Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Now I get it and I completely understand your point and agree with it.

What I am saying is that you make it so **** enticing that even if it’s a no, they went all in and use that plan then to move to the next best qualified person in the list.

Sure that makes sense. But I think the most likely scenario is he’s out very early, letting us know that it’s not possible. I don’t think it’ll ever even get to that point. That’s just my opinion.

Advertisement
Now I get it and I completely understand your point and agree with it.

What I am saying is that you make it so **** enticing that even if it’s a no, they went all in and use that plan then to move to the next best qualified person in the list.
Recruiting Mario will be like recruiting a HS player. You want to get the recruit? Get to his mom or grandma.

Gotta get to Mario's wife and family. Just selling him won't work. Gotta sell the whole family.

****, shoot your best shot. IDGAF if he says "No". Not the end of the world. But shoot your shot and walk away knowing that you gave him your best sales pitch, gave him the best offer you can give him salary wise and leave it at that.

This city as a whole has lost out on players and coaches before in the pros and in college. It wont be the end of the world.

No they haven't won it all but they've come **** close. Mario has an ego just like the rest of them and I'm quite sure he's confident he can get it done there. I don't think any mythical idea that there's some glass ceiling that it's impossible Oregon can ever win a national championship is going to drive him out of town. **** they were just a few plays away in 2010. That's 8 years more recent than we've sniffed it.
I don’t necessarily think there’s a glass ceiling there but it’s going to be more difficult there than at Miami. He is recruiting at a high level now but if USC hires a good coach it’ll become much more difficult to raid SoCal for players. Plus the PAC-12 is extremely difficult to make the playoffs in, you’d almost have to win out to make it. Not saying the ACC is leaps and bounds better but I’d take my chances as 1 loss team in the ACC over the PAC-12.

Advertisement
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
I wonder what the average final ranking was/is of Mario’s 4 wins. The final ranking is really all that matters, right?

It’s still a moot point when compared to UM’s record since 2006. His resume is much better.

Just saw where Moorehead and Salave’ are in consideration for the WASSU head coaching vacancy.

Mario is the most logical hire this program has had in recent years, he would run the Coastal!

Crossing my fingers that the powers to be are able to provide an infrastructure to get this man back home!

Brotha man, the ACC is just as much a joke. Its embarassing that we will go yet another year without winning it and this was the year to do it.

The Pac10 is one big USC hire away from swinging back there way. USC is a sleeping giant just like UM is. They just need the right HC..Just like we do. Mario better think long and hard before assuming that he will just run through the Pac10 for next decade.

The amount of ground that we need to cover in order to get past clemson on a regular basis is significantly more ground than....well, oregon doesn't have to cover any ground.

Yeah, I know USC is a "sleeping giant" but they are a few years away (at least) from that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
First of all, I’m not your bud.

Secondly, find the post where I said his chances of coming here are equal to zero.

Finally, I didn’t see any posts were any of these guys that actually know him say that there’s even a decent chance of him coming here.

Being interested, which is natural because it’s your alma mater, or listening, is not the same as making the decision to come because it’s best for your career.

But you go on and keep on with your delusion you’ll be crying when he doesn’t come, saying that we didn’t offer enough or whatever nonsense comes into your head.
Any poster who cries or gets upset because Mario turns us down hasnt been a Cane fan long enough. Nobody should invest that much into Mario. Stating a case is one thing. Getting let down is something totally different. We dont agree on much regarding this topic, but I agree with you there.

Just saw where Moorehead and Salave’ are in consideration for the WASSU head coaching vacancy.

Mario is the most logical hire this program has had in recent years, he would run the Coastal!

Crossing my fingers that the powers to be are able to provide an infrastructure to get this man back home!

I would add to the drama...Joe Moorehead was Bob Shoop's boss at MSU. Moorehead was the offensive strategist and Shoop was his DC. Have no idea if they had an amicable relationship but there are several ties between UM and UO.

Here’s the thing…there’s not s single coach out there other than Saban who could come in here a be a sure thing guaranteed success.

That said, Mario (and several others) are not bad choices when you consider the above.

Heard the same, but the only way Mario listens is if there is a full blown commitment to athletics and resources for staff and infrastructure. Mario is set for life and it's not about money for him. He'll make his money. He wants to win. Sick part is, I'd bet Highsmith comes in to help with personnel and run the team like a GM sort of and this is the same spot we were in 3 years ago with this exact scenario on the table.
We apparently had to hit rock bottom, i.e. called out on national TV, before being motivated enough to make it happen. It’s a **** shame too because it’s going to be a whole lot more expensive this time around.

Advertisement
timing is the big issue. Mario isn't leaving or announcing he's leaving until this year plays out. What if he makes the playoffs? And if he goes to the title game? And if we wins the title game? if any of the last two occur, i don't expect him here. Here's hoping he loses a game or two down the road.
So root for UCLA this weekend. Let’s go Bruins!!

We apparently had to hit rock bottom, i.e. called out on national TV, before being motivated enough to make it happen. It’s a **** shame too because it’s going to be a whole lot more expensive this time around.

It was always going to be expensive to get to where we need to be. So that really doesn’t matter. We were always going to have to spend a ton of money, and we still do need to. We just need to find some boosters that will step up.

Advertisement
This is purely speculation, but I suspect the culture gap between Oregon and Miami is a factor.

My family moved to Oregon from Cuba. Great place, we visit all the time, I was just in Eugene for a wedding. But there is no place more different than Miami on the map. The air, the slow drizzle of rain, the chill atmosphere v. the intensity, the fact that everyone is white. And football is just not as big of a deal.

Cubans come back to Miami if the money makes sense. And remember, Oregon has one of the highest state income taxes in the country. The biggest draw for him to stay at Oregon is likely the roster he assembled. They are set up for success.
This. Those that are from here (Miami) know that most people either hate it (or at least they say they do and say they want to move but rarely do) or couldn’t see themselves living anywhere else. I think the allure of being back home in front of your community means a lot. At least it would to me.

We’ve had “Miami guys” as coaches but none that check as many of the boxes as Mario.

1. Randy- native, alum, 1 NC as player, long time Miami assistant coach and coordinator, no HC experience.

2. Richt- Boca guy (not Miami proper-for those that say you’re from Miami in college but are from Delray), alum, player, No NC, successful SEC HC. Best thing we’ve had in the last 20 years.

3. Manolo- Miami native, did not play CFB (don’t know if he played HS really), FSU alum, has spent the majority of his adult life outside of Miami, 3 years as UM DC, no HC experience.

4. Cristobal???- Miami Native (de wechehte), 2 NCs as player, 3 stints as a coach at Miami (technically 4 but we all know what happened) , FIU head coach, Now Oregon HC. Not to mention his time under Saban and Butch as an assistant and JJ and Erickson as a player.

We don’t necessarily need a “Miami Guy” but none of our previous “Miami guys” have the overall pedigree Mario does with the exception of Richt’s coaching experience.

Manny is Catalina croquetas. Mario is Islas Canarias croquetas. Nothing against Catalina, but iykyk.

Here’s the thing…there’s not s single coach out there other than Saban who could come in here a be a sure thing guaranteed success.

That said, Mario (and several others) are not bad choices when you consider the above.
I actually think Urbie is the more versatile college coach than Sabag. Not that he's better when either are in their most compatible settings but that Urbie could go anywhere in the country and have an elite level of college success (before he gets "health issues") whereas I don't think Sabag necessarily could match his SEC level of success at let's say a USC or a Pedo State or even here.

One thing to say about Mario a former OL himself .. His OL are mean, violent … Great ones!

IF He can accomplish that at UM ( I believe he can ) ..our beloved CANES will be 50% BETTER instantly and beating bunch of acc mofos.

if he brings that physicality to the the whole team.. our beloved CANES will be 80% better instantly and in good battles with TOP 10 teams

You forgot a few extra X factors..

You win a national title at Oregon and people would view that as really cool. Might even get Phil Knight to invite you to house for dinner on weekends.

But **** you win the **** ACC title at UM right now and he will never have to buy a meal or drink in this town again.

He wins a national title? He is a god and ESPN filmmakers are knocking at his door to start production on "The U part 3".

It just wont compare. He has to know this. He just has to.
Could you imagine all the free cafecito and pastelitos?

Advertisement
Back