Interesting stat on Miami/Mario

Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

Mario is 4-1 against Top 10 teams since he arrived at Oregon.

Since 2006, Miami is 2-13. And the average score is 36-16.

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.

Going to repeat what I said in the other thread since it pertains to Mario- if you add up his likely salary request and his 10 mil buyout, you are looking at a HC who would cost almost as much money as Nick Saban. I like Mario, but I don't think he's worth Nick Saban money. His total cost would be more than the average salary of a NFL HC by nearly 2 million. You'd have to think he would need to all but guarantee another championship for that kind of money.

Advertisement
Based on information, I expect us to make an aggressive run at Mario. There are boosters with difference-making money who want him as our coach. My guess is the struggle will be between the potential loaded Oregon roster and the appeal of saving his alma mater.

Some posters have pointed out Mario's occasional losses to inferior teams. It's a fair point, and he reminds me of Butch in that respect. But this stat jumps out to me, both for what it says about Mario and what it says about Miami:

The Notre Dame game felt so special because it was so unusual. Whoever our next coach is, one of the most obvious areas for improvement is big-game performance.
This can't be said any better. And the folks looking at his team and saying that there are some close games are missing this point. He has that team miles ahead of where we are. Can you imagine at any point in a long time going into OSU and winning easily? Please, its not even close. I'll take him and his recruiting and we'll see if the talent out weighs whatever game day issues are there, as it did with Butch at the end (other than not giving the ball to portis enough in Washington)

Going to repeat what I said in the other thread since it pertains to Mario- if you add up his likely salary request and his 10 mil buyout, you are looking at a HC who would cost almost as much money as Nick Saban. I like Mario, but I don't think he's worth Nick Saban money. His total cost would be more than the average salary of a NFL HC by nearly 2 million. You'd have to think he would all be guarantee another championship for that kind of money.
It's not my money.

I was about to take his interest in the Bama job as a red flag, but you know what? It's a blessing. Slap a $20M buyout clause on our born and raised Cuban Nick Saban and if he succeeds here and goes to Bama we're swimming in cash.

Been 20 god **** years since we've had a coach worth a **** of being poached.
To be fair if he’s winning here and has total program control, why leave?

Advertisement
Another positive with Mario is he’d possibly save this class , keeping most guys and adding some new guys. Maybe even squeezing out a top 20 class. He’d also also make kids rethink hitting the portal.
Redding seems like portal candidate hasn't seen the field for whatever reason.

Going to repeat what I said in the other thread since it pertains to Mario- if you add up his likely salary request and his 10 mil buyout, you are looking at a HC who would cost almost as much money as Nick Saban. I like Mario, but I don't think he's worth Nick Saban money. His total cost would be more than the average salary of a NFL HC by nearly 2 million. You'd have to think he would need to all but guarantee another championship for that kind of money.
I think the big factor here is the fact that if successful (BIG IF) then we could be looking at our coach for the next few decades. So the opportunity cost is potentially worth it. You pay the big bucks now to secure a guy that will probably never leave unless the NFL comes calling in which case means you've completely turned around the program.

But that's obviously a huge if. Either way, stability is a **** of an asset to have in college football and people would be wise to invest in the short term to reap the long term benefits.

Advertisement
You think Miami would survive an Urban tenure? Imagine Urban...in South Beach? It’s like giving a recovering crack addict a pipe and some pure... He’d lose his god**** mind in SFLA.
So would Hugh Freeze

These guys can eat all the white girl booty they want as long as they win football games.

A suite in a 5 star hotel with complementary floozies should be part of our sales pitch.

I don’t see Mario coming here for many reasons

I’m conflicted on him as a coach but the money and commitment aspects push it up a notch for me

Same time if we announced Diaz was out and he hired Mario, I would be a happy guy but I don’t want to fall into the trap of “at least he’s better than the last guy” mindset

Advertisement
Another positive with Mario is he’d possibly save this class , keeping most guys and adding some new guys. Maybe even squeezing out a top 20 class. He’d also also make kids rethink hitting the portal.
All In Poker GIF by PokerStars

It's not my money.

It's not so much about money as it is opportunity costs. Which is more likely to bring a national championship:

1. Pay Cristobal the equivalent to 8 million per year and then giving him a budget for coordinators that would need to be in the sub 2 million range

2. Hiring a coach like Freeze or Herman for 5-6 million (Herman would probably cost even way less than that for his first two years) and giving them the ability to hire the best coordinators in cfb, with virtually no budget limitations? He could have a Bama sized staff of analysts. One thing we've learned is that most championship teams have elite staffs. Teams with a good HC and bunch of potatoes as assistant coaches don't usually go far.

Personally I think the latter option gives you a far greater chance of success, yet the cost is nearly identical to option 1.

I'm pro Cristobal, I'm just saying the BOT needs to take odd the "Miami guy" beer goggles and consider how to build an elite staff if Mario says no instead of defaulting to Chud.

Miami can be a good job, it certainly is a diamond in the rough, but it needs the right people and better support.
Miami, USC and Texas jobs are always sleeping giants if only because of the recruiting grounds they reside in. When USC was in their dynasty era NO big time recruit in Cali left that state. The only one I can think of that broke the mold and it was because USC was on the downswing was DeAnthony Thomas who ironically went to Oregon. (DeSean Jackson went to Cal-Berkeley over USC for ego reasons) But thats it. They had the state on lock and won alot of games and a few national titles.

Same with Texas. And the same can be for UM.

You get a coach who knows how to recruit with the best of them (Mario), is HIGHLY respected by local coaches and wont have an issue with local BS HS coaching politics (Mario), who knows the city and how much UM being back would mean to the city of Miami (Mario), will embrace WINNING and how much former alumni mean to the program (Mario), has track record of AT THE VERY LEAST winning conference titles (Mario), and loves UM (Mario) and wont accept failure because he was taught how to run a program by the GOAT himself in Nick Saban (MARIO) and we will be on that ABC/ESPN national championship game podium within 3-4 years. I think thats how long it took Jimbo to win his national title at FSU with his core being SoFla recruits.

Put your faith in Mario.

Advertisement

Talent always wins if it's stacked. Will he lose to inferior teams? Maybe. Unless that roster is completely loaded and he's four classes in on getting who he wants. If there are huge misses in his classes from sfla then expect losses. That goes for anyone IMO.

When you combine the fact of the roster he’s built, with the institutional support he already enjoys (as I mentioned previously everything from funding to facilities, the money, all that), add in the fan support, there’s not a package that we could put together that would drive him here.

That’s my opinion based on trying to be objective. And I love Miami more than anything, but it’s a hard truth for me.

Not that we shouldn’t try, but I’m finding it hard to believe anything we could come up with that would draw a logical nod to Miami as a better job

Have to factor in the things outside of the job. In every walk of life, people turn down or leave a great job if it means a better quality of life, so as long as the benefits between the jobs in terms of money arent polar opposites

from what I've read, his buyout drops to under $7m after January. We'd have to pay SOMEONE's buyout anyway and based on the pool of folks we're looking at, we'll have to pay something in the $4m-$8m range anyhow. And, we'd be offering $5-6m anyhow, so I don't see Mario costing THAT much more than the other potentials.

His buyout drops to 6.5 in January. That’s not an issue. His salary will likely be in the 6-6.5 million range. Money isn’t what he’ll be worrying about, he’ll need Miami
to prove they’re taking football serious and have a plan.

Advertisement
Back