Interesting note on grad transfers

The only argument against taking a one year grad transfer is that the younger guys won't get as much burn. However, when a large number of the younger guys shouldn't even be on scholarship at Miami, what's the purpose of giving THOSE guys any playing time? The incoming freshmen are going to pass the Golden specials on the depth chart anyway so why be concerned about giving guys like Knowles, Henley, Mayes and James playing time at all? You've got Young, Dean and probably Delaney getting starters reps at CB with Bandy and Redwine getting reserve minutes. (Bandy may end up getting starter reps) Now you've got Johnson and Finley/Carter getting first team safety reps with Jackson getting reserve minutes. You can afford to add another grad transfer safety to either compete for the spot opposite Johnson or for added depth with the second unit. The rest of the guys listed at safety should never play unless it's 70-0.

Advertisement
Y'all can continue to whine about dbs but the reality of the situation is that we have an elite front 7 so those guys will get help regardless and playing in this scheme will help them as well. Not worried about db, i want to see how the qb situation unfolds and how o-line develops with another spring and offseason training under their belt more than anything...

I'd go after Delaney that's it. We don't need a safety, there's enough depth and competition to field a serviceable unit. IMO

Where is all this talent at safety?

Johnson, Finley , Carter and Smith
.....at least one of the two freshman should be good enough, especially with our front seven wreaking havic. Redwine could end up being a really good safety if they decide to move him there. Right now we don't know much about the others, but we can't completely rule them out of the rotation.

They are unknowns. What the **** is wrong with yall? The coaches want to win now. The coaches know these guys and evidently they feel they need more.

Most college teams have unknowns. If they think that low of our frosh and soph classes why did they sign them? I understand having insurance..... nothing wrong with that....I happen to believe this staff can coach with the best of them..I have no problem getting another safety if they want one.... just don't think we need one, especially with Redwine capable of making the move.... he already knows the scheme it makes sense.....IMO

Last edited:
It is very likely that Miami pursues grad transfers at BOTH corner and safety.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

Delaney is an NFL corner that we can rent for a year at our weakest position in terms of depth. Absolute no-brainer.#

I hear your point a little more with regard to safety, but we have no one that is a proven consistent player there and we need to solidify the group if we are going to make a run at the ACC Championship Game, which we should expect this season. If a guy comes in and it is even close between him and one of the young guys, gotta figure the coaches will favor the young guy.

Yeah I also think we should take Delaney but I'm talking about taking another grad transfer on top of that seem alittle excessive. Let's see what Jaquan, Finley, dean, bandy, redwine, Jackson,carter,smith young, delaney can do.

The fact that the coaching staff who has watched hours of tape and seen them for hours on the practice field wants to take two grad transfers would seem to indicate that they do have an idea of what those guys can (or can't) do.

Question for mods - I tried to ignore Brock but the feed still shows that he posted something - just doesn't show the content. Is there any way to make these posts disappear completely, as if they never existed? 50% of this thread is posts by Brock.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

all colleges do this but we really need d line help since we didn't get no jucos like many schools.

Advertisement
Michael Jackson flashed during the last 5 games of last season. I'm expecting some crow eating from those who are counting him out and basing their opinion of him on who else wanted him.

Not reading past the first page - two clear things.....Brock needs a time out.....we need secondary depth as there are multiple unknowns going into the spring/season....

Can't agree with you on this one Brock. Clearly Mark Richt both understands the fan's expectations for 2017 and also has those same high expectations of the team for 2017. No way can they use 2017 as a way to groom the young guys. If they find grad transfers at CB and at S for 2017, I'm great with that. There will be plenty of time, especially with a couple of cream puffs before FSU, to let the young guys get some experience and then sprinkle them in for the rest of the season.

There is not substitute for winning. It cures all.

Advertisement
Michael Jackson flashed during the last 5 games of last season. I'm expecting some crow eating from those who are counting him out and basing their opinion of him on who else wanted him.

Flashed what? I dont even remember him getting on the field.

Y'all can continue to whine about dbs but the reality of the situation is that we have an elite front 7 so those guys will get help regardless and playing in this scheme will help them as well. Not worried about db, i want to see how the qb situation unfolds and how o-line develops with another spring and offseason training under their belt more than anything...

I'd go after Delaney that's it. We don't need a safety, there's enough depth and competition to field a serviceable unit. IMO

Where is all this talent at safety?

Johnson, Finley , Carter and Smith
.....at least one of the two freshman should be good enough, especially with our front seven wreaking havic. Redwine could end up being a really good safety if they decide to move him there. Right now we don't know much about the others, but we can't completely rule them out of the rotation.

They are unknowns. What the **** is wrong with yall? The coaches want to win now. The coaches know these guys and evidently they feel they need more.

Most college teams have unknowns. If they think that low of our frosh and soph classes why did they sign them? I understand having insurance..... nothing wrong with that....I happen to believe this staff can coach with the best of them..I have no problem getting another safety if they want one.... just don't think we need one, especially with Redwine capable of making the move.... he already knows the scheme it makes sense.....IMO

Flashed what? I dont even remember him getting on the field.

What bigtime safety grad transfer do you think we should get to replace what was lost?

I like conpetition. The more bodies there are the more competetion it breeds. I also trust this staff. Much more then I trust broke.

Advertisement
I don't know what u want me to say?? Maybe U could go back and watch those games, especially on special teams where he, Walton, and Homer flying down there on kick coverage and killing people. Many coaches cite special teams play as an indicator of performance maturation and development.

[MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION] The benefits of getting another grad transfer in are:
Holding a ship for only a year
Making Miami a destination for players with something to prove with 1 year to play
Creating competition. Think if another kid can beat out current players, it makes us better. If current kids can beat out GT, then we better for the comp and may get a special teammer!

Delaney received an NFL draft grade, if you have an open spot, I don't see how he hurts you in any way.

Advertisement
[MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION] The benefits of getting another grad transfer in are:
Making Miami a destination for players with something to prove with 1 year to play
Creating competition. Think if another kid can beat out current players, it makes us better. If current kids can beat out GT, then we better for the comp and may get a special teammer!

I uunderstand that. I'm all for taking Delaney and have stated that earlier in the thread

And most importantly, he can help us win games.

It's posts like this that make me question the football IQ of our fans. We have scholarships to give. We are limited by the "initial qualifier" rule (which grad transfers don't count against). We have encountered success with a guy like Colbert who not only played, but is now helping us in recruiting. The grad transfers are here FOR A YEAR, so they don't interfere with the development of the loaded Class of 2018.

There's not a single negative, except for the faulty logic of "build with the talent we have" and "got to get the young guys experience". Yeah, it's not "one or the other". As we saw with Colbert, he missed games due to injury, plenty of young guys played. Yet, somehow, we build this false myth that a grad transfer or two will somehow destroy the development of young players, ignoring the fact that if Golden hadn't **** the bed so badly on recruiting, we would have a senior or two on the team still.

And let's not even get started on how last year's 4-game losing streak damaged our recruiting momentum with the top targets. People always talk about "if we win, they will come", and then we get "play the freshmen" and you can't have both at the same time.

So, it's either give the open scholarships to grad transfers, or walk-ons.
We are already taking one in Delaney right? That's good

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

It's not as dire as a situation as people trying to make it out to be. We have seen worse...
A GREAT front 7 helps improve the play of the dbs by default

Added depth only helps out. Competition brings out the best in players. If Miami can land a quality grad transfer at safety, it forces the other guys to step up their games. We have FSU week 3, outside of Jaquan, we have no one proven - unless you want FSU to get 8 in a row on us.

Since when have fsu receivers ever done anything against Miami in the last couple of games? Their offense ran through dalvin. It will be a learning curve there too. Plus young and redwine each started and or played in pretty much every game last year. And bring back plenty of experience.Young definitely had a bunch of time in the last 5 games. In fact he started quite a few down the stretch. **** Michael Jackson too, he played great against wvu who had better receivers than fsu and a more explosive than fsu imo

Yeah, and we had a senior laden starting secondary last year. You throw out freshman and guys who've barely played, it gives FSU another hole to exploit. You may want to take a look at FSU's offenses while Jimbo's been there. When they had Jameis, they were more of a passing team and Frenchie isn't some scrub as we've found out.

Having a grad transfer safety isn't bad at all. Right now, if we have one injury to Jaquan (critical here), Finley, or Carter who are our top 3 safeties, we're in trouble. Notice that you're the only one on here who thinks a grad transfer at the position is a bad thing.

Advertisement
Back