Interesting note on grad transfers

We definitely could use a veteran grad transfer at safety especially if we can get one as talented as Colbert was for us at corner last year. I don't see how getting one would be a bad thing at all, it would only help our other safeties that have no experience , and if a player already on roster beats him out so be it the added competition is still a plus.

Advertisement
It is very likely that Miami pursues grad transfers at BOTH corner and safety.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

It's posts like this that make me question the football IQ of our fans. We have scholarships to give. We are limited by the "initial qualifier" rule (which grad transfers don't count against). We have encountered success with a guy like Colbert who not only played, but is now helping us in recruiting. The grad transfers are here FOR A YEAR, so they don't interfere with the development of the loaded Class of 2018.

There's not a single negative, except for the faulty logic of "build with the talent we have" and "got to get the young guys experience". Yeah, it's not "one or the other". As we saw with Colbert, he missed games due to injury, plenty of young guys played. Yet, somehow, we build this false myth that a grad transfer or two will somehow destroy the development of young players, ignoring the fact that if Golden hadn't **** the bed so badly on recruiting, we would have a senior or two on the team still.

And let's not even get started on how last year's 4-game losing streak damaged our recruiting momentum with the top targets. People always talk about "if we win, they will come", and then we get "play the freshmen" and you can't have both at the same time.

So, it's either give the open scholarships to grad transfers, or walk-ons.
We are already taking one in Delaney right? That's good

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine - Should be a safety but might not be physical enough
Henley - FIU/FAU
Mayes - FIU/FAU
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley - Unknown
Carter - Unknown
Jackson(cb or safety) -Unknown
Knowles - Unknown, possibly too slow
Smith - Unknown, probable redshirt
James - Unknown, project

It's not as dire as a situation as people trying to make it out to be. We have seen worse...
A GREAT front 7 helps improve the play of the dbs by default

Just sayin'...

Diaz seems way down on Knowles and James. Think Redwine could ball at free safety. That being said, would love to have two more veterans with an early season trip to Tallahassee on the slab.

Bummer on Clemson transfer. I don't see why coaches didn't just fly him down, have the medical team check him out and run him through some drills to see if he could still perform. The kid had skills coming out of HS. So it was just a question of his recovery.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

Delaney is an NFL corner that we can rent for a year at our weakest position in terms of depth. Absolute no-brainer.#

I hear your point a little more with regard to safety, but we have no one that is a proven consistent player there and we need to solidify the group if we are going to make a run at the ACC Championship Game, which we should expect this season. If a guy comes in and it is even close between him and one of the young guys, gotta figure the coaches will favor the young guy.

Yeah I also think we should take Delaney but I'm talking about taking another grad transfer on top of that seem alittle excessive. Let's see what Jaquan, Finley, dean, bandy, redwine, Jackson,carter,smith young, delaney can do.

The coached already know what those kids can do.. I don't care to lose a game or 2 because we pass on a 1 year kid that can help on the back end.. Colbert did a great job, even though he got hurt.. we are thin on the back end and need some ballers.. bring in 2 kids and let's go compete...

Advertisement

Delaney is an NFL corner that we can rent for a year at our weakest position in terms of depth. Absolute no-brainer.#

I hear your point a little more with regard to safety, but we have no one that is a proven consistent player there and we need to solidify the group if we are going to make a run at the ACC Championship Game, which we should expect this season. If a guy comes in and it is even close between him and one of the young guys, gotta figure the coaches will favor the young guy.

Yeah I also think we should take Delaney but I'm talking about taking another grad transfer on top of that seem alittle excessive. Let's see what Jaquan, Finley, dean, bandy, redwine, Jackson,carter,smith young, delaney can do.

The coached already know what those kids can do.. I don't care to lose a game or 2 because we pass on a 1 year kid that can help on the back end.. Colbert did a great job, even though he got hurt.. we are thin on the back end and need some ballers.. bring in 2 kids and let's go compete...

Have to prioritize winning this year and let next year sort itself out.

Advertisement
Back