Interesting note on grad transfers

All because I said one stop gaps dont help build depth like that and you guys are ready to jump down my throat? Smh

Advertisement
It is very likely that Miami pursues grad transfers at BOTH corner and safety.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

It's posts like this that make me question the football IQ of our fans. We have scholarships to give. We are limited by the "initial qualifier" rule (which grad transfers don't count against). We have encountered success with a guy like Colbert who not only played, but is now helping us in recruiting. The grad transfers are here FOR A YEAR, so they don't interfere with the development of the loaded Class of 2018.

There's not a single negative, except for the faulty logic of "build with the talent we have" and "got to get the young guys experience". Yeah, it's not "one or the other". As we saw with Colbert, he missed games due to injury, plenty of young guys played. Yet, somehow, we build this false myth that a grad transfer or two will somehow destroy the development of young players, ignoring the fact that if Golden hadn't **** the bed so badly on recruiting, we would have a senior or two on the team still.

And let's not even get started on how last year's 4-game losing streak damaged our recruiting momentum with the top targets. People always talk about "if we win, they will come", and then we get "play the freshmen" and you can't have both at the same time.

So, it's either give the open scholarships to grad transfers, or walk-ons.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

I think Brock is trolling all of us. Always first one in with some questionable view that derails a solid post by Pete.

To **** with lsu. We need to win now.

Delaney would be a huge addition for us. He would most likely start from the outside opposite of Dean/Young. It really seems like Bandy will most likely get to start at NCB. That worries me a bit but he'll have to take his lumps.

Pete, any word on the Miss State S/CB grad transfer Cedric Jiles that was rumored to be looking at Miami?

If we get Delaney my hope is that MYoung is the Nickel and we can ease Bandy into that Dime spot.

Doesnt mean young kicks inside. The staff did talk to dean about possibly playing some nickel.

Advertisement
If Dee Delaney entered the NFL Draft, he would be drafted.

I'm definitely on board with getting him on campus. 6'0" 190 4.5 running CB with ball skills can play here in some capacity. Might not be a starter, but he adds good depth. He's also got some experience against ACC schools...UNC, FSU.

It's posts like this that make me question the football IQ of our fans. We have scholarships to give. We are limited by the "initial qualifier" rule (which grad transfers don't count against). We have encountered success with a guy like Colbert who not only played, but is now helping us in recruiting. The grad transfers are here FOR A YEAR, so they don't interfere with the development of the loaded Class of 2018.

There's not a single negative, except for the faulty logic of "build with the talent we have" and "got to get the young guys experience". Yeah, it's not "one or the other". As we saw with Colbert, he missed games due to injury, plenty of young guys played. Yet, somehow, we build this false myth that a grad transfer or two will somehow destroy the development of young players, ignoring the fact that if Golden hadn't **** the bed so badly on recruiting, we would have a senior or two on the team still.

And let's not even get started on how last year's 4-game losing streak damaged our recruiting momentum with the top targets. People always talk about "if we win, they will come", and then we get "play the freshmen" and you can't have both at the same time.

We are already taking one in Delaney right? That's good

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

It's not as dire as a situation as people trying to make it out to be. We have seen worse...
A GREAT front 7 helps improve the play of the dbs by default

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

It's not as dire as a situation as people trying to make it out to be. We have seen worse...

Added depth only helps out. Competition brings out the best in players. If Miami can land a quality grad transfer at safety, it forces the other guys to step up their games. We have FSU week 3, outside of Jaquan, we have no one proven - unless you want FSU to get 8 in a row on us.

Al Golden would have just played freshmen and used the "youth" excuse as to why his defense finished 113th in the nation.

Advertisement

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

Added depth only helps out. Competition brings out the best in players. If Miami can land a quality grad transfer at safety, it forces the other guys to step up their games. We have FSU week 3, outside of Jaquan, we have no one proven - unless you want FSU to get 8 in a row on us.

Since when have fsu receivers ever done anything against Miami in the last couple of games? Their offense ran through dalvin. It will be a learning curve there too. Plus young and redwine each started and or played in pretty much every game last year. And bring back plenty of experience.Young definitely had a bunch of time in the last 5 games. In fact he started quite a few down the stretch. **** Michael Jackson too, he played great against wvu who had better receivers than fsu and a more explosive than fsu imo

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

Majority of those dudes are just not good. Having bodies isnt the same as having actual guys who can play.

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

Majority of those dudes are just not good. Having bodies isnt the same as having actual guys who can play.

And you know that by how? Coaching will make everyone of those guys better. I think you are underselling some of the players

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine - Should be a safety but might not be physical enough
Henley - FIU/FAU
Mayes - FIU/FAU
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley - Unknown
Carter - Unknown
Jackson(cb or safety) -Unknown
Knowles - Unknown, possibly too slow
Smith - Unknown, probable redshirt
James - Unknown, project

Just sayin'...

Advertisement

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

And you know that by how? Coaching will make everyone of those guys better. I think you are underselling some of the players

The coaches know it because they are going after grad transfers.

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

I love it when people defend their position by simply listing all the names on the roster, and not bothering to draw a line where they would stop trusting the rest of the names on the list.

And that's the point. Sure, we have depth to scrimmage ourselves. But we've always gone with "steel sharpens steel", so I'm not sure that I'm going to trust the stats when Vincent Testaverde puts up 3 TDs on Ryan Mayes.

A quality grad transfer comes in at or near the top of the depth chart, and forestalls the eventuality of having to line up Ryan Mayes on, say, Ermon Lane.

The saddest part of this is that people are completely unaware of how hard it is going to be to get back to 85 scholarship players WITH the "initial counter" rule in place. That's a rule we didn't have when Butch was coaching us. We are going to need near-perfect retention for a few years, and hope we don't have any more Cedrick Wright/Sam Bruce situations.

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine - Should be a safety but might not be physical enough
Henley - FIU/FAU
Mayes - FIU/FAU
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley - Unknown
Carter - Unknown
Jackson(cb or safety) -Unknown
Knowles - Unknown, possibly too slow
Smith - Unknown, probable redshirt
James - Unknown, project

Just sayin'...
Lol at listing unknown on Finley and carter but yet didn't do it for bandy and dean...

Advertisement

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

The coaches know it because they are going after grad transfers.

The coaches are going after graduate transfers at running back does that mean we don't have talent at a position that has walton, homer, gray, burns?..... come on now...

Our front 7 is loaded with goons and freaks. We have 2 guys returning that have played, and then question marks and rookies. Bringing in grad transfers is exactly what needs to happen to ensure we do not **** up having the best defensive front 7 we have had in 10+ years. Richt knows what he can accomplish this year. **** 2018. That will take care of itself. We have the schedule, the defense and the offensive play makers to win big this year, so don't let it pass us!

I'd go after Delaney that's it. We don't need a safety, there's enough depth and competition to field a serviceable unit. IMO

Richt, Diaz, Kool, and Rumph know what it's supposed to look like with the back four and obviously they see we don't have that... we can have college football on the ropes as far as recruiting if we get 10 wins and ACC championships bid. On top of that a great chance to beat fsu early in the year at their place... let's stop playing games and get the job done bring on the grad transfers. I'm done with the Al Golden way of thinking. No more jags!!!

Advertisement
Back