Interesting note on grad transfers

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

It's posts like this that make me question the football IQ of our fans. We have scholarships to give. We are limited by the "initial qualifier" rule (which grad transfers don't count against). We have encountered success with a guy like Colbert who not only played, but is now helping us in recruiting. The grad transfers are here FOR A YEAR, so they don't interfere with the development of the loaded Class of 2018.

There's not a single negative, except for the faulty logic of "build with the talent we have" and "got to get the young guys experience". Yeah, it's not "one or the other". As we saw with Colbert, he missed games due to injury, plenty of young guys played. Yet, somehow, we build this false myth that a grad transfer or two will somehow destroy the development of young players, ignoring the fact that if Golden hadn't **** the bed so badly on recruiting, we would have a senior or two on the team still.

And let's not even get started on how last year's 4-game losing streak damaged our recruiting momentum with the top targets. People always talk about "if we win, they will come", and then we get "play the freshmen" and you can't have both at the same time.

So, it's either give the open scholarships to grad transfers, or walk-ons.
We are already taking one in Delaney right? That's good

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

It's not as dire as a situation as people trying to make it out to be. We have seen worse...
A GREAT front 7 helps improve the play of the dbs by default

Majority of those dudes are just not good. Having bodies isnt the same as having actual guys who can play.

And you know that by how? Coaching will make everyone of those guys better. I think you are underselling some of the players

Man a lot of them dudes should not even be at miami. James, jackson, henley, knowles, mayes shouldnt be here. That's almost half the DBs on the roster.

Advertisement

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

It's not as dire as a situation as people trying to make it out to be. We have seen worse...

Majority of those dudes are just not good. Having bodies isnt the same as having actual guys who can play.

And you know that by how? Coaching will make everyone of those guys better. I think you are underselling some of the players

The coaches know it because they are going after grad transfers.

The coaches are going after graduate transfers at running back does that mean we don't have talent at a position that has walton, homer, gray, burns?..... come on now...

Yes. Gray has never did anything and burns hasnt been healthy in 2 years.

It's posts like this that make me question the football IQ of our fans. We have scholarships to give. We are limited by the "initial qualifier" rule (which grad transfers don't count against). We have encountered success with a guy like Colbert who not only played, but is now helping us in recruiting. The grad transfers are here FOR A YEAR, so they don't interfere with the development of the loaded Class of 2018.

There's not a single negative, except for the faulty logic of "build with the talent we have" and "got to get the young guys experience". Yeah, it's not "one or the other". As we saw with Colbert, he missed games due to injury, plenty of young guys played. Yet, somehow, we build this false myth that a grad transfer or two will somehow destroy the development of young players, ignoring the fact that if Golden hadn't **** the bed so badly on recruiting, we would have a senior or two on the team still.

And let's not even get started on how last year's 4-game losing streak damaged our recruiting momentum with the top targets. People always talk about "if we win, they will come", and then we get "play the freshmen" and you can't have both at the same time.

So, it's either give the open scholarships to grad transfers, or walk-ons.

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

Man a lot of them dudes should not even be at miami. James, jackson, henley, knowles, mayes shouldnt be here. That's almost half the DBs on the roster.
Outside of Jackson each of them are 3rd stringers.... Jackson was one of the best dbs in bama in 2015 and was offered by Miami,clemson and a number of other schools

Advertisement

The coaches are going after graduate transfers at running back does that mean we don't have talent at a position that has walton, homer, gray, burns?..... come on now...

Gray coming off an ACL and Burns seen in a walking boot first day on campus. Come on now...

Gotta trust Brock here. I don't think the staff has nearly the grasp of the roster situation as he does.

45acb40396f0195ea25e62d147216318.gif

Gray coming off an ACL and Burns seen in a walking boot first day on campus. Come on now...

And it's smart to do that at that postion. I'm all for bringing a guy like tyshone dye to Miami due to numbers

Delaney would be a huge addition for us. He would most likely start from the outside opposite of Dean/Young. It really seems like Bandy will most likely get to start at NCB. That worries me a bit but he'll have to take his lumps.

Pete, any word on the Miss State S/CB grad transfer Cedric Jiles that was rumored to be looking at Miami?

Dee Delaney is a very good CB. And he can also play Safety. So I'm not so sure we go after a second grad transfer Pete. We'll know more after Spring, but IMO Finley is going to be pretty good. And Johnson and Freshman Carter will play. And Knowles showed up last year in the Spring. So I think we will be OK if you factor in Delaney in reserve there if needed.

Advertisement
Y'all can continue to whine about dbs but the reality of the situation is that we have an elite front 7 so those guys will get help regardless and playing in this scheme will help them as well. Not worried about db, i want to see how the qb situation unfolds and how o-line develops with another spring and offseason training under their belt more than anything...

I'd go after Delaney that's it. We don't need a safety, there's enough depth and competition to field a serviceable unit. IMO

Where is all this talent at safety?

Johnson, Finley , Carter and Smith
.....at least one of the two freshman should be good enough, especially with our front seven wreaking havic. Redwine could end up being a really good safety if they decide to move him there. Right now we don't know much about the others, but we can't completely rule them out of the rotation.

It is very likely that Miami pursues grad transfers at BOTH corner and safety.

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Honestly I think we just need to build with the talent we have. Got to get the young guys experience in order to be ready for lsu next year. I guess we should take Dee Delaney but one stop gaps don't help the future like that in regards to building depth

Delaney is an NFL corner that we can rent for a year at our weakest position in terms of depth. Absolute no

If we have open scholarships why not? Cant take them with you imo I think we should get an OT too. So 3 Grad transfers would be good

At cb we have
Young
Dean
Bandy
Redwine
Henley
Mayes
Possibly(Delaney)

Safety
Johnson
Finley
Carter
Jackson(cb or safety)
Knowles
Smith
James

Outside of Jackson each of them are 3rd stringers.... Jackson was one of the best dbs in bama in 2015 and was offered by Miami,clemson and a number of other schools

Jackson didnt have a real offer from clemson. Best DB in bama and no bama or auburn offer. Yeah sounds like a great player.

Advertisement

Not saying they will actually land two guys, but if everything works the way they want, then it is very much in the picture for them to land two grad guys at DB.

Dee Delaney from The Citadel is visiting this weekend and Miami likes him at CB. No safety names set in stone just yet but remember more names will emerge after spring as some guys decide to move on from their current schools.

Delaney is an NFL corner that we can rent for a year at our weakest position in terms of depth. Absolute no

If we have open scholarships why not? Cant take them with you imo I think we should get an OT too. So 3 Grad transfers would be good

Guess I should rephrase, I'm all on board with taking Delaney, that comment was supposed to be directed to taking another guy in addition to him

I'd go after Delaney that's it. We don't need a safety, there's enough depth and competition to field a serviceable unit. IMO

Where is all this talent at safety?

Johnson, Finley , Carter and Smith
.....at least one of the two freshman should be good enough, especially with our front seven wreaking havic. Redwine could end up being a really good safety if they decide to move him there. Right now we don't know much about the others, but we can't completely rule them out of the rotation.

They are unknowns. What the **** is wrong with yall? The coaches want to win now. The coaches know these guys and evidently they feel they need more.

Jackson didnt have a real offer from clemson. Best DB in bama and no bama or auburn offer. Yeah sounds like a great player.
Yeah he did have an offer from clemson, he was also offered by lsu.... and uga.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.c..._georgia_latest_to_offer_sp.amp?client=safari

Clemson offers Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson Clemson Football Recruit Update | TigerNet

Last edited:
Advertisement

Yeah he did have an offer from clemson, he was also offered by lsu....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.c..._georgia_latest_to_offer_sp.amp?client=safari

Clemson offers Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson Clemson Football Recruit Update | TigerNet

Feel sorry for you if you actually believe he could have commited to lsu or clemson.

It shows how bad these dudes are when a dude like colbert was a safety at texas and never played and comes here and immediately starts at cb.

It shows how bad these dudes are when a dude like colbert was a safety at texas and never played and comes here and immediately starts at cb.

And he was pretty good this year and it shows good Mike rumph is as a coach.

We need the help to bridge the gap. Outside of Malek Young and the incoming '17 class Miami doesn't have anything at the CB position. Safety might be worse so please tell me how we can afford to not take a grad transfer and just live with who we have.

Advertisement
Back