Interesting breakdown of Gattis's redzone calls.

Advertisement
We have video showing Gattis coaching the wr, from spring til game week.. Now if you want to say its a **** job thats one thing but he is there, idk what he did at mich but here people were complaining he was coaching too much, now its not enough and he chilling on Mario's watch?! lol People say anything

who said he was over coaching?

he wasn't choice 1 as WR coach and was kinda it by default after B Mac left. I wont blame Mario there bc he didnt envision this either when he first set out to hire a staff.

People casting off Gattis are way too eager to jump the gun. Lashlee would routinely hit a brick wall against non conference opponents who were semi decent at defense, which is what TAMU is. In fact, I shudder to think what Lashlee would've done against TAMU with his calling 3 plays in 13 seconds -- all of them pass plays -- with our terrible receivers. Our defense would've been on the field for 55 minutes.

We know this isn't going to be a good offense for a myriad of reasons, but the real judge will be when we get to ACC play.

he wasn't choice 1 as WR coach and was kinda it by default after B Mac left. I wont blame Mario there bc he didnt envision this either when he first set out to hire a staff.

Bingo, it’s a simple numbers game. Coach to players ratio

Hence why the vast majority of teams have the OC coach QBs too

I’m hoping Gattis turns things around, but, it’s common knowledge he wasn’t Mario’s top 1-3 options for OC.

Let’s see what happens, but from a schematic standpoint we def took a step back in the passing game from Lashlee

But Lashlee’s run game was weak

It sounds like we are in Dan Enos_ Part Deux..

I just don’t know… I could be seeing it wrong… maybe I’m just too fired up about the improvement in the trenches and the run game so I’m not down with the put everything on Gattis line.

I didn’t love what I saw from TVD against Bethune (while Garcia looked like a smooth and confident operator to my eye) and I hated what I saw from TVD against Southern Miss.

Gattis ain’t a god… but I’m not ready to say he’s a bad OC.

He’s got TVD and Garcia who I believe both have the ability to be high level QBs (question for me is if TVD has the work ethic and hunger to be a pro - which is what Gattis is trying to do unsuccessfully this far), so success or failure will ultimately be decided by Gattis and his scheme and personnel choices.

Next couple games will tell the story…

Advertisement
Bingo, it’s a simple numbers game. Coach to players ratio

Hence why the vast majority of teams have the OC coach QBs too

I’m hoping Gattis turns things around, but, it’s common knowledge he wasn’t Mario’s top 1-3 options for OC.

Let’s see what happens, but from a schematic standpoint we def took a step back in the passing game from Lashlee

But Lashlee’s run game was weak
agreed. both have their positives and negatives. lashlees passing concepts were better for this current roster. gattis run concepts are much better than anything we did w lashlee.

I just don’t know… I could be seeing it wrong… maybe I’m just too fired up about the improvement in the trenches and the run game so I’m not down with the put everything on Gattis line.

I didn’t love what I saw from TVD against Bethune (while Garcia looked like a smooth and confident operator to my eye) and I hated what I saw from TVD against Southern Miss.

Gattis ain’t a god… but I’m not ready to say he’s a bad OC.

He’s got TVD and Garcia who I believe both have the ability to be high level QBs (question for me is if TVD has the work ethic and hunger to be a pro - which is what Gattis is trying to do unsuccessfully this far), so success or failure will ultimately be decided by Gattis and his scheme and personnel choices.

Next couple games will tell the story…
why are you so down on TVD? It comes thru in every post. He's certainly had struggles but he isn't the only one.

There was thread on it in camp, people saying he was being nitpicky with the wr, I dont keep track of who says what to bump it, its not that serious to me.. But it definitely happened..

Anyway, I am and have been openly stated a spread guy because its easier to learn, especially with college kid and 20 hour limits.. Pro style is a tough install in college, to expect running at high level when qb openly states he dont text other wr than restrepo and workout/golf with him and he loses him before big game and now expect others on same page in week 3 is tough..

I have stated issues with wr since #2 Buffalo WR was able to come to UM and snatch the #1 spot here FIRST DAY of practice should tell you something, Lashlee came in and also saw unit and went and got a transfer, fed him heavy and often.. Its not like the Unit was producing, Lashlee hit market and we tried to do the same but timing was off because of coaching change.. Multiple coaches have come to miami and seen the talent is not up to par and we have to hit portal..

Advertisement
Probably. One way or another yes it does. Lots of teaching moments on tape now. Gattis said almost verbatim.. if they're not executing it in the meeting room and on the practice field by now it's been scrapped. So they probably covered all of this in meeting rooms and understood it and **** the bed live game. If it keeps happening.. its coaching. Sometimes it takes a mistake in a game and teaching it with examples and then its fixed for good.

It's getting a bit overblown. Lashlee's system with Air raid concepts is supposed to be simple. This isn't simple. It's growing pains. It's gonna happen.

It just can't keep happening like it did with Enos. Stuff was never fixed. But you have a better WR room now than then, a QB who actually shows up to meetings, and plenty of dedicated analysts to cut up tape and cover all of the teaching moments and then some. Plus an easy game coming up to put some of this on tape AGAIN done correctly and a bye week to iron it all out. Zero excuses at this point.
Completely agree which is why I have that UNC game circled off the bye week.

It either looks the same as now or significantly better.

F*ck that's painful. Other than clearly having an ax to grind, this guy's pretty much on the money. He says Gattic can't call plays, but most of what he showed was the players not executing. Yes, that's on Gattis.

Fine, Gattis is f*cking up, but at least CiS can blame him for the right things. His problem isn't that he can't call plays, it's that he's not getting good performances out of his guys. His WR aren't getting open, catching, or blocking. They didn't get open enough, but they did enough that if they could catch or block I think we would have won.

And TVD? Get off his ***, who's he going to throw to? WR aren't getting open, and when they are they don't catch the ball. That's not on the QB or the OC, it's on the WRs and/or the WR coach. And we all know who that is.

Man what? Did you watch the same game I did? Maybe you don't understand route concepts vs defensive looks so i won't be rude.

But this is way far off bruh.

Wr don't just "GET OPEN". They need to be SCHEMED open. Gattis route concepts are elementary and left our QB and WRs out to dry all game long.

Durkin knew it too. Rewatch the game and watch how many of the routes run RIGHT into the teeth of the defense.

Gattis has some decent man beater concepts but his zone beater concepts are so trash.

I mean TWICE he drew up concepts that didn't even get us to the line to gain. Like wtf...

GATTIS blew this game period. Terrible redzone playcalling.

Durkin knew it and everytime we got in the redzone the safeties walked down in support and just blew up anything we tried to run

Y'all some silly MFs. Don't understand football and the crying for a coaching change after one game is worse than gator or nole tears.

Y'all some radical fanatics. You're not fans.

Not calling for coaching staff change or anything like that...

But the new reality in these days of ridiculous NIL $$$, annual player free agency movement and multi million dollar coach and assistants salaries, is that there isn't going to be time for 3 - 4 year rebuilds.
It has almost become a faux professional league.
By year 2, top teams have to be competing on par... or ROIs come calling

I left A&M with the same thoughts until I re-watched the condensed game and the offensive plays on youtube. I saw the quarters coverage plan in real time right in front of me and called it out to my friend as why Smith didn't go straight to the end zone or rub the safety to keep him from making a play instead of cutting it off before he got to him.

The routes being run wrong start to really show up when you can see the yellow first down marker and knowing you run those plays to the sticks not 2-3 yards past.

No doubt something is off with TVD. I think Roman pointed out the mechanics and stepping off his throws instead of driving to them.. i think its causing his ball to float a bit and then sometimes causes him to pull it to the front trying to put more on it missing left. Very correctable. The harder to correct stuff will be the rhythm throws without a true WR1.. big concern in a pro-style system with West Coast concepts like this.
Interesting that TVD also had some foot work issues that were really questionable last season and was hoping that would be rectified by this year.

Advertisement
The thing that is concerning, for me, is that our WRs (besides XR7) don't seem engaged. They whiff on blocks, misread coverages, drop balls, etc. All these things are issues of execution (coaching). And, our OC is their direct position coach. He's the guy who's been coaching that horsehsi*t!

My concern, moving forward, is Gattis and CMC do not adjust to the talent in their position room instead of hoping someone turns into Reggie Wayne overnight.
Reggie Wayne had the best WR Coach in UM History coaching him. We'll never see a CJ again. Gattis would've been a GA on that staff (if he was lucky)

why are you so down on TVD? It comes thru in every post. He's certainly had struggles but he isn't the only one.

Honestly, I soured on TVD at the Southern Miss game.

Because I’m a fan of the pro style offense and I love what Mario has done for the program and in the trenches almost overnight… and to me (from what I have seen in person) Garcia looks like a better fit for this offense and I don’t want Mario to lose a year and all the momentum trying to prop up / make excuses for a struggling TVD (especially when he had to be told to build bonds with his receivers and not just X — wonder if he was playing more golf than honing his craft over the summer).

Not calling for coaching staff change or anything like that...

But the new reality in these days of ridiculous NIL $$$, annual player free agency movement and multi million dollar coach and assistants salaries, is that there isn't going to be time for 3 - 4 year rebuilds.
It has almost become a faux professional league.
By year 2, top teams have to be competing on par... or ROIs come calling
Just about everything on CIS this week is overreaction after a loss.

Would people be saying the same things if we had won with the same scenarios that played out except we score at the end of the game and win in OT.

No. They wouldn't.

Advertisement
Just about everything on CIS this week is overreaction after a loss.

Would people be saying the same things if we had won with the same scenarios that played out except we score at the end of the game and win in OT.

No. They wouldn't.
It is not about just this game.... people are concerned that the offense which was supposed to be our area of strength, has sputtered for the last 3 games.. except for a couple of quarters

It is not about just this game.... people are concerned that the offense which was supposed to be our area of strength, has sputtered for the last 3 games.. except for a couple of quarters
I haven't seen many concerns. All I read is Gattis sucks. He's a corch. He's a fraud. Gattis should be replaced. We should play Garcia. Etc.

I think everyone should hit pause. I re-watched the game last night and had a different perspective watching it without any emotion. Even some of the things I said about Gattis were incorrect. He really only had 1 bad play calling series with the 3 run calls. We had penalties and didn't execute the other times redzone.

I do think he needs to be more creative with a goal line passing attack. He schemes up a nice mix getting us to the redzone. Again, 3 of the 4 redzone drives were defeated with penalties and PBUs. Like many others, I extrapolated the 3rd redzone trip with the 3 runs onto the other redzone trips and it just wasn't the case of bad play calling. It was more conservative than the plays that got us there, but not bad.

I haven't seen many concerns. All I read is Gattis sucks. He's a corch. He's a fraud. Gattis should be replaced. We should play Garcia. Etc.

I think everyone should hit pause. I re-watched the game last night and had a different perspective watching it without any emotion. Even some of the things I said about Gattis were incorrect. He really only had 1 bad play calling series with the 3 run calls. We had penalties and didn't execute the other times redzone.

I do think he needs to be more creative with a goal line passing attack. He schemes up a nice mix getting us to the redzone. Again, 3 of the drives were defeated with penalties and PBUs. Like many others, I extrapolated the 3rd redzone trip with the 3 runs onto the other redzone trips and it just wasn't the case of bad play calling. It was more conservative than the plays that got us there, but not bad.
Gattis is overrated...painfully obvious

Advertisement
Back