Interesting breakdown of Gattis's redzone calls.

I left A&M with the same thoughts until I re-watched the condensed game and the offensive plays on youtube. I saw the quarters coverage plan in real time right in front of me and called it out to my friend as why Smith didn't go straight to the end zone or rub the safety to keep him from making a play instead of cutting it off before he got to him.

The routes being run wrong start to really show up when you can see the yellow first down marker and knowing you run those plays to the sticks not 2-3 yards past.

No doubt something is off with TVD. I think Roman pointed out the mechanics and stepping off his throws instead of driving to them.. i think its causing his ball to float a bit and then sometimes causes him to pull it to the front trying to put more on it missing left. Very correctable. The harder to correct stuff will be the rhythm throws without a true WR1.. big concern in a pro-style system with West Coast concepts like this.
You’re correct on Tamu playing quarter’s match coverage. Saturday was combination of bad passing concepts, spacing, timing, and route running. Teams will mix it in now but we’re likely to see stack box press man or cover 3. IMO we probably won’t see a major change schematically til after the bye.

Advertisement
Man what? Did you watch the same game I did? Maybe you don't understand route concepts vs defensive looks so i won't be rude.

But this is way far off bruh.

Wr don't just "GET OPEN". They need to be SCHEMED open. Gattis route concepts are elementary and left our QB and WRs out to dry all game long.

Durkin knew it too. Rewatch the game and watch how many of the routes run RIGHT into the teeth of the defense.

Gattis has some decent man beater concepts but his zone beater concepts are so trash.

I mean TWICE he drew up concepts that didn't even get us to the line to gain. Like wtf...

GATTIS blew this game period. Terrible redzone playcalling.

Durkin knew it and everytime we got in the redzone the safeties walked down in support and just blew up anything we tried to run

Nail on the head my dude…. Bingo

Philosophy and design….. that’s what it comes down to

The guys that are elite at it, it’s super easy to pick out….. ie Mike McDaniel with Fins

What I can’t figure out is how Gattis is so drastically better in the run game scheme…. There is so much overlap, but for whatever reason Gattis as an OC has yet to prove he is anything but average at best with his passing concepts
Bro. It's rare that a coach has both. It's hard to have both. That's why I give Jsoh McDaniels and Bill Obrien their just due.

They have their flaws but their systems are so dangerously multiple they will always stress a defense. Rarely gonna goose egg them.

Gattis reminds me of Reich at Indy. Run game coordination is beastly. Pass game. Especially intermediate to deep, leaves a lot to be desired. Same as Lashlee and Andy Reid in the pass game.

It's just rare to be special at both but at the very least give me better than what I saw Saturday night.

Like Gattis, my man, you're up on the booth. This isn't the NFL. You can clearly see they're running zone... what made you think to use that specific play against that zone look KNOWING there is nothing taking the impact defender away from the space your hot read is about to occupy?

Like come on man. That **** was bad. Ponce needs to take over the route concepts and NOW. THAT man can coordinate a pass game and have a average thrower looking like decency.

Please give him the reigns to design the route concepts.

Advertisement
Gattis is overrated...painfully obvious

These guys just don’t get it. Anybody with a brain has saw enough from Gattis to know he’s not gonna work here.

Gattis is an issue. But, I worry he may be part of a bigger problem....

I love Mario. I LOVE ALONZO! But, I worry that their vision may include outdated concepts. BOTH, imagine us as a "pound the rock" type of team. But, even Saban adjusted from type thinking and sought out OCs that were innovative. I mean, Saban and Kiffin are polar opposites. But, Nick had no issue letting Kiffin run their offense while winning a ring. As much as we want to go at Gattis, it was CMC who settled for 3 down 17-6 while in scoring distance.

As much as we may not be impressed with Gattis, I worry that CMCs ultra conservative approach may cost us a few more games like on Saturday, until the light bulb goes off, if it does.

Its the reason pro style is extremely difficult to implement with 20 hour week limits in college.. Guys come in with spread and "install" in a week with simple *** routes and such but they get results (Touchdowns).. The nfl love the pro style wr because IF you do have a pro prospect he will already be immersed in the nuance but I would rather score points in college and let the nfl develop those guys themselves than try to teach these guys the ins and outs with limited time..

Hopefully they find some middle ground QUICK..
What are the good examples of pro-concept offenses in CFB that are simplified so as to not take 3 years for players to master?

Mario seems very influenced by his time at Bama, wonder if Sark is implementing that style in ways that we should look it.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...-sarkisian-offense-base-play-run-pass-options

“We’re an RPO team that runs the football. If you’re gonna let us run the ball, then we will continue to run the ball. The moment you say we’re gonna take away the run, our system is built to throw RPOs,” Sarkisian said during the clinic.

Three base running plays that Sarkisian mentioned shouldn’t come as a surprise — inside zone, outside zone, and power are all staples across football. At that core of the scheme, however, it’s tagging pass options onto those base runs that forms the foundation of Sarkisian’s current offense.

“When you think about Alabama, this is who we are,” Sarkisian said of RPOs. “This is what we do.

I’ve said since southern miss game that his concepts from a spacing standpoint are awful. But I wanted to finally see an all 22 to confirm. This confirms… but it confirms in a different light. Yes the calls aren’t the best you can dial up but most of what I’ve seen since the southern miss game now looks like its receivers being lazy/unprepared. Unfortunately that still falls solely on Gattis.

Bout to get ugly for this guy fast here at miami. I expect a lot of booing the rest of the season playing at home if offense doesn’t get it together

unfortunately, I think you're right. I just hope that you're wrong.

either way, giving him more than three games, (especially given the gong show he has a WR), is probably the rational play here.

Advertisement
Gattis is an issue. But, I worry he may be part of a bigger problem....

I love Mario. I LOVE ALONZO! But, I worry that their vision may include outdated concepts. BOTH, imagine us as a "pound the rock" type of team. But, even Saban adjusted from type thinking and sought out OCs that were innovative. I mean, Saban and Kiffin are polar opposites. But, Nick had no issue letting Kiffin run their offense while winning a ring. As much as we want to go at Gattis, it was CMC who settled for 3 down 17-6 while in scoring distance.

As much as we may not be impressed with Gattis, I worry that CMCs ultra conservative approach may cost us a few more games like on Saturday, until the light bulb goes off, if it does.
I discussed this with several people off-site yesterday. I love Mario...I know he bleeds Orange & Green...but in no way was he my 1st choice. I was okay with it, but Gattis was, and will continue to be a bad hire, unless changes are made quickly.

Its tough to look at Gattis' first three games and a full season from Lashlee last year...but if you just look at the non-conference output (still missing one for Gattis, but close enough).

Gattis in the red zone (Bethune, SoMiss, aTm)... 89% scoring%, 61% TD%
Lashlee in the red zone (Alabama, Michigan State, App State, Central Connecticut) ... 77% scoring%, 53% TD%. (COVID year a wash, but we played 2 games and he was at 100%)...subtract the outlier in Alabama...quick look was 1 FG and 1 series ended on downs in the red zone v. Bama, so you can adjust those numbers and its 80/60 in 3 non conference games that line up close enough.

I actually wonder what Ponce thinks of this scheme and Gattis. Ponce is a former OC/QB coach at Louisville and AppSt. He led a successful offense before.

And, more Importantly, would he share his actual opinion with CMC.

What are the good examples of pro-concept offenses in CFB that are simplified so as to not take 3 years for players to master?

Mario seems very influenced by his time at Bama, wonder if Sark is implementing that style in ways that we should look it.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...-sarkisian-offense-base-play-run-pass-options
Even Sark who most would consider Gawwwwww level had people scratching their heads in the 6 straight loss stretch (could you imagine CIS after losses to Baylor and Okie St. then turn around and score 7 points against Iowa st, LMAO..)

Not sure if Sark and Mario cross paths at Bama, Mario and Kiffin did.. I think Sark was analyst maybe with Gattis but when Sark fingerprints appeared he was gone also.. Still remember when sark said he was said he was running Norm Chow pro style stuff like a scientist while Norm was an artist, I think he has reached Artist level now tho.. sheesh

I dont think I have seen anyone say it will take 3 years but not 3 games either, lol.. Especially when you lose your #1 WR in the game, Your preseason possible 1b back at worse, etc.. Our offense is efficient but lacks any explosive players to take plays to house.. So they will have to tighten up and you cant have penalties in redzone to kill drives, that 5 yards hurts when Rooster gets 11 on 3rd and 15.. Im happy we actually ran our secret playbook now, so we can work on them hopefully in this game and gear up for our ACC opener, everything we want to accomplish this year is still possible.. Stop saving your playbook and run everything, good offenses are scared of nobody..

Advertisement
I actually wonder what Ponce thinks of this scheme and Gattis. Ponce is a former OC/QB coach at Louisville and AppSt. He led a successful offense before.

And, more Importantly, would he share his actual opinion with CMC.
You dont think a guy who success is tied to everybody would let Mario know, Mario has said he puts everyone he hired on the board for hoursss to see if they know what they are doing, no reason for him to bite his tongue

Honestly, I soured on TVD at the Southern Miss game.

Because I’m a fan of the pro style offense and I love what Mario has done for the program and in the trenches almost overnight… and to me (from what I have seen in person) Garcia looks like a better fit for this offense and I don’t want Mario to lose a year and all the momentum trying to prop up / make excuses for a struggling TVD (especially when he had to be told to build bonds with his receivers and not just X — wonder if he was playing more golf than honing his craft over the summer).
Garcia is a better fit bc of? im honestly asking. were judging him off Bethune Cookman? come on now. garcia has played snaps against high school teams so far. he may be better, he may be the same, he may be worse. he could even be a bust but we dont have a clue based on what we have seen as fans that hes a better fit for this offense.

Its tough to look at Gattis' first three games and a full season from Lashlee last year...but if you just look at the non-conference output (still missing one for Gattis, but close enough).

Gattis in the red zone (Bethune, SoMiss, aTm)... 89% scoring%, 61% TD%
Lashlee in the red zone (Alabama, Michigan State, App State, Central Connecticut) ... 77% scoring%, 53% TD%. (COVID year a wash, but we played 2 games and he was at 100%)...subtract the outlier in Alabama...quick look was 1 FG and 1 series ended on downs in the red zone v. Bama, so you can adjust those numbers and its 80/60 in 3 non conference games that line up close enough.
the big issue is who were playing right. the first four last year are infinitely harder than our first 4 this year. our easy non fcs team was App State and that wasn't an easy team to play. Bama yeah lol. MSU yeah lol. Cenn Conn was our Bethune but this year we got like 2 bethunes and a crap sunbelt

Advertisement
Guy said mostly

1. Dropped
2. Various versions of bad route

Less
3. TVD
4. Play design.

Maybe they run em like Hester did which wasn’t i guess fixable. Maybe they can get better. The actual analysis was imo less an indictment of Gattis.

I discussed this with several people off-site yesterday. I love Mario...I know he bleeds Orange & Green...but in no way was he my 1st choice. I was okay with it, but Gattis was, and will continue to be a bad hire, unless changes are made quickly.

Who were your top choices? Genuinely curious

Great breakdown as usual. My impression live was more was on TVD… but I that’s just this fan’s perspective. WRs are absolutely part of the problem but enough of the throws he is missing (and the way he is missing them) appeared to my eye not to be route running issues (though that happened too).

I haven’t rewatched anything, so I’m going on real time observations, but TVD looked to me like a guy who didn’t work hard enough to prepare to play with the confidence he needs to succeed.

We know he’s got the arm to make the throws… but I think he doesn’t trust his decision making (and probably his WRs too… but that’s on him to work with them) so even when he does see and release his delivery is inconsistent.

At some point I’d like to chart his throws because I think his % of throwing into coverage WITH a better option available is way too high for where he should reasonably be expected to be as a returning starter (even despite a new system). Which creates the brainfuk that I think is causing him to miss on the ones you just have to connect.
The one out route he missed was on the reviver , he ran it two yards to deep. So TVD short hopped it. But everyone here saw the miss and put in on TVD.

Advertisement
Back