Interesting breakdown of Gattis's redzone calls.

I was at Southern Miss and Texas A&M.. I see it but I guess it's a different perspective. I think his footwork is slightly off making him miss some of these throws and they're not coming out with great touch and accuracy like we saw last year.. yes I see that. That's part of a new system.

1) What other throw other than to Redding was completely missed in terms of 8/10 times this needs to be hit? Maybe K Smith in the 1st quarter.. still a tough throw very early in the game when you haven't even had a couple throws to find a rhythm. To Brinson in the 1st quarter with pressure in his face? Idk.. Mallory just got whipped on that play. I think there was one or 2 against USM as well. 2 a game is not bad in college. I've seen Bryce Young do the same thing.
2) What wheel are we talking about? The one Parrish was out of bounds double covered or to Arroyo? The one to Arroyo was again the inability of WR to run the right route. Quarters coverage and K Smith ran right into the safety coming in to help instead of forcing the field safety to stick with him up the seam. The field safety then comes over and makes a play when he should have been occupied by the WR. Just not a high football IQ team in general and can't read coverage. Maybe he wasn't coached enough to do it right? 3rd year player though.
3) Again you just described him not going through his progressions... because they're out of sync due to things out of his control.. re-routing, running the wrong route, running a route 2 yards to deep and not coming out of their break when he hits his dropback. Its all timing a rhythm. His progressions aren't progressing the way they're designed. Some more of this could be on TVD and I'm giving him too much credit.. but I'm gonna lean WR right now.

I don't care who is playing QB. It's not gonna look different until you either execute this offense the way it's designed or you get someone like Jeudy who can create separation in a phone booth and doesn't matter if he's running a route a few yards deep, short, or too slow or too fast.. whatever the case. That or just have a security blanket like Restrepo who is open more than 50% of the time and right on time with good chemistry. We have neither.
You’ve made my entire point. I’ve said since camp this is a very difficult offense to pick up , guess who else had that and the players struggled because of it? Enos.

I also said going from Lashlees offense will be very tough for the skill guys and the qb. Well here we are. Just because I don’t post things doesn’t mean I don’t hear crap. And everything I’ve been seeing is what I was warned about when Gattis got the job. So Maybe that’s why I’ve been a tad rustled.

Fact is why are we running an offense thats super difficult to run in 2022? I’ve heard NFL Head Coaches, assistants and scouts say they’ve dumbed down offenses in the league because it was just too much. Kids now don’t have attention spans or focus to put too much on them. On top of that you only have so many hours in the class room with the cba to teach. Coach Jason Brown from last chance U does breakdowns on how simple offenses are and how lost pro qb’s are with simple blitz pickups.At one time the qb had complete control of the entire O. Now everything has to be simple and a portion need their hands held. What’s crazy is the college offenses has made their way to the pros , it was the opposite way before. The pro game’s schematics always trickled down.

You and I have both mentioned this offense is very difficult but if the NFL is dumbing stuff down why is Gattis making it harder? You said yourself eight months isn’t enough time to pick this up? It’ll take a year or longer. And I’m like What?!?!?! If you can‘t install and teach your offense in one off season it’s a you problem. If your players are regressing it’s a you problem. If guys can’t run your offense and read coverages it’s a you problem.

In todays CFB you don’t get much class time with your kids , i believe its twenty five hours tops. So it’s a must you at least try to simplify things.

I’m not saying make the offense Briles like simple but you have to meet somewhere in the middle.

Advertisement
You’re correct on Tamu playing quarter’s match coverage. Saturday was combination of bad passing concepts, spacing, timing, and route running. Teams will mix it in now but we’re likely to see stack box press man or cover 3. IMO we probably won’t see a major change schematically til after the bye.
Dead on. Now the cult will turn on you and make excuses.

My Michigan buddy confirmed it, that day to day WR coaching was majority from a GA and not Gattis

BC268ADF-4378-467C-B1EB-5B61700A5679.png

You’ve made my entire point. I’ve said since camp this is a very difficult offense to pick up , guess who else had that and the players struggled because of it? Enos.

I also said going from Lashlees offense will be very tough for the skill guys and the qb. Well here we are. Just because I don’t post things doesn’t mean I don’t hear crap. And everything I’ve been seeing is what I was warned about when Gattis got the job. So Maybe that’s why I’ve been a tad rustled.

Fact is why are we running an offense thats super difficult to run in 2022? I’ve heard NFL Head Coaches, assistants and scouts say they’ve dumbed down offenses in the league because it was just too much. Kids now don’t have attention spans or focus to put too much on them. On top of that you only have so many hours in the class room with the cba to teach. Coach Jason Brown from last chance U does breakdowns on how simple offenses are and how lost pro qb’s are with simple blitz pickups.At one time the qb had complete control of the entire O. Now everything has to be simple and a portion need their hands held. What’s crazy is the college offenses has made their way to the pros , it was the opposite way before. The pro game’s schematics always trickled down.

You and I have both mentioned this offense is very difficult but if the NFL is dumbing stuff down why is Gattis making it harder? You said yourself eight months isn’t enough time to pick this up? It’ll take a year or longer. And I’m like What?!?!?! If you can‘t install and teach your offense in one off season it’s a you problem. If your players are regressing it’s a you problem. If guys can’t run your offense and read coverages it’s a you problem.

In todays CFB you don’t get much class time with your kids , i believe its twenty five hours tops. So it’s a must you at least try to simplify things.

I’m not saying make the offense Briles like simple but you have to meet somewhere in the middle.
Is this commentary based entirely on the passing game comments? I ask because it seems that the OL and backs have done a nice job with the run blocking and overall running game.

Is this commentary based entirely on the passing game comments? I ask because it seems that the OL and backs have done a nice job with the run blocking and overall running game.
We all knew Mario and Mirabal would make an instant impact on the Ol. That’s their group. Thats what they do, turn **** to sugar. My concern has always been the passing game and that hasn’t changed.

Advertisement
We all knew Mario and Mirabal would make an instant impact on the Ol. That’s their group. Thats what they do, turn **** to sugar. My concern has always been the passing game and that hasn’t changed.
can it be simplified at this point or are we dealing with a donofrio level of stubbornness from the coordinator?

This is why losing Restrepo was such a massive blow for this team and anyone who understated it was simply clueless and should go watch pickleball.

It’s not that X is the most talented, gamebreaking receiver in the world. It’s that he’s the most trusted by our QB. And when you have a QB who isn’t fully comfortable, he’s going to go where he has trust. When you have a QB who comes off his first read because the kid can’t get separation or the defense has it covered, he’s going to go where he has trust. That’s Restrepo. And homie can catch the football, reliably. TVD doesn’t have that right now.

can it be simplified at this point or are we dealing with a donofrio level of stubbornness from the coordinator?

I honestly don’t believe it’s stubbornness. I believe Gattis’ understanding of passing concepts and play design are average at best, especially compared to Lashlee’s…. And combined with our inexperience at WR, is going to make things really tough against similarly talented teams

Bama and Ohio St have the elite talent AAAAND the playcalling to accentuate those WRs….

Look at the gigantic jump Georgia made when they got rid of Coley and brought it Monken, to pair with their great recruiting

Advertisement
t
I honestly don’t believe it’s stubbornness. I believe Gattis’ understanding of passing concepts and play design are average at best, especially compared to Lashlee’s…. And combined with our inexperience at WR, is going to make things really tough against similarly talented teams

Bama and Ohio St have the elite talent AAAAND the playcalling to accentuate those WRs….

Look at the gigantic jump Georgia made when they got rid of Coley and brought it Monken, to pair with their great recruiting
he best thing UGA did was have coley leave for atm

both in the league and in college now - you dont get 4-5 years to do it either (as a coordinator esp). NFL coaches get fired a single season now. OCs get canned after a year now. you dont have a guarantee that your system will work in 2 years or so 1 and half years. you gotta get the results now w what you have. these coaches cost too much money to have on the payroll w no results. it also impacts your recruiting for the future and that hurts esp when you have a rep out there of how our staff is in terms of WR recruiting

Dude lost me at "Worst OC in all of college football?"

Good grief, does anyone have a job anymore? Another grown-*** man trying to be a YouTube sensation with *edgy* commentary and shocking content.

It's game three. Let's have this discussion in December.

Dude lost me at "Worst OC in all of college football?"

Good grief, does anyone have a job anymore? Another grown-*** man trying to be a YouTube sensation with *edgy* commentary and shocking content.

It's game three. Let's have this discussion in December.
why do you need to lose the season to confirm now what players are saying? they're not comfortable in this scheme. you can see it. hopefully we adjust the scheme to tailor the roster. UNC is the key in game for me. if it doesn't improve or change by then, its not happening this season.

Advertisement

We just seem to continue to revert back to this no matter who our HC is - I can't explain it.

The 2 kids on the team I talk to seem to believe they're implementing some new stuff this week.. stuff they installed but haven't really used. More simplistic and closer to last year. Thursday last week was just too late to make that call.

We just seem to continue to revert back to this no matter who our HC is - I can't explain it.

The 2 kids on the team I talk to seem to believe they're implementing some new stuff this week.. stuff they installed but haven't really used. More simplistic and closer to last year. Thursday last week was just too late to make that call.
ah so those kids are proving us mopers right then? I mean its what we've been saying for two weeks now. I guess were all idiots.

Advertisement
Don't expect any wholesale changes. Just stuff to use when we need it.

Losing X changed a lot

But why did it change a lot????
I get X is our best receiver but he’s not some Calvin Johnson type guy that you can feed 10 x a game

If Gattis has to change the passing game plan because of X being out he is a dogsh!t OC

Don't expect any wholesale changes. Just stuff to use when we need it.

Losing X changed a lot

this. Expecting an OC to completely pivot from his core playcalling philosophy after game 1 is wishful thinking. His offense seems to have so many variables that all have to go right in order to succeed - TVD making the right reads pre and post snap/looking off defenders/WRs critical blocking/WRs recognizing coverages/crisp route running, etc all have to be in sync. Having too many points of failure in plays will doom this offense.

I don't necessarily need to see wholesale changes. We seem to be pretty adept at running the offense b/w the 20s. The situational playcalling (3rd down, RZ) and pace has been bad. Hoping they can clean up the route running a bit, TVD can settle down and we should be straight. And for God's sake, learn to run simple plays against a zone defense.

Advertisement
Back