Interesting breakdown of Gattis's redzone calls.

Advertisement
It’s alarming when what we need should be staple in this offense.
just to get guys comfortable at least. you can't sell what already is a bad reputation being used against you in recruiting if you dont prove it on the field this year. I forgot which WR recruit said it but they were like they want to see what the offense looks like this year. I think it may have been keem? either way, no one gives a **** about the player deficiencies. they will give a **** about the results on field. you gotta make it work. you also dont want to tell a recruit all my kids suck but youre diff as your selling point

just to get guys comfortable at least. you can't sell what already is a bad reputation being used against you in recruiting if you dont prove it on the field this year. I forgot which WR recruit said it but they were like they want to see what the offense looks like this year. I think it may have been keem? either way, no one gives a **** about the player deficiencies. they will give a **** about the results on field. you gotta make it work. you also dont want to tell a recruit all my kids suck but youre diff as your selling point
The moment Mario and Gattis were here rival coaches have been negative recruiting us with wr’s.

Lets be honest, people have been negative recruiting against Miami for a long time. We have been an easy target. However, I keep saying the same thing about Mario - he is an elite recruiter, not good but elite. He will get his including big boy targets, he always has. I am confident in 1-2 years our roster will be nothing like it is right now.

Advertisement
Lets be honest, people have been negative recruiting against Miami for a long time. We have been an easy target. However, I keep saying the same thing about Mario - he is an elite recruiter, not good but elite. He will get his including big boy targets, he always has. I am confident in 1-2 years our roster will be nothing like it is right now.
I don't disagree. Marios best trait is his recruiting imo (even moreso than his OL coaching). the offensive neg recruiting this cycle is a thing though and has been since day 1 of the new staff. its not a wonder why were struggling with WR recruiting esp locally

when b Mac who followed Mario here for a bit goes out and sabotages you w jean while not even actively recruiting jean to uga, its not good as to what everyone thinks of the staff offensively.
He literally was telling Jean he won’t get opportunities here because of the run and offense. Days after he left lol. Who needs enemies with guys like that in the trenches with you. Pittman at FSU has been vocal too. It’s not exactly a secret.

Advertisement
He literally was telling Jean he won’t get opportunities here because of the run and offense. Days after he left lol. Who needs enemies with guys like that in the trenches with you. Pittman at FSU has been vocal too. It’s not exactly a secret.
what's even more shocking is that it came from a guy who worked under Mario and followed Mario lol. like you said, this is a prove it year in many ways for the offense regardless of the holes.

Don't expect any wholesale changes. Just stuff to use when we need it.

Losing X changed a lot
Wholesale changes, no.

But I don’t think we need that. We just have to do a better job of putting our personnel in the best position to succeed.

Simplify matters for receivers, call plays that are conducive to TVD’s strengths, and get the tight ends and running backs more involved in the passing game — this would all go a long way.

@Cribby do you think we could be seeing a little "sophomore slump" from TVD? There have been some very good college QBs that have that moment. I recall Trevor Lawrence going through a little INT funk and Stroud started slowly last year too. Ultimately, I think he is good enough to overcome it which is why I'm crossing my fingers that we improve as the season progresses.

Advertisement
@Cribby do you think we could be seeing a little "sophomore slump" from TVD? There have been some very good college QBs that have that moment. I recall Trevor Lawrence going through a little INT funk and Stroud started slowly last year too. Ultimately, I think he is good enough to overcome it which is why I'm crossing my fingers that we improve as the season progresses.
I don’t see a slump , I see a lot of issues caused by the scheme. Guys aren’t sure or comfortable. I also saw a defense having a good idea what was coming at them. They were sitting on routes. That was the worst communication I’ve seen since Enos was here. Everyone was unsure or on different pages. Confusion is the best word to use.

seems like he's got it out for Gattis. merit to his clip is that the receivers can't block or catch which is Gattis' position group

Advertisement
People casting off Gattis are way too eager to jump the gun. Lashlee would routinely hit a brick wall against non conference opponents who were semi decent at defense, which is what TAMU is. In fact, I shudder to think what Lashlee would've done against TAMU with his calling 3 plays in 13 seconds -- all of them pass plays -- with our terrible receivers. Our defense would've been on the field for 55 minutes.

We know this isn't going to be a good offense for a myriad of reasons, but the real judge will be when we get to ACC play.
Y’all are all discounting the fact that lashlee couldn’t run the ball with cards he was dealt. I think his scheme overall would be much better with Mario and Mirabel.. just saying

Y’all are all discounting the fact that lashlee couldn’t run the ball with cards he was dealt. I think his scheme overall would be much better with Mario and Mirabel.. just saying
This is what I’m saying , he was handed a mess and improved it dramatically.

Probably. One way or another yes it does. Lots of teaching moments on tape now. Gattis said almost verbatim.. if they're not executing it in the meeting room and on the practice field by now it's been scrapped. So they probably covered all of this in meeting rooms and understood it and **** the bed live game. If it keeps happening.. its coaching. Sometimes it takes a mistake in a game and teaching it with examples and then its fixed for good.

It's getting a bit overblown. Lashlee's system with Air raid concepts is supposed to be simple. This isn't simple. It's growing pains. It's gonna happen.

It just can't keep happening like it did with Enos. Stuff was never fixed. But you have a better WR room now than then, a QB who actually shows up to meetings, and plenty of dedicated analysts to cut up tape and cover all of the teaching moments and then some. Plus an easy game coming up to put some of this on tape AGAIN done correctly and a bye week to iron it all out. Zero excuses at this point.
Good post.

The bold is why I think the offense will improve dramatically with a few more games. As long as the players stay bought in, they can fix these mistakes made live against an athletic team with a good dc.

Gattis’ playcalling was good overall, but awful when it was bad. He has to greatly reduce those dud calls. With the way the line is blocking, I just don’t see a scenario where there isn’t drastic improvement over the next few games.

Advertisement
Back