I'm still not sold on CMR the play caller.....

The Notre Dame game play calling was terrible in the first half.

sure, might not have been above critique but players were open, plays were always there to make Kaaya just killed drives during crucial moments and downs like he does in majority of the games he's played in.
can't blame kaaya when richt calls three run plays up the gut and they all get stuffed.

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Stuck in that SEC mentality without an SEC OLine.

Advertisement
Rick called plays against good teams like old people fvck.

He **** himself for an entire month straight and cost us the Coastal. Hope he rallies.

Well maybe CMR will hire someone to help with the offense with the extra coach that was voted in.

Would love to see someone like Mark Helfrich come on board but would asking for too much.

Writing off last year S him not having his type QB to run his system with a QB that had a tendency to throw the ball high a lot.

No excuses now.Will expect his play calling to be a lot more imaginative than last year with a QB he hand picked.

sure, might not have been above critique but players were open, plays were always there to make Kaaya just killed drives during crucial moments and downs like he does in majority of the games he's played in.
can't blame kaaya when richt calls three run plays up the gut and they all get stuffed.

Palabra.

Basically a synopsis for the play calling issues last year. Down and distance was basically ignored from a play calling stand point. Some of the most ill conceived offensive game plans I've seen in all my years of watching football.

How anyone on this board is defending Richt's play calling from last year is beyond me. Kaaya struggled but a lot of that was due to Richt's insistence on running a RPO offense that , to put it mildly, did not mesh with the skill set of our quarterback. A big part of being a good coach is adapting to the talent you have...and for all of Kaaya's deficiencies he did do some things on an above average level which we never revolved our offense around. We should have been running some variant of a West Coast offense that would have allowed Kaaya to get the ball out quickly while not having to worry about reading a DE and allow him that extra second to scan the secondary.

To this day...I have zero explanation for how Richt studied the prior year film, identified the skill set Kaaya had, and came to the God forsaken conclusion that RPO was the way to go.

Square peg....meet octagon.

All forms of option offenses are for ****ty programs that can't recruit big time players to play big dik football. A real Miami QB under center can read the D pre-snap and audible to the run, identify blitzes and go hot, set receivers in motion, change protection, you know, play football. RPO is small time garbage.

I understand where you're coming from as far as QB development, but RPO/Read-option game can mask deficiencies and generate wins in CFB.

Advertisement
Halfback pass in a Blizzard, during a Bowl game...

#NeverForget

Lol classic, I'm glad those days are in the past
Gotta always keep things in perspective, before people start bhitchin about Richt's playcalling they should be thankful we don't have JC anymore.

It also needs to be noted that Richt's playcalling was hampered by Kaaya's inability to actually come off of his first read.
Combine that with a lack of any kind of pocket presence or escability whatsoever, then add on a suspect OL & you get the 4 game stretch from last year.

I'm not saying that Richt is some kind of offensive genius, but his resume is solid enough from his days at FSU & UGA that should give him a lil more leeway as playcaller amongst our fanbase.

The 2nd half of the season he showed he was willing to adjust things & make Kaaya more comfortable & it played a huge part in the 5 game win streak.

However, it's a little unfair to be to hypercritical of him considering he hasn't had his QB run his system yet.

Nailed it. Richt isn't Chip Kelly when it comes to offensive innovation, but he's shown that he's extremely flexible. He adjusted more after each game last season than any of the Shannon/Golden OCs did their entire times at Miami.

1. Having better talent across the board makes coaches look good.

2. What has Chip Kelly ever done? He's never won a championship at any coaching level. How many Heisman candidates/winners does he have? He was beasting in the Pac-12, but let's be real, it's the Pac-12.

We couldn't block that one big nizza in the middle. He killed us on third down. He had a career game. I don't know if he is even any good but he was good on that night. We will be better this year. I am not worried about Coach Richt and the play calling.

Who was better? Coley or Richt? It comes down to having players execute. How many GOOD OCs have we had in the last 15 years?

Palabra.

Basically a synopsis for the play calling issues last year. Down and distance was basically ignored from a play calling stand point. Some of the most ill conceived offensive game plans I've seen in all my years of watching football.

How anyone on this board is defending Richt's play calling from last year is beyond me. Kaaya struggled but a lot of that was due to Richt's insistence on running a RPO offense that , to put it mildly, did not mesh with the skill set of our quarterback. A big part of being a good coach is adapting to the talent you have...and for all of Kaaya's deficiencies he did do some things on an above average level which we never revolved our offense around. We should have been running some variant of a West Coast offense that would have allowed Kaaya to get the ball out quickly while not having to worry about reading a DE and allow him that extra second to scan the secondary.

To this day...I have zero explanation for how Richt studied the prior year film, identified the skill set Kaaya had, and came to the God forsaken conclusion that RPO was the way to go.

Kaaya coulda ran he chose to be a sitting duck. Theres a reason why he fell in the draft....at times his decision making and inability to read defenses was terrible. He also held on to the ball way too long without moving in the pocket. Never played with a sense of urgency in big games....he had deer in the headlights before Richt got here.

Advertisement

Palabra.

Kaaya coulda ran he chose to be a sitting duck. Theres a reason why he fell in the draft....at times his decision making and inability to read defenses was terrible. He also held on to the ball way too long without moving in the pocket. Never played with a sense of urgency in big games....he had deer in the headlights before Richt got here.

Kaaya can run....LMFAO

He's not mobile. It's not the kids fault he was born with a lack of athletic ability or quick feet. He's a quarterback that is far from perfect and has very clear weaknesses but he had enough strengths to be a competent COLLEGE quarterback in the right system. Just because a guy isn't a great NFL prospect doesn't mean he can't be at least an above average QB at the collegiate level

You rationalize however you want player, we are all going to assign blame based on our own point of view. To me the wasted opportunity that was the 2016 season falls at the feet of Mark Richt. I still think he's a pretty good HEAD COACH, a very good FACE of the program, and now appears to be doing what he is known to do best (recruit) but none of those points change the fact his play calling leaves a lot to be desired.

We should have NEVER, ever ever ever ever ever EVERRRRR been running an RPO offense with a quarterback of Kaaya's skill set. PERIOD. End of sentence. It's like taking a major league pitcher and inserting him into the clean up spot in the lineup and expecting RBI's to magically appear.

Palabra.

Square peg....meet octagon

hmmmm when did Kaaya look great under the previous offensive system the last 2 years prior to this season? Ppl said he was a pure "pro style" qb, until they saw how mediocre he was under center. Then you all said he should be in shotgun 24/7 but he's just as inconsistent. The pistol he's not "comfortable" in it and now the RPO that's the new topic when it comes to making excuses for Brad Kaaya. lol I've seen Kaaya under every system and he wasn't impressive in either one.

The RPO has Kaaya from under center and it gives MR. WONDERLICK ONLY 1 decision to process before the snap and make a decision quickly after the snap whether to hand it off or throw but you 'have zero explanation" as to why Richt decided that was the best offense to go with?? Maybe he knew that Kaaya wasn't that good before he got here and knew what type of QB he wants going forward beyond just one year??? See there's a reason why your point of views on the subject aren't relevant beyond a messageboard.

Richt called run plays that went nowhere the same result when Kaaya throws the ball in the ground. Majority of the offense was Kaaya throwing and killing drives. Bringing up 1 example to a consistent theme and issue every game with Kaaya doesn't make sense? The excuses have jumped the shark

Palabra.

hmmmm when did Kaaya look great under the previous offensive system the last 2 years prior to this season? Ppl said he was a pure "pro style" qb, until they saw how mediocre he was under center. Then you all said he should be in shotgun 24/7 but he's just as inconsistent. The pistol he's not "comfortable" in it and now the RPO that's the new topic when it comes to making excuses for Brad Kaaya. lol I've seen Kaaya under every system and he wasn't impressive in either one.

The RPO has Kaaya from under center and it gives MR. WONDERLICK ONLY 1 decision to process before the snap and make a decision quickly after the snap whether to hand it off or throw but you 'have zero explanation" as to why Richt decided that was the best offense to go with?? Maybe he knew that Kaaya wasn't that good before he got here and knew what type of QB he wants going forward beyond just one year??? See there's a reason why your point of views on the subject aren't relevant beyond a messageboard.

Dude...you don't get it.

Keep your opinion. I disagree with every word of it....but you have the right to think whatever you want. I suggest re-reading all of my other posts in this thread, applying a little reading comprehension, a little extrapolation....and a little common sense.

But I honestly don't even know how to reply to this nonsense. This feels like the arguments I use to get into with all the idiots on this board that use to defend Golden and have since disappeared.

Advertisement

Palabra.

Dude...you don't get it.

Keep your opinion. I disagree with every word of it....but you have the right to think whatever you want. I suggest re-reading all of my other posts in this thread, applying a little reading comprehension, a little extrapolation....and a little common sense.

But I honestly don't even know how to reply to this nonsense. This feels like the arguments I use to get into with all the idiots on this board that use to defend Golden and have since disappeared.

the RPO is the most basic system ever in terms of being a quarterback

it's one single read

kayaa repeatedly handed the ball off when he should have tossed it, and then tossed it when he should have handed the ball off

I fail to see how he would have been better in a west coast offense, **** we didn't run the rpo that I can remember that much if at all(?) in the wvu game and he still took all night to get warmped up

Palabra.

Dude...you don't get it.

The offensive line was a big problem in terms of running the ball and staying on schedule down & distance-wise, not to mention we couldn't throw a ball down the field without 7,8 or even 9 guys staying in to block. If we had a more talented line then Richt looks like a genius.

And RPO wasn't the issue. It's a high% passing play that almost functions like a hand-off. We did it a ton because the line sucked. Other than getting baited by FSU it wasn't a bad play for us and blew a few games open.

Last edited:

That's EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Stuck in that SEC mentality without a Miami Caliber OLine.

Fixed it for you

Advertisement
He's got this year to prove himself or he should use the 10th assistant coach option on a OC. This blame game between Kaaya and Richt is unnecessary. Kaaya didn't do Richt any favors, but Richt had porous play-calling regardless. Predictable, without rhythm, not playing to the team's strengths, and not playing to the opposing team's weaknesses (think FSU game). I think it was midway through the 2nd quarter when we finally picked up a first down against West Virginia... due to a penalty.

He's got this year to prove himself or he should use the 10th assistant coach option on a OC. This blame game between Kaaya and Richt is unnecessary. Kaaya didn't do Richt any favors, but Richt had porous play-calling regardless. Predictable, without rhythm, not playing to the team's strengths, and not playing to the opposing team's weaknesses (think FSU game). I think it was midway through the 2nd quarter when we finally picked up a first down against West Virginia... due to a penalty.

There were games I thought Rick had vapor-locked. Then the camera would show he was still there - for all the good it did.

Halfback pass in a Blizzard, during a Bowl game...

#NeverForget

Lol classic, I'm glad those days are in the past
Gotta always keep things in perspective, before people start bhitchin about Richt's playcalling they should be thankful we don't have JC anymore.

It also needs to be noted that Richt's playcalling was hampered by Kaaya's inability to actually come off of his first read.
Combine that with a lack of any kind of pocket presence or escability whatsoever, then add on a suspect OL & you get the 4 game stretch from last year.

I'm not saying that Richt is some kind of offensive genius, but his resume is solid enough from his days at FSU & UGA that should give him a lil more leeway as playcaller amongst our fanbase.

The 2nd half of the season he showed he was willing to adjust things & make Kaaya more comfortable & it played a huge part in the 5 game win streak.

However, it's a little unfair to be to hypercritical of him considering he hasn't had his QB run his system yet.

Nailed it. Richt isn't Chip Kelly when it comes to offensive innovation, but he's shown that he's extremely flexible. He adjusted more after each game last season than any of the Shannon/Golden OCs did their entire times at Miami.

1. Having better talent across the board makes coaches look good.

2. What has Chip Kelly ever done? He's never won a championship at any coaching level. How many Heisman candidates/winners does he have? He was beasting in the Pac-12, but let's be real, it's the Pac-12.

We had enough talent to do better than we did offensively especially in October.

Any other starting qb in the acc and we win at least two out of the 4 games in October last season.

Advertisement
Back