I'm for real done with this...

I learned about it on here too. The McKenna is good too and hard to find. It’s a little stronger though so if you let it sit for a few with the ice in it, it starts to open and smooth out. You can tell it’s higher proof and fuller but still has that smoothness. I think it has a deeper flavor profile. Buffalo is the easiest to drink so far for me.
Nice, I’ll keep an eye for some this weekend! I know I’ll need it next week when we play UNC 😂

Advertisement
Preference is key. Nothing wrong with the Woodford Reserve. Great bourbon at that price point with some rye spice at a super manageable proof. BT is solid, and one of my preferred bourbons for old fashions. Eagle Rare is a nice sipper. Lower proof than the EH Taylor, which feels like the main difference there. Weller's 12 year is about as good as it gets for me. Annoyingly difficult to find and/or hyper overpriced. I have about half a bottle left right now that I guard with my life. The 9-year Knobb Creek Single Barrell or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof are excellent for when you want to punch a hole through a wall, but decide to treat yourself instead. Stagg Jr. or the Weller's Barrell Proof when I want to really feel alive. I haven't even seen a bottle of McKenna 12 year on a shelf in like 2 years, but that's a **** fine bourbon. I recently picked up a bottle of High West Campifire and hated it, but I knew what I was doing... I'm not a fan of heavily peated scotches and this whiskey is a blend of bourbon, rye whiskey, and a blended scotch w/ a decidedly islay lean. Not a fan of the Heaven Hill bottled in bond or the ****el 15. Horse Soldier has a cool story and decent product. Wild Turkey has some success with their high end stuff (Masters Keep).

Just poured myself some Balcones because it's undervalued, has a unique flavor profile for a bourbon, from Texas, and it makes me laugh when people say, "I thought to be bourbon it has to be from Kentucky?!" Cheers!
Agree with almost everything you said. To each, his own. The ****el 15 Single Barrel is my favorite ****! Hit every note i was searching for. Great price for a 15yr old whisky. Love the taste profile. For a daily sipper, I enjoy the ****el Bottled In Bond (13yr), as well. I can’t find Blanton’s around here anywhere. I enjoyed my Woodford Reserve Double Smoked as well. 4 Roses got some good stuff, too.

Advertisement
Agree with almost everything you said. To each, his own. The ****el 15 Single Barrel is my favorite ****! Hit every note i was searching for. Great price for a 15yr old whisky. Love the taste profile. For a daily sipper, I enjoy the ****el Bottled In Bond (13yr), as well. I can’t find Blanton’s around here anywhere. I enjoyed my Woodford Reserve Double Smoked as well. 4 Roses got some good stuff, too.
Appreciate you, man. It's our differences that make us unique, haha. Based on the above, seems you might like a little more of that smokey flavor in your bourbon than I do (and if that's what you like, the ****els is a great value). Have you tried Longbranch? It's another Wild Turkey product and about as smokey as I enjoy neat, but another great choice for an old fashioned.

4 Roses has some solid offerings, toom

I learned about it on here too. The McKenna is good too and hard to find. It’s a little stronger though so if you let it sit for a few with the ice in it, it starts to open and smooth out. You can tell it’s higher proof and fuller but still has that smoothness. I think it has a deeper flavor profile. Buffalo is the easiest to drink so far for me.
The McKenna 10 year used to be the best value in bourbon in my opinion. I remember about 5/6 years ago a liquor store owner in Georgia introduced me to them..they were like $23/each. I bought one and loved it so bought another and brought it back to Maryland with me. Then when I got back up to Maryland I couldn't find any on the shelves so I went back down to Georgia later and bought 6 of them. That last time I went down there the prices had gone up to I think $36 and now it's $50ish+ if you can even find it? Still a great value for a great drink.

I'm a high proof guy myself..I have quite a few Elijah Craig barrel proof open and a few bottles of Stagg Jr as well open.

Probably my favorite most accessible is Russell reserve 10 year single barrel. I grab one almost anytime I see it and always have an open bottle.

I've worked in the bourbon business(Jim Beam)for 15 years. My favorite pours are Eagle Rare, **** Creek and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr. Ive had most of the highly sought after bottles like all of the Pappy variations,Weller 12, Elijah Craig 18 yr and a lot of others. Try different brands and variations for instance i don't really care for the regular Maker's Mark all that much, but really like the Maker's Mark 101. The only differences is 5.5% alcohol and hand selected barrels, so minor differences change the flavor profile a lot.
20171121_191535.jpg

The McKenna 10 year used to be the best value in bourbon in my opinion. I remember about 5/6 years ago a liquor store owner in Georgia introduced me to them..they were like $23/each. I bought one and loved it so bought another and brought it back to Maryland with me. Then when I got back up to Maryland I couldn't find any on the shelves so I went back down to Georgia later and bought 6 of them. That last time I went down there the prices had gone up to I think $36 and now it's $50ish+ if you can even find it? Still a great value for a great drink.

I'm a high proof guy myself..I have quite a few Elijah Craig barrel proof open and a few bottles of Stagg Jr as well open.

Probably my favorite most accessible is Russell reserve 10 year single barrel. I grab one almost anytime I see it and always have an open bottle.

McKenna won best in show in SF 3-4 years ago and it's been a mission to find ever since. That award blew up a lot of our spots, lol.

That Russell Reserve 10 year is another downlow great value.

Advertisement
I've worked in the bourbon business(Jim Beam)for 15 years. My favorite pours are Eagle Rare, **** Creek and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr. Ive had most of the highly sought after bottles like all of the Pappy variations,Weller 12, Elijah Craig 18 yr and a lot of others. Try different brands and variations for instance i don't really care for the regular Maker's Mark all that much, but really like the Maker's Mark 101. The only differences is 5.5% alcohol and hand selected barrels, so minor differences change the flavor profile a lot.View attachment 210077

Hat's off. If I had any sense I'd go work in that industry. That William Larue Weller is my personal favorite.

@RVACane The ****el Bottle in Bond is a really good underappreciated great value stuff. If I can find Stagg Jr for a decent price <$100 (almost impossible) that or Elijach Craig Barrel Proof are awesome. Probably one of my favorite's has to be Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof. It's one of the few "bourbons" that are consistently excellent, easy to find, and affordable higher end stuff.

Also, any store worth their salt has some great store selected single barrel stuff from any of the major brands that are usually pretty killer deals too.

Si im newer to Bourbon. My every day sipper is Buffalo Trace. I like it better than Eagle Rare. I’ve recently been drinking McKenna 10 year and really like it. It’s a step up in proof for me.

I need to get Blantons and can get that and EH Taylor and Stagg. There’s also a variety of Weller I can get - the ones under $ 200.

I like the drinkability of BT and McKenna. They’re smooth and not hot. I do want to experience some fuller heavier flavor and depth but not the heat. What are your recommendations for me?
Bienvenidos a bourbon, Monsieur.

Advertisement
I love me some Buffalo Trace. Actually just picked up a bottle last night. Also really enjoy Elijah Craig. Those two along with Larceny are great every day sippers.

Recently had a pour of the Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel. Not really a fan of their cheaper options but the high end was very good in my opinion

I can get the McKenna from one guy and it’s $60. I haven’t graduated to a higher proof than this yet. I get Buffalo Trace like it’s club soda here for $23. When I was in Maryland I had to go to a store on the DC/Chevy Chase line on Connecticut Avenue to find it / when they had it - and it was almost double.

Si im newer to Bourbon. My every day sipper is Buffalo Trace. I like it better than Eagle Rare. I’ve recently been drinking McKenna 10 year and really like it. It’s a step up in proof for me.

I need to get Blantons and can get that and EH Taylor and Stagg. There’s also a variety of Weller I can get - the ones under $ 200.

I like the drinkability of BT and McKenna. They’re smooth and not hot. I do want to experience some fuller heavier flavor and depth but not the heat. What are your recommendations for me?
Check out the bourbon thread. There are some good recommendations in there.

Advertisement
Preference is key. Nothing wrong with the Woodford Reserve. Great bourbon at that price point with some rye spice at a super manageable proof. BT is solid, and one of my preferred bourbons for old fashions. Eagle Rare is a nice sipper. Lower proof than the EH Taylor, which feels like the main difference there. Weller's 12 year is about as good as it gets for me. Annoyingly difficult to find and/or hyper overpriced. I have about half a bottle left right now that I guard with my life. The 9-year Knobb Creek Single Barrell or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof are excellent for when you want to punch a hole through a wall, but decide to treat yourself instead. Stagg Jr. or the Weller's Barrell Proof when I want to really feel alive. I haven't even seen a bottle of McKenna 12 year on a shelf in like 2 years, but that's a **** fine bourbon. I recently picked up a bottle of High West Campifire and hated it, but I knew what I was doing... I'm not a fan of heavily peated scotches and this whiskey is a blend of bourbon, rye whiskey, and a blended scotch w/ a decidedly islay lean. Not a fan of the Heaven Hill bottled in bond or the ****el 15. Horse Soldier has a cool story and decent product. Wild Turkey has some success with their high end stuff (Masters Keep).

Just poured myself some Balcones because it's undervalued, has a unique flavor profile for a bourbon, from Texas, and it makes me laugh when people say, "I thought to be bourbon it has to be from Kentucky?!" Cheers!
I can get different wellers. I think one is $125 for the bottle and the antique is $185.

****, nobody can find Blanton’s.
A few years back (like 2013) I was managing a liquor store while finishing up school. Blantons would just sit on the shelf. We’d have cases of weller @ $15 a bottle and it would just sit there.

That job was the best. I got to try pretty much every bourbon while I was there, including every year of pappy.

I've worked in the bourbon business(Jim Beam)for 15 years. My favorite pours are Eagle Rare, **** Creek and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr. Ive had most of the highly sought after bottles like all of the Pappy variations,Weller 12, Elijah Craig 18 yr and a lot of others. Try different brands and variations for instance i don't really care for the regular Maker's Mark all that much, but really like the Maker's Mark 101. The only differences is 5.5% alcohol and hand selected barrels, so minor differences change the flavor profile a lot.View attachment 210077
if you are a novice like me and like the BT and McKenna, which of the following would you get - based on what I am more likey to like - the lower priced Weller ($100-125), the Weller antique store $185, the EH Taylor at $100 or the Blantons?

Hey, RVA. Check my prior posts....Basil Hayden.

Advertisement
Back