I'm for real done with this...

What is it like - compared to the stuff I said I like?
Nothing like those. Higher proof than eagle rare and BT which are good daily sippers also. But it’s more complex while still being super smooth. Don’t really know what you’ve tasted like it to compare. I put it on tier 1 for bourbons I drank on a regular. My preference is it’s better than blantons as well

Advertisement
How is it compared to Blantons and what are each like? Are they friendly for people like me or only seasoned vets with a serious palate?
Higher proof but def friendly. Most drinkers like lower proofs because naturally they go down easier but EH and Blantons are top notch. EH small batch which is my favorite has a good honey brown sugar taste which I like. Has a little heavier feel on the tongue which I like and makes it smooth and good going down for a 100 proof. I don’t think you’d sip the bourbons you mentioned and EH small batch in the same night, it’s far superior and even with you going from low proof to that you’ll agree. Let me know if you agree when you try it.

Big BT fan my go to sipper but locally for me it’s kinda been hard to keep an extra bottle ready this past year …four roses small batch and weller SR are pretty common pours for me as well.

Nothing like those. Higher proof than eagle rare and BT which are good daily sippers also. But it’s more complex while still being super smooth. Don’t really know what you’ve tasted like it to compare. I put it on tier 1 for bourbons I drank on a regular. My preference is it’s better than blantons as well
Ok. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and try it and post. Have you had the McKenna and how is it compared to that?

Advertisement
Preference is key. Nothing wrong with the Woodford Reserve. Great bourbon at that price point with some rye spice at a super manageable proof. BT is solid, and one of my preferred bourbons for old fashions. Eagle Rare is a nice sipper. Lower proof than the EH Taylor, which feels like the main difference there. Weller's 12 year is about as good as it gets for me. Annoyingly difficult to find and/or hyper overpriced. I have about half a bottle left right now that I guard with my life. The 9-year Knobb Creek Single Barrell or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof are excellent for when you want to punch a hole through a wall, but decide to treat yourself instead. Stagg Jr. or the Weller's Barrell Proof when I want to really feel alive. I haven't even seen a bottle of McKenna 12 year on a shelf in like 2 years, but that's a **** fine bourbon. I recently picked up a bottle of High West Campifire and hated it, but I knew what I was doing... I'm not a fan of heavily peated scotches and this whiskey is a blend of bourbon, rye whiskey, and a blended scotch w/ a decidedly islay lean. Not a fan of the Heaven Hill bottled in bond or the ****el 15. Horse Soldier has a cool story and decent product. Wild Turkey has some success with their high end stuff (Masters Keep).

Just poured myself some Balcones because it's undervalued, has a unique flavor profile for a bourbon, from Texas, and it makes me laugh when people say, "I thought to be bourbon it has to be from Kentucky?!" Cheers!

Advertisement
No I haven’t. It’s a good pour?
Yeah, I really liked it. I get a lot of guidance from @Dr.L.ThugU and he recommended it. He also recommended Blantons.

The McKenna is 100 proof and a little heavier and fuller than Buffalo Trace but not hot. If I can drink it you definitely can. I use a massive ice cube though.

Advertisement
Si im newer to Bourbon. My every day sipper is Buffalo Trace. I like it better than Eagle Rare. I’ve recently been drinking McKenna 10 year and really like it. It’s a step up in proof for me.

I need to get Blantons and can get that and EH Taylor and Stagg. There’s also a variety of Weller I can get - the ones under $ 200.

I like the drinkability of BT and McKenna. They’re smooth and not hot. I do want to experience some fuller heavier flavor and depth but not the heat. What are your recommendations for me?
Y’all got me on that Buffalo Trace earlier this year as well. It’s tough to find where I live, but always grab a bottle when I see it

Advertisement
Y’all got me on that Buffalo Trace earlier this year as well. It’s tough to find where I live, but always grab a bottle when I see it
When I was on the east coast I rarely could find it. In Cali I get it easily and it’s cheap here. It’s literally the only cheap thing in this state.

When I was on the east coast I rarely could find it. In Cali I get it easily and it’s cheap here. It’s literally the only cheap thing in this state.
Yeah I’m in GA. First time I tried to get it, I called 5 liquor stores in Savannah and none had it. Had to go to a smaller area. It’s **** smooth as **** and I love it

Yeah I’m in GA. First time I tried to get it, I called 5 liquor stores in Savannah and none had it. Had to go to a smaller area. It’s **** smooth as **** and I love it
I learned about it on here too. The McKenna is good too and hard to find. It’s a little stronger though so if you let it sit for a few with the ice in it, it starts to open and smooth out. You can tell it’s higher proof and fuller but still has that smoothness. I think it has a deeper flavor profile. Buffalo is the easiest to drink so far for me.

Advertisement
Back