If you want Butch, why wouldn't you want Larry Fedora?

Don't want him, he is the reason the lost to USCe with idiot decisions that game.

Did you watch the game? UNC dominated that game. Williams threw the ball directly to defenders in the endzone twice. Missed wide open TDs on short passes.

Yeah, he didn't want give the ball to hood when he averaging 10 YPC and completely forgot about him at the end of the game.

Williams threw at least one of those picks in the endzone very early in the game. Agreed though that it was a mistake not to ride Hood more at the end. He was unstoppable.

Fedora's definitely not perfect, but he's better than Butch.

#BTB

Advertisement
Why would you hire a guy (Butch) who you know is an inferior HC to a division rival (Fedora)? They both coached at the same program, and Fedora has already surpassed Butch's best season. And he still has 4 games left to play.

You really think Butch is an inferior coach to Larry Fedora? What exactly is that based on? Is it really as simple as "coached at the same program and Fedora has already surpassed win totals?"

If you're just trolling, nevermind. But, if you're serious, I'm curious how you reach your conclusion that Larry Fedora is superior to Butch Davis.

Why would you hire a guy (Butch) who you know is an inferior HC to a division rival (Fedora)? They both coached at the same program, and Fedora has already surpassed Butch's best season. And he still has 4 games left to play.

You really think Butch is an inferior coach to Larry Fedora? What exactly is that based on? Is it really as simple as "coached at the same program and Fedora has already surpassed win totals?"

If you're just trolling, nevermind. But, if you're serious, I'm curious how you reach your conclusion that Larry Fedora is superior to Butch Davis.
I don't think Butch would have accomplished what Fedora did at Sothern Mess either. He won 12 games there, a conference championship and completely destroyed Sumlin's best Houston team in the conference championship game. Look what happened to that program after he left.

There's also no doubt that Fedora is a very good offensive mind and has had excellent success coaching offenses in college over the years. He would light up the scoreboard down here.

The only thing he was missing at UNC was a quality DC. Unlike Butch with Shoop, Fedora fired his **** DC and hired a great one. Certainly, that should show people that he was willing to make a tough move that Davis wasn't in order to improve his staff and improve the team.

Why is it so crazy to think a guy who is about to set the UNC record for wins in a season while coaching under continuous NCAA investigations that are still ongoing is better than a guy who maxed out at 8 wins at the same program over the same time frame?

part of why he is doing so good is because he has gene chizik as his d coordinator

we just need a coach who can bring in great coordinators i hope thats what butch davis can do

Advertisement
part of why he is doing so good is because he has gene chizik as his d coordinator

we just need a coach who can bring in great coordinators i hope thats what butch davis can do

No, that's not what we need. By that logic, Golden just needed to get rid of Dorito and Coley and we would have been fine.

I don't think Butch would have accomplished what Fedora did at Sothern Mess either. He won 12 games there, a conference championship and completely destroyed Sumlin's best Houston team in the conference championship game. Look what happened to that program after he left.

There's also no doubt that Fedora is a very good offensive mind and has had excellent success coaching offenses in college over the years. He would light up the scoreboard down here.

The only thing he was missing at UNC was a quality DC. Unlike Butch with Shoop, Fedora fired his **** DC and hired a great one. Certainly, that should show people that he was willing to make a tough move that Davis wasn't in order to improve his staff and improve the team.

Why is it so crazy to think a guy who is about to set the UNC record for wins in a season while coaching under continuous NCAA investigations that are still ongoing is better than a guy who maxed out at 8 wins at the same program over the same time frame?

Because you're basing it on total number of wins without any mention of context. And, now you're using a "cloud" argument for Fedora?

I think anyone reasonable would agree that Fedora is a good offensive coach and would likely "light up the scoreboard" down here. And, Butch has fired assistants (friends) to replace with good assistants before. You know that as well as anyone because he did it here.

It's funny that people ignore that it took four years for Fedora to get UNC playing this good and they complain about Butch's third season when he inherited a worse team. Butch's fourth year was taken from him.
Nothing was "taken" from Butch. Butch hired a known scalawag. A dirty scoundrel. That filthy bag man wound up acting in conformity with the character he had when Butch hired him, and as a result, players got gifts and got suspended. It was certainly foreseeable that Black Santa would do something against the rules.

Funny that the scandal started ten years before Butch though. Also, it still took Fedora four years.

It's funny that people ignore that it took four years for Fedora to get UNC playing this good and they complain about Butch's third season when he inherited a worse team. Butch's fourth year was taken from him.

Butch pulled better recruiting classes and went 15-17 in the ACC

Fedora pulled worse classes than Butch and is 19-11 in the ACC.

Hmmmmm.

Butch took over a team that won 2 games the previous year and had a year with 13 players suspended. Fedora had none of these issues so that gap should be much bigger. But context isn't for the simple minded.

Advertisement

No, that's not what we need. By that logic, Golden just needed to get rid of Dorito and Coley and we would have been fine.

that would have worked but we found out golden was stubborn and he had his hand in the offense and defense wasnt willing to let go of his penn state ways and cater to the style of south florida football or just competetive football

Easy answer to the Butch vs. Fedora debate:

Would UNC give up Fedora to get Butch back?

I'm guessing they wouldn't ...

If they wouldn't trade Fedora for Butch, that would suggest they view Fedora as the better coach ...

Nothing was "taken" from Butch. Butch hired a known scalawag. A dirty scoundrel. That filthy bag man wound up acting in conformity with the character he had when Butch hired him, and as a result, players got gifts and got suspended. It was certainly foreseeable that Black Santa would do something against the rules.

Funny that the scandal started ten years before Butch though. Also, it still took Fedora four years.

Exactly.

No sense in presenting rational arguments to assert that Butch Davis isn't the panacea that the herd has determined he is. You can't reason with blind ignorant stupidity.

Advertisement

If they wouldn't trade Fedora for Butch, that would suggest they view Fedora as the better coach ...

Ask this same question last year and I'd say they'd take Butch back. This year they're having some success, but I guarantee you that UNC's 2010 team beats the **** out of this 2015 team.

No sense in presenting rational arguments to assert that Butch Davis isn't the panacea that the herd has determined he is. You can't reason with blind ignorant stupidity.

Wait, you've seen rational arguments against Butch in this thread? You must be seeing a whole team of psychiatrists.

This is a poor straw man argument. I've been trying to address this for the past few days. Only a small minority of posters consider him a "panacea." Almost all reasonable posters consider Butch to be a flawed coach. Some of us have attempted to go in depth on those flaws.

Citing such in this thread, of all threads, is really odd. I'm not saying a Larry Fedora vs. Butch Davis debate is unreasonable, but I'm still searching for something more than "he's produced more wins in a season than Butch did at the same school."

Advertisement
I can see it now...everyone in the WEZ wearing their Fedora's....

1393796383102.jpg

We would go from the Tie to the Fedora

No thanks I will pass

Ask this same question last year and I'd say they'd take Butch back. This year they're having some success, but I guarantee you that UNC's 2010 team beats the **** out of this 2015 team.
2010 North Carolina Tar Heels Football Schedule | UNC

Please take a look at that schedule, and the results.

Then take a look at this one ...

2015 North Carolina Tar Heels Football Schedule | UNC

UNC is blowing teams off the field.

This isn't the "smoke and mirrors" 7-0 Miami had, they've scored over 50 points 4 times this season, and 38 or more in 7 games.

And that 2010 Tennessee team that it took 2 OTs for Butch to beat finished the season 6-7, and was 3-5 in the SEC ...

Advertisement
Back