If Syracuse beats Notre Dame

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It's an absolute nightmare we're even having this discussion again, I can't believe we are stuck with Richt for at least 2 more years. Just enough to put us back 5+. I'm so sick of this ****. No more long contracts after only 2 years.

According to the official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

giphy.gif

Babers is an Art Briles protege who has fielded explosive offenses everywhere he’s been. I don’t think Dungey made Babers; it’s very likely the other way around.

Fair. I'd just be more confident in crowning the guy if the "everywhere he's been" as the head guy was at least on par with Syracuse and wasn't Bowling Green and Eastern Illinois. This is the first stint where he's routinely facing (supposed) high quality DC's. He's absolutely fared well so far though.

Advertisement
Pair Babers with a good D.C. and Miami would be unstoppable. He would need a year or two to get his system implemented — like at Syracuse — but once that happens....game over. Saban would be very scared in 2021.

I live in Syracuse. Babers is a god here. If they had a better defense, they would be pushing for a playoff spot this year.

Not trying to be snarky, but why don't they have a better defense? It just seems like people think it's easy to get a good offense and defense at the same time, but for some reason few teams pull it off.

Not trying to be snarky, but why don't they have a better defense? It just seems like people think it's easy to get a good offense and defense at the same time, but for some reason few teams pull it off.
Not sure. People around here think it’s because of the talent pool and the coaching on that side of the ball. Regardless, that’s every team in the BIG 12, too.

Advertisement
Not sure. People around here think it’s because of the talent pool and the coaching on that side of the ball. Regardless, that’s every team in the BIG 12, too.

Right, every year I think man, if one of these teams would harden up on D they'd walk right through the BIG 12, and have a good shot at a NC too. And somehow it never happens.

I like Babers a lot.
Checks a lot of the boxes and is realistic.
Has had success at three different programs as HC.

Interesting. I reallllly think (and it's obviously not some genius conclusion on my part) that's the key to properly assessing a coach as being a superior tactician on offense is to see his skill and system translate to a second QB- whether it be a successor in future years or the backups over the course of your current starter's tenure.

We're often too quick to crown the next Bill Walsh and then either D Coordinators figure out how to expose flaws and/or the "offensive guru" stops looking like a football MENSA member because he lost a QB that made him look better than he was.

I really like what I've seen from Babers so far- on the sidelines and off - but I'm just more conservative in the hero worship around here that always happens when our coaches become corches.
Ah,, like Shula in '72..

Advertisement
Back