I think we steamroll VT by 20+

Where is this narrative coming from that Hooker can't throw the ball consistently?

Look at the game logs. 7-13. 11-15. 17-33. 10-10. 20-27. He hasn't thrown for more than 223 in a single game. It's not a downfield passing game from what I've seen this year. He throws safe passes because he doesn't need to force the ball with his ability to run.

/now assuredly going off for 350 against us lol.

Advertisement
From the fact that he cant, otherwise they would let him do it.
Quick lesson: Football coaches will always run the ball when they can run the ball. VT's been running the ball so well that they don't have to pass it 35 times per game. Hooker can throw the ball. Watch the games, not the stats.

Look at the game logs. 7-13. 11-15. 17-33. 10-10. 20-27. He hasn't thrown for more than 223 in a single game. It's not a downfield passing game from what I've seen this year. He throws safe passes because he doesn't need to force the ball with his ability to run.

Khalil Herbert was avg like 8 yards a carry, and that oline was/is moving people.. They throw just to catch off guard then its back to regular scheduled programming totting the rock.. Their D must be trash tho, I havent looked at numbers

I've watched pretty much every game he's quarterbacked. I don't care to look at empty stats. He throws the ball well and runs the ball well. He's a very good QB.

He kicked our *** in his first game ever last year. Do you think he'll suddenly stink against a worse UM defense with an additional 12 games of experience under his belt?

Khalil Herbert was avg like 8 yards a carry, and that oline was/is moving people.. They throw just to catch off guard then its back to regular scheduled programming totting the rock.. Their D must be trash tho, I havent looked at numbers
Their D is total trash.

Advertisement
He played poorly against Wake. King's had a couple off games this year. Trevor Lawrence had a bad game or two. Everyone does.

You put way too much spin on stats. I've seen every VT game this year, and Hooker's a very good QB. He was good last year too. They run more than they throw, but that's because they run so well. They're absolutely NOTHING like GT under Johnson. Johnson tricked teams with an occasional pass. VT throws the ball in a designed passing game that isn't just verticals off play action after running the bone 15 straight plays.

Hooker will be a problem for us just like he was last year, but he's better this year. We don't defend the pass very well, and he won't have to be pinpoint accurate to expose us. Burmeister is NOWHERE NEAR the passer Hooker is. Not even in the same league. They ran with him because they had no other option. Hooker gives them a legit option in the throw game.

There are some stats that are worthless and some that aren't. If I said on Saturday games when the temperature is below 60 degrees and the moon is waxing gibbous, VT is 1-4, then yeah, I will have put too much spin on stats. The fact that VT is 1-3 against P5 opponents when Hooker throws for more than 200 yards is, however, a highly relevant stat. 4 games is a decent sample size and it shows an interesting trend. The more he's forced to pass, the higher the chances VT will lose. You think he's a better passer than I give him credit for? Ok, then why do they keep losing when a defense forces VT to pass? So far this season, he's played in five games, started four (he got the majority of the snaps in the UNC game too) this season. They've lost 3 of those 5 games. That's not an irrelevant stat either. D'Eriq King has had two bad passing games this season- against Clemson and Pitt; which happen to be the two best defenses in the conference (and he still threw for 4 TDs against Pitt). Hooker has had two bad passing games, UNC and Wake, which are both average defenses (Miami is better than UNC in ppg allowed)

I'm not suggesting Miami is going to blank VT. Of the three games they've lost this season, VT has lost two shootouts and got shut down by Wake. I don't think Wake's defense is that much better than Miami's but I get the mopes saying that it is. Chances are Miami probably gets into a shootout with VT. Fortunately, we don't have to shut them down, just make a few more stops than their defense does. I think that's not that tall of an order since it's been done multiple times to them this season by other defenses already. This isn't like Clemson where we needed two miracles- Miami's D had to stop their offense, and the Miami offense had to find a way to shred the Clemson defense. Miami's offense should have very little trouble moving the ball on VT. If you look at the VT boards, they admit their defense is pathetic and a victim of poor recruiting.

The Miami defense showed in the NC St game that the defense can turn it on when it wants to. Fortunately VT isn't one of those teams that Miami has a tendency to overlook like UVA or NC St., but the game isn't on a big stage like the Clemson game where they aren't mentally prepared to handle it. It's going to be a noon game in Blacksburg in a relatively empty stadium. My biggest hope is that the rumors of Diaz taking over the defense at NC St are true. If Diaz has seen the light, relegated Baker to second banana, and is taking over playcalling on defense I think the D will be plenty good enough to ensure that Miami wins a shootout with VT.

I've watched pretty much every game he's quarterbacked. I don't care to look at empty stats. He throws the ball well and runs the ball well. He's a very good QB.

He kicked our *** in his first game ever last year. Do you think he'll suddenly stink against a worse UM defense with an additional 12 games of experience under his belt?

That's not what I said at all. He's an effective QB. They will move the ball against us and get first downs and score points. I posted elsewhere they're 16th in the country in first downs. My point is that what I've seen-and the stats bear out-that it's not a sophisticated, downfield passing attack. He takes what is given to him and doesn't force it. He routinely takes off and picks up decent yardage.

That's not what I said at all. He's an effective QB. They will move the ball against us and get first downs and score points. I posted elsewhere they're 16th in the country in first downs. My point is that what I've seen-and the stats bear out-that it's not a sophisticated, downfield passing attack. He takes what is given to him and doesn't force it. He routinely takes off and picks up decent yardage.
They're an excellent offense overall. They'll be a big problem for us. If they don't have Herbert that'll be a big help for us because he's been incredible this year. But Hooker will make plenty of plays. They're not a 1970s Oakland Raiders deep passing team, but not many teams are these days.

They're an excellent offense overall. They'll be a big problem for us. If they don't have Herbert that'll be a big help for us because he's been incredible this year. But Hooker will make plenty of plays. They're not a 1970s Oakland Raiders deep passing team, but not many teams are these days.
Undoubtedly. I think we're going to be doing a lot of moping about the defense on Monday but I think the reality is it's a productive offense that will move the ball against any level of competition. We're going to need to put up 35+ IMO to win.

Advertisement
tenor.gif

Advertisement
Borregales with a FG late to win. He and King will be the difference makers.

Advertisement
Undoubtedly. I think we're going to be doing a lot of moping about the defense on Monday but I think the reality is it's a productive offense that will move the ball against any level of competition. We're going to need to put up 35+ IMO to win.
I'm done moping on the D. I have accepted that it pretty much sucks this year. We have the firepower on O to go to war and beat all the remaining teams.

No word. Fu is similar to CMD in that he will keep Herbert's availability quiet until just before kickoff
Any chance I can get you to stop calling him Fu on here. It's giving me douche chills that are crippling me and making me miss all the good points you're making.

Advertisement
Back