I think we steamroll VT by 20+

Quick lesson: Football coaches will always run the ball when they can run the ball. VT's been running the ball so well that they don't have to pass it 35 times per game. Hooker can throw the ball. Watch the games, not the stats.
This would be accurate if VT has won a lot of games.

Given the fact that VT is 4-3 and lost two under Hooker, you would think that they would let him throw more. Or change something about their offensive strategy.

Against Wake Forest, they did. And he looked awful. (watched that game btw)

This would also be accurate if they had a good running game without letting their QB run the ball a lot.

Hooker has more rushing attempts per game than Deriq King has as a season high. Not only are they not letting Hooker throw the ball a lot, they are exposing their "consistent thrower" to big hits in the run game all the time.

Deriq King is a consistent thrower. Hooker isnt.

Advertisement
I’m sorry but how can we steamroll anyone with a pulse on offense with the way our defense has been playing?
The 4th quarter against NC State showed me what I need to see. This can be a very good defense they just need to lock in. Im
Betting that they do against VA Tech.

my prediction a few pages back is 49-27 Canes

There's a reason why we are a 2-point dog and ESPN gives VT a 62.1% chance of winning.

I will be glued to the television on Saturday expecting a win but this ****** will not be easy. Maybe the defense surprises us but poor linebacker play, the inability to sustain pressure without blitzing (don't get me started on the number of holding calls our opponents get away with), and the propensity for mental busts makes it difficult to see how this becomes a blowout or a comfortable win.

With that said, we could us the kinda game where we get to light up the cigar early in the second half and not sit on the edge of our seats,

Last edited:
Still have to travel and have your routine disrupted. Can argue Miami's 3 worst performances this season were the 3 road games. So if you're banking on the team playing their A game I don't think it's a given. Miami can't afford another game where Baker gets badly outschemed, Phillips gets stuck on blocks and the corners don't make any plays at the catch point.

Come on, man, if you took every team in college football, their worst games are almost always road games. That doesn't give any special advantage to VaTech or disadvantage to Miami. ****, one of our three "worst performances" was to Clemson, and I wouldn't exactly blame that on "the road". Plus, we WON those other two "worst performances".

Yes, we have to travel. But the crowd is absent and the atmosphere is sterile. And, as I pointed out, Liberty just went into Lane and beat VaTech (yes, I know they didn't have to travel far).

I'm just pointing out that the "home field advantage" is greatly reduced this year, if not entirely eliminated. Certainly, it's not enough to say "seven days ago, I watched the #25 team beat VaTech in its own stadium, and now I think VaTech will beat the #9 team in the country, and part of my rationalization is home-field advantage".

We can agree to disagree, I just think that this is the LAST factor that should ever be mentioned.

Advertisement
Any chance I can get you to stop calling him Fu on here. It's giving me douche chills that are crippling me and making me miss all the good points you're making.

Yeah, calling him Fu is as douchey as making every SEC coach's first initial "C".

Given the fact that VT is 4-3 and lost two under Hooker, you would think that they would let him throw more. Or change something about their offensive strategy.

Against Wake Forest, they did. And he looked awful. (watched that game btw)

This would also be accurate if they had a good running game without letting their QB run the ball a lot.

Hooker has more rushing attempts per game than Deriq King has as a season high. Not only are they not letting Hooker throw the ball a lot, they are exposing their "consistent thrower" to big hits in the run game all the time.

Deriq King is a consistent thrower. Hooker isnt.
In fairness, at least in the segments I've watched, a lot of his runs are designed pass plays where he just decides to take off. From what I've seen, he's not a particularly patient passer. If it's not there, he's off. It'll be key for the D line to contain.

Come on, man, if you took every team in college football, their worst games are almost always road games. That doesn't give any special advantage to VaTech or disadvantage to Miami. ****, one of our three "worst performances" was to Clemson, and I wouldn't exactly blame that on "the road". Plus, we WON those other two "worst performances".

Yes, we have to travel. But the crowd is absent and the atmosphere is sterile. And, as I pointed out, Liberty just went into Lane and beat VaTech (yes, I know they didn't have to travel far).

I'm just pointing out that the "home field advantage" is greatly reduced this year, if not entirely eliminated. Certainly, it's not enough to say "seven days ago, I watched the #25 team beat VaTech in its own stadium, and now I think VaTech will beat the #9 team in the country, and part of my rationalization is home-field advantage".

We can agree to disagree, I just think that this is the LAST factor that should ever be mentioned.
If you're gonna argue that Miami would be favored on a neutral field then it stands to reason that home field advantage matters. If every team is playing worse on the road then clearly playing on the road is making a difference.

Miami played at Clemson and got dominated up front and on 50/50 balls. Clemson played at ND and got dominated up front and on 50/50 balls. Maybe Clemson isn't as good as people thought, maybe Miami isn't as good as people think, and maybe playing on the road makes a difference?

Miami has had 3 poor defensive performances in road games. 3/3. I think that matters as they gear up to face a VT team with an elite OL, solid QB and an offensive scheme that uses a ton of split flow/misdirection to exploit LBs (the biggest weakness of the Miami D) with wide zone as their bread and butter (recall Hawkins going for 27/164/1/6.1 in that scheme). They also have one of the most productive backs in CFB in Herbert but I scouted him yesterday and he looks like a JAG to me - like a lesser version of Homer who can't pass protect, with contact balance as his only good trait.

So unless Miami can do a better job defending the wide zone+constraints to put Hooker in 3rd and longs it will be a long day defensively. And yeah I'd feel better about that if it was a home game.

As it stands I view this as a total coin flip where I'm unsure which team will run the ball better. Miami has the better backs and easier matchup but VT has the better line and the home field advantage.

Advertisement
I remember this from 2017. ND was a -3.5 point favorite. Let's see Miami silence the doubters again.

Capture.JPG

Vag Tech isn't losing games because of their offense. Their offense is excellent. Hooker throwing more won't make their defense better.

Better tighten up that D.

Can’t have Hendon Hooker looking like Kenny Pickett out there tomorrow.

Advertisement
I will be attacked and accused for my opinion here, but I have a sick feeling in my stomach that our LB play is going to catch up to us and bite us badly against VT. If we also don't contain their QB and tackle well.. This game is a loss. I pray I'm just feeling bad gas coming to share with my wife, but I'm picking VT to beat us if I'm being transparent here.
God it hurt to type that.

Two reasons why:

1) Kings performance last Friday is the type that rallies the whole team. That night, you saw our team come from behind on the road on the backs of the offense and I feel like you will now see the offense take it to the next level for the remaining few games

2) Our defense has been getting criticized all year but Friday was the loudest - you just know they will come out with a point to prove and shut everyone up. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Manny calls the plays for a half.

Miami rolls and it won’t be close. We’re not losing to a QB named Hooker - our defense will have a threesome with the Hooker - Phillips and Roche on either side.
That Hooker is about to strap one on and sodomize Baker's prevent zone defense. We will likely have to depend on the offense to be able to win this game. Hope King is still feeling it.

Advertisement
If Blake Baker embarrasses us this game, he should be fired.

Reality check boys...

you don’t hang 20+ with a thin DL going against a dual-threat qb who got your number last year.

1605372762284.png

Advertisement
Back