I think we are going to be very good..

Ok buddy.

What do you disagree with here? He's just saying we won't truly know what we have with Garcia until he sees real game time. That's not a knock on the kid. It's the truth.

It's one thing to look like the next coming when you're wearing a non-contact jersey against a vanilla defense which you've seen every day for a few weeks, and guys who don't want to hurt you. It's another to face Alabama's blitz defense. We just need to wait and see what we've got.

Advertisement
Our O-line looks better but for a team that is geographically located in THE most fertile recruiting ground in America, we are one Rambo injury away from having a HORRIBLE wide receiver corp. I have no doubt Rambo will have a huge year barring injury. He's good after the catch and creates separation. Against teams with a lock down corner we are going to need #5 to step up and become a man. Harley and Restrepo are jitterbug slot types who can help move the chains....but this offense is going to go as far as Rambo and Smith take them. If those two can prove to be threats on the outside, Mallory should feast in the middle of the field.

On defense I think we're fine at tackle but we simply have no idea yet what we have on the edge. Even during our down years we've been able to consistently produce good pass rushers so I'm hopeful....but I need to see it first. I like our secondary more than our LB core where we have a ton of unproven guys with potential.

We avoid Clemson this year so there is ZERO excuse for not winning the Coastal. That abomination of a NC game from last year better lead to MAJOR changes from Manny on gameday or else the banners will be flying soon. There's no shame in losing to Bama in game one...I simply ask they play hard, put up a fight, and at least look prepared. We're going to get out-talented in that game but more than anything I'd just like to see a well prepared team go down swinging. The rest of the schedule is very manageable.

Last edited:
What do you disagree with here? He's just saying we won't truly know what we have with Garcia until he sees real game time. That's not a knock on the kid. It's the truth.

It's one thing to look like the next coming when you're wearing a non-contact jersey against a vanilla defense which you've seen every day for a few weeks, and guys who don't want to hurt you. It's another to face Alabama's blitz defense. We just need to wait and see what we've got.

It’s a lack of emotional objectivity in some people.

They invest their emotions in one guy and lose all sense of rational thought. I really like Garcia, and I hope him or TVD are the chosen one after King.

Or if King can’t go, then either one of them kills it.

But one has to look at this objectively. Not like over-emotional fanboys.

We just don’t know what we have, until the bullets are live and you have 4 and 5 star, 300 lb defensive lineman bearing down on you, and trying to do you bodily harm.

This is why sometimes people then start to hate players, because they don’t meet their over-inflated expectations right away, and then they just start to totally rag on them.

Why are so many failing to mention that TeCory Couch is a balla? He will start opposite Tyrique.
I love Couch and was on the Couch train from the very beginning. The thing with Couch however is that he is perfect for the Nickel CB position inside. That is where he has the most value. Could he play outside? Yes of course but for me Couch needs to be the Nickel CB on the slot receiver. With Blades, Ivey, Dunson and Stevenson, we have a very very solid 2 deep on the outside. I think Marcus Clarke will also be a baller but would expect him to also play Nickel.

If we are fully healthy we have a very good top 6 at CB. We are going to need 3-4 in the 2022 class however. Still for this year we have a very good CB room. Put that together with the Safeties and TRob coaching them and we have the makings of a very good secondary. This could be the best and deepest secondary here in quite some time. The addition of Stevenson and the continued development of DJ Ivey have been key.

Advertisement
If there is some equality in the universe and we beat Bama watch the CFB media slurp us up that it would take a miracle to fit the players heads into the IPF.

I thought the back seven on defense was vastly improved. The DBs got beat a few times but a lot of the catches on offense were very highly contested so I give a lot of credit to the QBs for their accuracy and the WRs for getting that hair of separation to make the catch. I think a much bigger problem than drops last year was our WRs inability to beat press man coverage. Teams could bully us at the line and really handicapped the entire passing game. Those tight window, short passes to Rambo and Harley in traffic are the kinds of plays you need to make against tight coverage. They may have only been 5 or 6 yard gains but if you can beat man coverage with those short slants, it makes the defense change their coverage. It also opens up the deep pass because DBs start jumping those short routes (we saw Stephenson do it a few time in the scrimmage and get beat)

Sorry but many of you guys are mired in Mediocrity. I want us to be GREAT AGAIN and we need to beat Alabama or hang very tight with them.
I hope you are in charge with hiring the next coach, because this school hires mediocrity.

Advertisement
this team is stacked

with manny back at defensive coordinator, this is all on king developing his touch as a quarterback. Make no mistake about it people, we are STACKED.

so Manny will no longer be Mack Brown's little byash?
Yep. I’m sure the Tar Heels will all be geeked up. Sam Howell will be touted as so good as to be the Number One overall pick in the next seven drafts, and to win the next five Heismans. They’ll add two more upper decks to the stadium to bring its capacity to 599K. More Barth clones will come out of the woodwork. The referees will come out with Tarheels cash literally stuffed into their uniform pockets.

It won’t make a difference.

Brown will fall.

Advertisement
I thought the back seven on defense was vastly improved. The DBs got beat a few times but a lot of the catches on offense were very highly contested so I give a lot of credit to the QBs for their accuracy and the WRs for getting that hair of separation to make the catch. I think a much bigger problem than drops last year was our WRs inability to beat press man coverage. Teams could bully us at the line and really handicapped the entire passing game. Those tight window, short passes to Rambo and Harley in traffic are the kinds of plays you need to make against tight coverage. They may have only been 5 or 6 yard gains but if you can beat man coverage with those short slants, it makes the defense change their coverage. It also opens up the deep pass because DBs start jumping those short routes (we saw Stephenson do it a few time in the scrimmage and get beat)
And I still felt we didnt show many cards coverage wise. We still had some players not in there like Blades and Bolden, so this defense might still look different.

Gurvan Hall also played a bunch of deep safety and had his ups and downs. Dont forget, it was a spring game and theres plenty of time to develop physically and mentally from spring to September. The key right now is to make sure that the best LBs play on the field.

Advertisement
Our O-line looks better but for a team that is geographically located in THE most fertile recruiting ground in America, we are one Rambo injury away from having a HORRIBLE wide receiver corp. I have no doubt Rambo will have a huge year barring injury. He's good after the catch and creates separation. Against teams with a lock down corner we are going to need #5 to step up and become a man. Harley and Restrepo are jitterbug slot types who can help move the chains....but this offense is going to go as far as Rambo and Smith take them. If those two can prove to be threats on the outside, Mallory should feast in the middle of the field.

On defense I think we're fine at tackle but we simply have no idea yet what we have on the edge. Even during our down years we've been able to consistently produce good pass rushers so I'm hopeful....but I need to see it first. I like our secondary more than our LB core where we have a ton of unproven guys with potential.

We avoid Clemson this year so there is ZERO excuse for not winning the Coastal. That abomination of a NC game from last year better lead to MAJOR changes from Manny on gameday or else the banners will be flying soon. There's no shame in losing to Bama in game one...I simply ask they play hard, put up a fight, and at least look prepared. We're going to get out-talented in that game but more than anything I'd just like to see a well prepared team go down swinging. The rest of the schedule is very manageable.
Concern for me still lies in the preparation

I am a fan of Lashlee and think Manny is a solid DC but the times we’ve been tested with good coaches we’ve been simply overmatched. Bama having maybe the most elite coaching staff money can buy and that’s what I am watching most. Are we doing anything that they aren’t predicting or forcing us to do like we are their puppets?

If we continue to grow as a coaching staff then maybe we can have some different conversations

just my 2 cents I suppose

Got to love Kool-Aid in the Spring.
This is not a lool-aid take. We’re the seasoned team on offense. We have a Heisman quarterback. We have two projected first round picks in Zion and Mallory. Most likely, after this game, we’ll have three with Stevenson. Their defense is legit, but ours is no joke. If we can take it to their offense and cause turnovers and points on that side, we win. We’re winning. Enjoy that loser mentality, it’s what makes the winners salivate. We win. []_[]

Last edited:
I think it’s always fair to assume that a double digit underdog must win the turnover game. I agree we need to have a big advantage in that category and the defense must score some points.
Some big plays on special teams is definitely something that’s been a bit missing. Our kicking game can be elite but how about a couple of big returns? We’ve got the athletes.

That “hold your breath” moment when we return kicks needs to come back (and not in the fumbling or catching the ball way haha)

Advertisement
Back