I think we are going to be very good..

I thought we were extremely physical. I think this is the biggest team we have had in 17-18 years.. What did you see that would put us at a physicality disadvantage?
We looked good today. Bama simply is more dominant at the line of scrimmage. Understand something, they are much deeper than us, when Bama substitutes there is no drop off.

I think we will take the game into the 4th quarter, simply because they are breaking in a new QB. However, let's not allow our good spring game get us carried away.

Advertisement
I watched Bama today ... They appear to be much more physical than us.

They def are...

But the lack of proven go to explosive weapons is evident too. I know they were missing some guys but their best skill guy today was a true freshman. There is a big drop off from what we have seen from them at WR/RB in the last few years.

Metchie/Billingsley/Hall/Bolden/Robinson(RB) do not scare me honestly.

Now, their front 7 is a completely different story. That will be the issue for us come 9/4.

Man if the NCAA does away with Initial Counters for this season we Could really reshape this into a complete roster

Grab a TE, 1-2 LBers, 1-2 DE, 1 CB, and maybe an OL.

While telling Jennings, Steed, Hillery, Herbert, Traore, and Wiggins to seek shelter. Blissett retired so thats 7

I know it was just a spring game. Having said that, we got a lot of dudes. I really like our o line. Getting a some what in shape Donaldson is priceless. I hope he continues to work and stay healthy.

Our WR's will be much better this year. Harley is an NFL WR. Restripo and Smith must play and they will. Rambo was a huge get and he will put up numbers in this offense. We have 4 legit talented receivers. Pope and Wiggins have been passed up by a mile. Those two should only play in garbage time.

We will not have a problem scoring points. RB room is set. TE is set. If King is moving along like we all think he is we will be fine.

The defensive side of the ball is what really has me excited. First off, I love that Manny is back in charge. I think he is one of the best DC's in all of college football.

We have size, we have speed. Stevenson looks like a freak. Williams is so much bigger than I thought he was. Still waiting on G. Hall to do his thing but it is obvious that he has all the tools. Add Bolden and Couch to the mix, we should not have any problems in our secondary.

Our LB's look much better than last year. We actually have guys that can run and make plays.

DL is the strength along with our secondary. Ford is so big and he looked good. I look for him to have a big year and get drafted higher than people think. I think I like our ends but, it's impossible to evaluate them right now. Either you get pressure on game day or you dont. We will see.

We are all good on kicking game.

I will be taking Miami on the money line on September 4th.
You do realize we play Alabama the first game of the season right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Guys... what do you think. Would you take Garcia as a day 1 starter over Van Dyke if King isn’t ready? Just want to know what y’all think about that?

correction*
Am I crazy to say Garcia is the best QB in coral Gables RN

I like king but king can’t throw the ball like Garcia

& it’s not even close

let’s keep it real

I am willing to bet Blades starts opposite Stevenson. McCloud is situational at best and loses situational snaps if the both Williams give good reps early. I'm more concerned about our defensive tackles get enough push up the middle against a competent offensive line. This is legitimately a Top 10 team if we stay healthy.
I’ll bet money that DT ends up being a bright spot for us when the 2021 seasons is all said and done. Simpson is a really good coach, plus we have solid talent and depth there.

Maybe but that could be we weren't playing Bama's defense.
Bamas QBs weren’t impressive. They have a strong OL and a couple really good young WRs. I was simply stating our offense looked more in sync, QBs were more accurate, our backs showed more explosion, and WRs got more separation. I totally agree it could look different against Bama and I’d expect that.

Advertisement
Agree 100% that this team is the most talented team in the last 10 years. But the first 5 minutes of the game it looked like we came off a bye week and we all know how that went the last few years, it reminded me of the Clemson game last year how we could not get out of are own way penalty after penalty. I believe are position coaches are a step up from the last few years but still not convinced that Diaz is the real deal. Only time will tell but the future looks promising.

We legitimately have a very good team for next season. Very good talent across the board, good depth at all but a few positions, lots of upperclassmen leadership, and the best coaching staff we have employed in a **** long time.

The pieces are there. Just need to follow through.

There are 4 keys I will be watching closely which will determine if we have truly made that next step as a Tier 2 team - one small step behind Bama, Clemson and OSU:

1. OFFENSE -- Can our OL control the line of scrimmage and establish an effective ground game AT WILL?
  2. OFFENSE -- Will our WR make the most of their opportunities and stretch that **** field? NO DROPS.
  3. DEFENSE -- Will our DL play fierce but disciplined and not expose our LBs?
  4. DEFENSE -- Can we field two LBs and a Striker at all times who can play fast, move well in space, and actually cover the middle sideline to sideline?

If we do those four things, we go 11-1, win the Coastal and see Clemson.

Guys... what do you think. Would you take Garcia as a day 1 starter over Van Dyke if King isn’t ready? Just want to know what y’all think about that?

correction*
Absolutely fckin not lol.

I was very impressed with Garcia, he was fearless & made some really nice reads & throws today, his stock is way up in my book...

But lets not forget this was a controlled environment & basically just a Spring scrimmage, not an actual game.

King when healthy is the best QB on the team & it’s not up for debate, Garcia showed good promise for the future today, but he ain’t done it in a real game vs a real opponent yet. Even if King wasn’t ready to go by the beginning of the season & Garcia had to start as a TF he would have games where he would struggle because that’s the nature of the beast for every TF QB, even the ones who have been successful recently as TF starters.

If you’re asking versus a fully healthy King, you don’t have much football wisdom or perspective, and are sadly a prisoner of the moment.

When will they learn, El?

There’s a whole other thread saying Garcia is our best quarterback.

I’m as happy as anybody else about his performance today, and I think he could have a very bright future, but I’ll be honest, he hasn’t even beaten TVD yet.

There’s a lot more practices and a lot more football to be played. And the only guy that’s won any college football games in real life has been King.

Advertisement
A portal lb for sure and possibly te/ de and I’d feel a lot better. That would make us pretty close to complete as a roster.
I've been waiting for Palaie Gaoteote to join us since January. We need him or Quavaris Crouch. The linebackers were not terrible today, but they were not great. I thought our best one was Keontra, who did not even play LB last year. Jennings and Steed swung between first and second team today. It just looked like the LB situation is still unsettled. A blue chip from the portal seems necessary.
I did not see the need for a transfer tight end, but if Larry Hodges is out, then I see it now. I would much rather he figure it out and stay here.
DE is tough to call because they could not hit the QB today. There is some depth there, and Jabari Ishmael is on his way. If Cam Williams is back by August, I think we're ok there.

When will they learn, El?

There’s a whole other thread saying Garcia is our best quarterback.

I’m as happy as anybody else about his performance today, and I think he could have a very bright future, but I’ll be honest, he hasn’t even beaten TVD yet.

There’s a lot more practices and a lot more football to be played. And the only guy that’s won any college football games in real life has been King.
I feel ya, but Could it be that he’s the only one who’s played college games too? I’m not saying Garcia is way better than King, but we can’t expect Manny to play his best talent at every position and not look at the QB spot. Garcia obviously has the best arm on the roster right now. Game experience is all he’s missing. I definitely think King should play against Bama though.

I feel ya, but Could it be that he’s the only one who’s played college games too? I’m not saying Garcia is way better than King, but we can’t expect Manny to play his best talent at every position and not look at the QB spot. Garcia obviously has the best arm on the roster right now. Game experience is all he’s missing. I definitely think King should play against Bama though.

Garcia isn’t obviously the best of anything right now. Not until he proves it in a game. A real game.

People used to say the same thing about Pope. There’s a difference between practice, and spring games, and a real game.

Garcia hasn’t even beaten TVD yet.

Advertisement
Back