"I Need Ya' Supervisor!!!"

I've watched enough Live PD to know that the midget cop should have called for backup long before the chick cop showed up.

This. Once he started getting conformational about giving up his ID he should have known things were going to go down hill

Advertisement
From a law enforcement point of view...both parties made mistakes. Keep in mind all people (LEO included) have different personalities, training, and skill sets and will use what they are most comfortable.

I don’t know the context of the traffic stop (LEO said too fast for conditions) or why it was done at a convenience store.

Video shows the DT walking toward the store and the officer instructs him to sit back in his car.

While working in a pro-active unit, and I’m attempting to initiate a traffic stop, I’ve have had subjects stop, exit their vehicle and/or attempt to enter a residence or business numerous times. Reason is usually bc they have an arrest warrant, license is suspended, or they are attempting to either hide guns/drugs in residence or business.
Sometimes they attempt to flee on foot.

Worse case scenario (not likely), cop believes the DT has a weapon and doesn’t want to go to jail that day is now entering a business which could escalate matters and again turn into a barricaded gunman/hostage situation (again unlikely, but have to expect the worse so you aren’t surprised).

Personally, I think LEO made an error by giving DT verbal commands to go back and sit inside his vehicle. From a tactical point of view, LE should have had DT come back to the front of his patrol car and distance him from his vehicle bc you don’t know what weapons (if any) are inside and this would prevent him having access to them.

DT was initially cooperative and followed the LEO instructions by sitting inside the vehicle...not sure what changed by DT exiting the vehicle and entering the store.

LEO did ask for a back-up unit, but I wasn’t impressed with his verbal skills and inability to diffuse DT’s request for a supervisor. LEO actually did the opposite and helped escalate the issue by saying he was the boss. I would assume he’s a younger and inexperienced officer and was unsure how to gain control of the situation.

I would have liked to see the interaction with LEO and DT before he decided to walk into the store bc it appeared edited (possibly due to time).

TASER would have less effect in colder weather (video showed it was snowing) due to people wearing multiple layers of clothing. After the 1st TASER, LE is standing way to close to DT and should’ve attempted to create a little more distance. It would’ve been very easy for DT to overpower that officer or trip his legs, which would’ve been another problem, but I understand they’re inside a business and there isn’t a lot of room. IMO, the LEO is too close if the DT can reach out and grab your legs.

Not sure what their department’s use of force policy is, but generally LEO is within policy to go one step above the other party’s actions.

No comment on DT’s actions.

I'm not defending ****. I just know SOME RACIST white people like to make fun of black people when they see situations like this and assume all blacks act like this. Thomas you're clearly offended it's ok. Cry me a river
Thats the thing that sucks on both sides of it, u got both races of people that are full of hate (not everyone) and do exactly what u said. I try to take that **** out of it or not even read that **** cause I know it will get me tight.

Tremendous restraint when he was clearly overwhelmed? Is that what you mean? Because I’m not the one who’s nuts if you can watch that entire video and come to the conclusion that he showed “tremendous restraint”. Some restraint yes, but he could’ve been SMARTER; discretion is the better part of valor and he had backup on the way. Just doing something because you think you’re right can be the wrong thing sometimes. His “boss” attitude could have resulted in either of them dying that night. That’s not smart.

Cop doesn’t know who the **** This guy is because he didn’t hand him paper work. So a suspect you pull over for already breaking the law doesn’t follow your directions and gets out of the vehicle and walks into a store(possibly making this a hostage situation) and the cop isn’t showing amazing restraint? I would have tasered his *** before he walking into the store.

Advertisement
That was just a ****ty situation for all involved. Both sides showed restraint until the situation was escalated and ultimately, it doesn't look good for either party.

It was a simple roadside stop. Those should never get to the point it just did and its a breakdown by all involved, including the current culture (police culture, too) we are in.

Malik McDowell being told he was going to be shot by a white police officer, who at any time, could have justified shooting him with lethal intent...yeah, I am not sure many of you in the same situation wouldn't have tried to fight for your life. I'll agree in part with @Tetragrammaton Cane that one of the main issues is that an officer is the "boss" or has the mentality of one in that situation. How difficult was it to simply have a conversation with the man. It starts as a very confrontational situation and an officer expects people to remain cool and compliant with the constant worry or an officer escalating the situation. If you're Malik McDowell...a 6-foot-6 black man...why wouldn't you walk in the store? You know the store has cameras. Many other cops wouldn't have had their body cam or dash cam on - conveniently - in a situation like that.

idk guys...just a ****ty situation for both guys that likely could have been handled by both, in a different manner.

Roadside stops...should be as simple as...here is your citation, if you have an issue, see you in court. No signature needed. Hand it to the guy and be gone. Would wager that curbs a lot of roadside police issues.

That wasn't a simple traffic stop, he was drunk off his ***, he was going to jail and you don't let a driver in a traffic stop just walk off.

Earlier I sent a police officer friend of mine (he worked in one of the worst cities in America u til 2 years ago) that video and asked his view. Here’s what he wrote:

The driver obviously knows his rights. The police should have requested a supervisor to the location. When he denied him the right to speak with a supervisor, he deprived the driver rights based on the 4 Amendment. Spinning out is not a crime as there is no victim. All could have been avoided had the police complied with allowing a supervisor to be present.”

Now, that’s his words. I’m not sure if he heard where the officer said “I’m the supervisor”. I’m just relaying his words.
Your friend's an idiot, that is not a 4th amendment issue

Advertisement
I'm not defending ****. I just know SOME RACIST white people like to make fun of black people when they see situations like this and assume all blacks act like this. Thomas you're clearly offended it's ok. Cry me a river

And, McDowell, also showed “restraint”; he could’ve hurt him, but he didn’t. Even saying at one point, “I’m not going to let you shoot me again”.

The officer showed a lot of unprofessionalism with that “restraint”. He had back up on the way, and he wasn’t a threat in the store. He should’ve just arrested him when he came out the store. That said, if McDowell stays in the car, it never goes there.

That’s part of the problem.
Wrong that officer was obviously threatened...and surveillance video, unfortunately isn't always going to be in favor of the big guy who stood up after being tazed and went after a police officer.

So yeah the little guy showed as much restraint as possible especially after the guy resisted arrest.

Earlier I sent a police officer friend of mine (he worked in one of the worst cities in America u til 2 years ago) that video and asked his view. Here’s what he wrote:

The driver obviously knows his rights. The police should have requested a supervisor to the location. When he denied him the right to speak with a supervisor, he deprived the driver rights based on the 4 Amendment. Spinning out is not a crime as there is no victim. All could have been avoided had the police complied with allowing a supervisor to be present.”

Now, that’s his words. I’m not sure if he heard where the officer said “I’m the supervisor”. I’m just relaying his words.
Your friend is badly misinformed, Sir. Have a good day!

Last edited:
I've watched enough Live PD to know that the midget cop should have called for backup long before the chick cop showed up.

Not excusing McDowell acting like an idiot but he probably should have called for backup the moment McDowell refused to give his license and registration and started asking for a supervisor.

Advertisement
Wrong that officer was obviously threatened...and surveillance video, unfortunately isn't always going to be in favor of the big guy who stood up after being tazed and went after a police officer.

So yeah the little guy showed as much restraint as possible especially after the guy resisted arrest.

What is threatening about a big drunk guy who was speeding then lumbered into a gas station?

And, McDowell, also showed “restraint”; he could’ve hurt him, but he didn’t. Even saying at one point, “I’m not going to let you shoot me again”.

The officer showed a lot of unprofessionalism with that “restraint”. He had back up on the way, and he wasn’t a threat in the store. He should’ve just arrested him when he came out the store. That said, if McDowell stays in the car, it never goes there.

That’s part of the problem.

Know what? This is one instance where the cop is completely in the right. And that's not a thing I say very often. There are too many stories about cops shooting people they have no earthly reason to fear. This on the other hand is a case of trying to control the situation with a minimum of violence. So let's give the cop his due for not saying "fck it, he's big and black, I'll just kill him and say I was scared." He took the correct, harder, path and everybody's still alive.

Advertisement
What is threatening about a big drunk guy who was speeding then lumbered into a gas station?

So what was the correct action? Wait for backup? That would have been smart, but it was still going to end in a wrestling match at some point.

I seriously want to know how you think this should have gone down.

So what was the correct action? Wait for backup? That would have been smart, but it was still going to end in a wrestling match at some point.

I seriously want to know how you think this should have gone down.

I never mentioned anything about how the cop handled this. I am simply wondering what this guy saw that was "threatening".

I am not calling this guy a "bad cop" or any of the other buzz words people like to throw around to push an agenda. I was just wondering how a full grown man could somehow find that situation "threatening".

If I thought I would have an issue taking a drunk man to the ground I would have called for backup and just waited until there were 4 or 5 of us and then took him down which would ensure he has no chance of getting the upper hand which would require me to shoot him.

And before people come in with "he was 300 pounds" I understand this. However, this is why tons of cops go to wrestling/BJJ clubs. I know numerous cops that would have man handled this drunk guy without much of an issue and they are similar size to this cop.

This dude should be the new I am groot, I need ya supervisor is all he can say lol. Thats probably a defensive play I need ya supervisor cover 0

I never mentioned anything about how the cop handled this. I am simply wondering what this guy saw that was "threatening".

I am not calling this guy a "bad cop" or any of the other buzz words people like to throw around to push an agenda. I was just wondering how a full grown man could somehow find that situation "threatening".

If I thought I would have an issue taking a drunk man to the ground I would have called for backup and just waited until there were 4 or 5 of us and then took him down which would ensure he has no chance of getting the upper hand which would require me to shoot him.

And before people come in with "he was 300 pounds" I understand this. However, this is why tons of cops go to wrestling/BJJ clubs. I know numerous cops that would have man handled this drunk guy without much of an issue and they are similar size to this cop.
I don't think he saw anything "threatening", I think he saw non-compliance. I'll be honest, I don't know the exact rules for when an officer can use a taser. I don't know exactly what he's allowed to do to get the guy to comply with a pretty reasonable request. I do know that the request wasn't unconstitutional, so the cop had the right to make it, and the driver needed to comply. The driver was wrong first, so in my eyes he started it. The fact the cop didn't shoot him shouldn't be applauded, but it should be noted. Lots of black people have been shot for doing less.

I'm just saying I don't see what else he should have done. You're point about waiting for backup to decrease the chances of having to pull a gun is a good one. I'm just not seeing that he acted all that improperly. He could have done a little better for both of their safety, but I don't see anything "wrong" with what he did. One way or another, dude was getting forced into cuffs

Advertisement
Back