I just heard this on ACC network...

14 straight wins with inferior talent. Took down an SEC Big Boy. Played Ole Miss and UCLA hard as **** last year. Developed a no-star QB into an NFL draft pick. Top 3 receivers on the team were walk-ons...all now All Conference candidates.

You guysm are right, he's exactly like Golden.

Easy on the developed no star QB thing. Paxton Lynch just fell through the cracks. A friend of mines son is Paxton's best friend. He was going to ball regardless. Of course I credit Fuente for putting him in the best position to succeed unlike another coach down in SoFla.

I agree with you though. I really like Fuente

Advertisement
It's going to be an absolute madhouse here when Miami passes over young offensive-minded candidates (Herman/Fuente) and the immensely popular Butch Davis to go with the presumed frontrunner (Chud), who would likely come cheap, won't be coveted by any other program in the country, and won't move the needle with the recruiting base.

Absolute madhouse.
I'd throw in the towel. Chud and schiano are such lazy hires that I don't think I could continue to torture myself by following this program. It's so uninspiring and lazy it would be down right depressing

I agree but I think Cristobal tops the list of potential lazy hires.

we have had a horrific defense since the early 2000's. i want a killer on defense coaching this team. south florida will always have a ton of offensive talent, we dont need a master mind. coker wasnt a mastermind and he we won when he was oc

we have had a horrific defense since the early 2000's. i want a killer on defense coaching this team. south florida will always have a ton of offensive talent, we dont need a master mind. coker wasnt a mastermind and he we won when he was oc

Define horrific. Randy's defenses as DC and CEO were never as bad as Golden's. IIRC, Randy's lowest TDR was in the 30s.

I love it his board ... But the delusion is strong with some of y'all.

Get with reality. No coach is coming to Miami AFTER winning conference championships in a Power 5 conference. We're not special enough for that to happen. The best shot we have at a Power 5 HC is Mark Stoops or Dana Holgorsen. And I doubt we could really steal them, at this point.

We'll be extremely fortunate to land Fuente or Herman. And y'all will all be welcomed to the bandwagon once they get hired.

Advertisement

Get with reality. No coach is coming to Miami AFTER winning conference championships in a Power 5 conference. We're not special enough for that to happen. The best shot we have at a Power 5 HC is Mark Stoops or Dana Holgorsen. And I doubt we could really steal them, at this point.

We'll be extremely fortunate to land Fuente or Herman. And y'all will all be welcomed to the bandwagon once they get hired.

stoops was our db coach and the guy who built FSU defense. Kentucky competes but will never win big time in SEC. he knows that. there is no football culture there prior to his arrival. he can come to south florida and clean up

Fuente would leave Memphis for Miami in a NY second . He's topped out at Memphis and Miami is a far better job. So is South Carolina or VT.

Miami fans don't think that , anybody with sense thinks that .

Last edited:

stoops was our db coach and the guy who built FSU defense. Kentucky competes but will never win big time in SEC. he knows that. there is no football culture there prior to his arrival. he can come to south florida and clean up

I understand why you think what you think. I just don't agree.

Stoops makes over $3.5MM per year to win 6-8 games per season. He can do that, and stay there for the next 20 years. That's job security.

You think Stoops is looking for "Dynasty Mode" on NCAA football. That dude doesn't need to come to Miami to "clean up". He's already doing it in Lexington. His family doesn't have to worry about him losing his job, and he gets to coach in the weaker division of the best conference in college football.

And what's more, if he ever does win the division, he'll be a hero at UK. That dude could leave UK as their 2nd best coach, ever.

Advertisement
I like Fuente but I don't like him as our first option.

He is still cutting his teeth and we really can't afford any question marks on this next hire.

This next hire will decide the long term fate of UM football. Ironically it's the most important hire since Butch left.

This is not a trivial hire.

I don't understand how he is still cutting his teeth. What more should he be doing at Memphis?

1. Take an inferior program with inferior talent and beat the competition, check.

2. Win 10 games in a season, check.

3. Win the conference, check.

4. Run off 14 straight wins, 8 on the road, check.

What more do you want him to do? Be specific.

Go get a job in a Power 5 conference and repeat the previous 4. Then we'll take a real hard look at him in 5 years when Butch retires.
AAC is as much if not more of a power 5 than the ACC is right now. They did just beat Ole Miss and I have zero doubt they would demolish every single ACC team not named Clemson or FSU for talent disparity reasons. I think he's already accomplished the power 5 thing without having to be in a power 5.

Don't forget UL smashing UF (SEC) in the Sugar Bowl a couple years ago and UCF smacking Baylor (Big 12) in the Orange Bowl

The program that was partially built on innovation now has half the fan base stuck in the past. It's an odd situation.

He is still cutting his teeth and we really can't afford any question marks on this next hire.

This next hire will decide the long term fate of UM football. Ironically it's the most important hire since Butch left.

I don't understand how he is still cutting his teeth. What more should he be doing at Memphis?

1. Take an inferior program with inferior talent and beat the competition, check.

Go get a job in a Power 5 conference and repeat the previous 4. Then we'll take a real hard look at him in 5 years when Butch retires.

Ideally, yes. But after 5 years at Maryland, VT or USCe two things could happen:

1. He flamed or posted average records which would not warrant an interview
2. He performed well and got a raise (and Miami would not steal him from any of those schools)

Realistically, I cannot see Miami hiring a P5 HC. The only option I can think of is Stoops.

Ideally, yes. But after 5 years at Maryland, VT or USCe two things could happen:

1. He flamed or posted average records which would not warrant an interview
2. He performed well and got a raise (and Miami would not steal him from any of those schools)

Realistically, I cannot see Miami hiring a P5 HC.

I don't even see why that matters.

Urban came from Utah, Chip came from New Hampshire, Patterson from New Mexico, Briles from Houston, Malzahn from Arky St etc

You need the vision to see where these guys are going. I doubt Flake has that so we will probably end up with an extremely uninspiring hire.

Advertisement
drewm3i;2328862over Bowling Green 53-46 over Cincy 24-17 over USF Other than a fluke game against a vastly overrated $ec team said:
And Nick Saban was a whopping 25-22 his first 4 years at msu. And 0-3 in bowl games being outscored
134-49. Let that sink in. Being a good head coach is so much more than just your overall record or scores of games. Jimmy Johnson had a horrible record. Gus malzahn and art brides coached hs football but so did gerry Foust. You guys will drive yourself insane finding flaws in every coach. There is almost no predictive information on who will be a. Good coach.

drewm3i;2328862over Bowling Green 53-46 over Cincy 24-17 over USF Other than a fluke game against a vastly overrated $ec team said:
And Nick Saban was a whopping 25-22 his first 4 years at msu. And 0-3 in bowl games being outscored
134-49. Let that sink in. Being a good head coach is so much more than just your overall record or scores of games. Jimmy Johnson had a horrible record. Gus malzahn and art brides coached hs football but so did gerry Foust. You guys will drive yourself insane finding flaws in every coach. There is almost no predictive information on who will be a. Good coach.

Coaching philosophy can be predictive. That passive 2 or 3 man front is what we have now (albeit he does throw in some stunts) and DO NOT LIKE. His offense is fine, especially with a huge QB.

Bottom line is that BUTCH DAVIS is the best overall answer. PERIOD.

Advertisement
I was at the Memphis -Arkansas st game in 2011 ASU won 47-3 Memphis own fans said they had less than 5 players on that team that should be starting at a D-1 program. Larry porter went 1-11 and 2-10 his last 2 years there. Fuente goes 4-8 in 12 3-9 in 13 and then 10-3 last year.

I'm hearing Fuente in all the USCe circles up here in South Carolina as well. We will most likely lose to them again if they want him. Just my opinion

14 straight wins with inferior talent. Took down an SEC Big Boy. Played Ole Miss and UCLA hard as **** last year. Developed a no-star QB into an NFL draft pick. Top 3 receivers on the team were walk-ons...all now All Conference candidates.

You guysm are right, he's exactly like Golden.

Easy on the developed no star QB thing. Paxton Lynch just fell through the cracks. A friend of mines son is Paxton's best friend. He was going to ball regardless. Of course I credit Fuente for putting him in the best position to succeed unlike another coach down in SoFla.

I agree with you though. I really like Fuente

He was a no, with little from any school. He feel through the cracks because his career stats were 51% Completion for 1082 Yards, 10 TDs and 10 INTs. It is hard to ball with no offers or interest. Fuente got him and developed him. Without Fuente, who knows where he is today?

This isn't his first QB either, he was the one who developed Andy Dalton.

So a coach who makes 3.5M currently is coming to Miami (Stoops), but a coach who makes about half of Al won't. Interesting. When did you talk to Fuente? The only one holding us back is our BOT. We are a much better gig then South Carolina or anyone else (maybe USC) going after him.

Advertisement
Back