I am definitely not sweating Manny’s decision. Neither should you.

Advertisement
It’s not as simple as “if he wins x games, he'll be retained.” You have to judge how the team plays, are they improving? If they lose games, are they tough, close fought games against good teams or are they blowouts? Because at the beginning of the 2020 season if I would have said we’re going to finish 8-3 and our losses will be Clemson, UNC and the bowl game, most people would have been pretty OK with that. So that’s why context matters. Had we not gotten boat raced by both Clemson and UNC, we wouldn’t be desperately hoping for a new defensive coordinator.

You.... you do realize Richt was the first HC James hired, right?

The Board of Trustees hires the HC. The AD is a facilitator and figurehead in that process, AT MIAMI.

Which is it?

:pgdead:

So James only hired Richt, but not Manny?

Gotta love people with their holier than thou attitudes on here who talk out of both sides of their ***. Just because you're an alum it doesn't make you any less of a dumbass dude

The decision to me personally seems deflating, but at the same time I kinda got myself dug in with all the tweeter insider hoopla of change happening.

Lotta ppl claimed in 2018 if we had even a semblance of offense we'd have been fvckin all year. Let's see if manny can replicate that success and have lashlee on the other side instead of mork 4 verts rick.

Either way, Diaz set his fate

Which is it?

:pgdead:

So James only hired Richt, but not Manny?

Gotta love people with their holier than thou attitudes on here who talk out of both sides of their ***. Just because you're an alum it doesn't make you any less of a dumbass dude
Other way around hired manny bot brought him richt. Just like he was forced to fire golden. It’s not as cut n dry as you think. Don’t take that out on posters that are alums

Advertisement
In the worst case, where we get the third option and go 9-4 with Flake unwilling to fire him, I still think we have one potentially optimistic option. I think we can all agree that based on this roller coaster ride that took several weeks, Manny tried to go for some big names at DC and was turned down. I assume he didn't like any of the other available options more than he trusted himself... So I think he chose calling the plays this year as a stopgap until next off-season where he hopes to find someone better...

I don't want that to happen and I hope OP is right, but I think that at least makes me feel better if he doesn't ball out or get the boot.

Here's the harsh reality that I see. Miami is a small, private university about as far south in the US as one can get that competes with 4 major sports franchises for attention and dollars. Until Schnelly caught the CFB universe by surprise in the early 80's, the football program struggled against the bluebloods for years. JJ and Erickson rode the coattails of that success until the rest of CFB caught up. They caught up because of their deep pockets and alumni base that number in the 6 and 7 figure range. I remember going to games in OB in the late 60's and early 70's when there would be at most 5-6k people in the stands. There was no U brand. There were no football national championships. There was no apparel contract. And there was no pro franchise until '66 when the Phins came to town.

We won't catch anybody by surprise again regardless of who is the head football coach. Our only hope is that the U realizes that it will take another Schnelly, a transcendent leader, to re-capture the magic that was the 80's and 90's,

The third alternative is the most likely. He muddles throough enough to earn a fourth year and a short extension. That would be worse but more likely than succeeding or falling flat on his face.

Muddling through is the same as falling flat on his face - to people that hold the purse strings and have a voice. I don’t think that’s what people understand. Patience is very short.

I hope you are correct.

I am worried about Option 3.

Miami wins 10 games, and then Frenk, the OT, and Beta Blake deem it an "improvement", while everyone maintains employment.

I agree, and believe the BOT's bar is low enough that even an 9 or 8 win season is deemed a success, assuming we beat F$U.

Advertisement
Muddling through is the same as falling flat on his face - to people that hold the purse strings and have a voice. I don’t think that’s what people understand. Patience is very short.

The BOT is badly divided between members that want to win and others that frankly dont give a **** (the Shalala disciples, e.g. Bass, Fain, Pope, etc.). Barring a complete disaster of a season, I dont think they have the votes to fire Blake and Manny.

Advertisement

I disagree. 6-7 or even 7-6 is falling flat on your face. 9-3 and winning the easy games (which are most) losing to every team that has a pulse is muddling through. that´s where he is heading, in particular with a great recruiting class. 9-3 is maybe an ACCCG, maybe not, but not terrible. This is the most likely scenario.

Last edited:
The Board of Trustees hires the HC. The AD is a facilitator and figurehead in that process, AT MIAMI.

Let's try this again.

Have you ever stepped foot on campus? Have you ever, EVER spoken to ANYONE who is influential at Miami?
Except that is not what happened with Manny. Blake hired Manny when the board wanted Cristobal. And before you go on the rest of your tirade and to get all of your qualifiers out of the way, I am an alum, my dad is an alum, I was a student rep on a committee of the BoT, and my dad has been going to games since the 60s.

Advertisement
Most likely scenario: Bama blows us out, Mack Brown own us again, we drop another game or two to finish 8-4 or 9-3. Just miss out on winning the Coastal.

We end up in the Cheez It Bowl again or something similar. Rinse and repeat.

3. We win 9 games, show "improvement", the BOT feels we can win more if Manny has more help. Gives him ANOTHER year with a new DC. FML :mad:

I've been in that room plenty, and can also say with reasonable certainty, that barring big steps, Manny will be gone. Demoting your DC the way he did is not a good look after the way we ended the season.
I’m well aware of the frustration these people feel. And it’s warranted. They’re doing the right things now... On top of the facilities, they’ve opened their wallets. Richt had the money and support to hire a Lashlee, but he didn’t and failed. Manny has the money and support to hire a quality DC, but he didn’t, and we’ll see how he fares.

If Manny fails, it’s not on the BOT, Golden Canes or admin.. they’ve made a commitment to give this team a chance. They deserve credit, regardless of what happens.

That being said, I don’t see Manny being fired going into a bowl game w 3 losses. If you think that’s the situation, I’ll take your word for it, but that would surprise me.

3. We win 9 games, show "improvement", the BOT feels we can win more if Manny has more help. Gives him ANOTHER year with a new DC. FML :mad:
this is the exact most likely scenario and i've said it 3-4 times on this thread. also, remember he is in year 3 of his contract. he needs to be extended at the end of this season because you don't send a coach out to recruit with only one final year on his contract. he will muddle through (8-9 wins and losses against good/better teams) and he'll get extended.

Advertisement
Back