I am definitely not sweating Manny’s decision. Neither should you.

The BOT is badly divided between members that want to win and others that frankly dont give a **** (the Shalala disciples, e.g. Bass, Fain, Pope, etc.). Barring a complete disaster of a season, I dont think they have the votes to fire Blake and Manny.

By almost all fans, but I dont know about the BOT.

That’s not really how it works. The BOT members that give a shlt are the ones that make the decisions. The other ones stick to what they know. I don’t think you’ve ever looked at the list of the number of BOT members, it’s extensive, and decisions are deferred to people who have expertise in their specific areas.

Take a look at the list sometime and you’ll see what I mean. Guys with expertise in biotechnology and other areas have a little input nor interest. That’s just one example.

I’m not trying to get on your case, but I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what the board of trustees do, and what their function is. Not just at the University of Miami but everywhere. The only time all of them have an interest in something is when it affects the entire university as a whole, for example hiring of a president.

Advertisement
Get rid of Blake and then I'll begin to feel positive at the direction of this program 😢

That’s not really how it works. The BOT members that give a shlt are the ones that make the decisions. The other ones stick to what they know. I don’t think you’ve ever looked at the list of the number of BOT members, it’s extensive, and decisions are deferred to people who have expertise in their specific areas.

Take a look at the list sometime and you’ll see what I mean. Guys with expertise in biotechnology and other areas have a little input nor interest. That’s just one example.

I’m not trying to get on your case, but I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what the board of trustees do, and what their function is. Not just at the University of Miami but everywhere. The only time all of them have an interest in something is when it affects the entire university as a whole, for example hiring of a president.

Just FYI, Spike UM is more aware of the UM-BOT numbers than a lot of the other posters are.

respectfully, i don´t think you know how the UMiami BOT works. the large group is a really a donor group or people who are named to the board for PR or other reasons (in addition to money). there is an executive committee of a dozen or so and they run the show. i don't have an updated list of the executive committee, but most of them dont give a crap about UM football and it is the root cause of why UM football has sucked for over 15 years. here's an excerpt from the UM website about the executive committee.

"Composed primarily of the board's officers and the chairpersons of standing committees, the principal responsibility of the Executive Committee includes the business affairs of the University. It is empowered to exercise all of the powers of the Board, when it is not in session, subject to the following exceptions: i) making major academic policy changes or handling business affairs that have a major impact upon academic policy, ii) election/removal of the President, iii) adopting amendments to the governing documents, and iv) electing trustees.

Advertisement
Like the great @Cribby said, this is a “win-win”.

There can only be 2 results:

1. One scenario is it turns out to be a savage move, Manny flipping the bird to all the back-seat coaches, saying “I got this” and ends up having an outstanding 11-12 win year (yeah right)

2. The second and most likely scenario: He falls flat on his face and just fūcked himself on his best chance to be a big time head coach. He’s fired and we have a new coach by this time next year.

Now I say don’t sweat it. Why?

He either kills it, or he’s gone and maybe we get a coach committed to, and having the ability, to at the very least dominate the Coastal and then go from there.

Me, personally?

I think he’s going out with a bang, so I’ll give him props for sticking to his guns, even though it’s going to end up just like this:

View attachment 141137

You go, Manny!

Ride that thermonuclear warhead all the way down to the bitter end.

(hope I’m wrong)
There is a 3rd scenario, he get molested and he comes back for a 4th season and they give u more kool aid to drink. The 2020 class need to grow into adults and the like

respectfully, i don´t think you know how the UMiami BOT works. the large group is a really a donor group or people who are named to the board for PR or other reasons (in addition to money). there is an executive committee of a dozen or so and they run the show. i don't have an updated list of the executive committee, but most of them dont give a crap about UM football and it is the root cause of why UM football has sucked for over 15 years. here's an excerpt from the UM website about the executive committee.

"Composed primarily of the board's officers and the chairpersons of standing committees, the principal responsibility of the Executive Committee includes the business affairs of the University. It is empowered to exercise all of the powers of the Board, when it is not in session, subject to the following exceptions: i) making major academic policy changes or handling business affairs that have a major impact upon academic policy, ii) election/removal of the President, iii) adopting amendments to the governing documents, and iv) electing trustees.

Why do you think anything you posted contradicts anything I said? Nothing you posted above directly or indirectly contradicts what I am positing.

I know how it works. And the people that have influence and actually guide the decisions, and are listened to regarding football, is a very small handful of people. Everyone else follows their lead. Even those on the executive committee.

By teams with a pulse, you mean teams with a good offense? Yes, it tends to be the case that teams with a good offense score more points than teams that don't have a good offense. With the rules of CFB, defenses aren't keeping good offenses off the scoreboard. That's not a Diaz thing, that's a CFB thing. You think Bama's D didn't got torched by UF? or Ole Miss? It didn't matter because at the end of the day Bama scored more points. Even Saban, when explaining how CFB has changed, said that UGA probably has the best defense he faced all season, but in today's game offense is more important. Now that being said, you can't have those UNC games. That's totally unacceptable. You also can't have those Ok St games where you are in the hole 21-0 in the first. That's also a fireable offense. But if the defense had held UNC to 35 points, that's not a bad performance nowadays. The impact of the choice for DC is being greatly exaggerated.
His defense his great against garbage, and atrocious against good teams. Not average. NOT good, horrible. Getting marched up and down the field on. No thats not how college football is.

Which is it?

:pgdead:

So James only hired Richt, but not Manny?

Gotta love people with their holier than thou attitudes on here who talk out of both sides of their ***. Just because you're an alum it doesn't make you any less of a dumbass dude
Lol @CashMoneyCane is a insecure clown who belongs working at the Hect center.

Advertisement
His defense his great against garbage, and atrocious against good teams. Not average. NOT good, horrible. Getting marched up and down the field on. No thats not how college football is.

Lol. Thats true across CFB for all DCs. And top DCs have bad games against bad teams too. How'd Bama do against Ole Miss? It's also a dumb statement because you are inevitably going to play the "no true Scotsman" card (look it up, it's about logical fallacies). When Diaz's defense did well, you are going to say it means that offense was garbage because if it had been a truly good offense, his defense wouldn't have worked.

I'm not "*****ing", I'm just providing an alternative possibility to the "win-win".
If Manny goes 10-2 next year..He will get and deserve an extension. 99.9% of the posters on here assume Bama is an automatic loss. So if he only losses one more game thats a problem? Im hoping I just took your post out of context and thats not what you meant.

If Manny goes 10-2 next year..He will get and deserve an extension. 99.9% of the posters on here assume Bama is an automatic loss. So if he only losses one more game thats a problem? Im hoping I just took your post out of context and thats not what you meant.

I don't understand why people are being so literal.

We won 8 games this year.

OCCC gave one possibility of an "11-12 win year".

I just picked the mid-point between 8 and 12.

People need to chill the fvck out, nobody is analyzing the upcoming schedule or "rooting against" 10 wins.

OCCC gave us 2 possible "win-win" scenarios, and I countered with a "stalemate" scenario. This isn't that complicated.

this is the exact most likely scenario and i've said it 3-4 times on this thread. also, remember he is in year 3 of his contract. he needs to be extended at the end of this season because you don't send a coach out to recruit with only one final year on his contract. he will muddle through (8-9 wins and losses against good/better teams) and he'll get extended.
If Manny goes 8-4 next year (that would mean we lost the bowl game yet again) and we get manhandled by Bama to the point where Kirk and Chris are talking about Golf late in the 3rd quarter, lose to UNC, and have another really bad loss (VT? GT?) then he is not getting extended.

9-3 (2 losses outside of Bama BUT we win the bowl game against a quality opponent). They will probably extend him to a short term deal.

And obviously 10+ wins and hes getting a extension and a nice payday.

Advertisement

People need to chill the fvck out, nobody is analyzing the upcoming schedule or "rooting against" 10 wins.

OCCC gave us 2 possible "win-win" scenarios, and I countered with a "stalemate" scenario. This isn't that complicated.
How is that a stalmate, my Cane bro? 10 wins is a **** good season. IDGAF what anyone says. People can be mopes about the lack of hiring on the D staff but a 10 win season is something we have only done twice in the last 18 years. Thats a success, and Manny should get an extension. That is a win. Not a stalmate.

Advertisement
most people would barely consider him a Cuban

??? I don't get what you are saying. I'm half Cuban, and every Cuban person I know that follows Miami football is fully aware that Diaz and Cristobal are Cuban coaches. I have never heard anyone say, "he's barely a Cuban" except for on this board (and I'm guessing that's non-cuban people saying that for whatever strange reasons they may have).

Asshats like @NicKane are rooting against 10 wins. They'd rather lose and get an unknown coaching staff that MIGHT win instead of hoping for UM to win 10+ games now .... which would mean the current coaching staff stays.

I just don't see how any of you can possibly think a 8-9 win season is a win-win.

First of all, Idc how bad our coaches are, we easily have the talent to win 8-9 games YEARLY no matter what. That's #1. So I think it's much more likely Diaz wins 8-9 games this year than he only wins 7 or less. Sure we may have zero depth at CB, ****** LBs, and Bad WRs, etc, but we are still very talented, and more talented than just about every single ACC school except Clemson.

Then most importantly how can any of you trust our administration/BOT to make changes with a 8-9 win season? History has shown they are clearly happy with that. So do you think Blake James is going to be making ANY changes unless he is forced to? **** no, he's too ***** and doesn't give a **** about winning. What do you think it'll take to force that change? Either a President who gives a **** - Frenk doesn't and is leaving, or a BOT who gives a ****... Which sure maybe some of them do, but clearly not enough to force anything after another 8-9 win season.

IMO This is only a win-win if we win<7 or 10+ games.

??? I don't get what you are saying. I'm half Cuban, and every Cuban person I know that follows Miami football is fully aware that Diaz and Cristobal are Cuban coaches. I have never heard anyone say, "he's barely a Cuban" except for on this board (and I'm guessing that's non-cuban people saying that for whatever strange reasons they may have).

Well, it was just an off the cuff remark. It’s not that deep really. I wouldn’t take it too seriously.

I’m just jokingly riffing on the fact he doesn’t fit that old cigar-chomping, guayabera-wearing, domino-playing stereotype. The fact is, unless people mentioned he was Cuban, who would even really know other than his name or his dad.

My main point is that he’s nothing like Bo Pellini

Advertisement
Back