I am definitely not sweating Manny’s decision. Neither should you.

Y'all can't help but clamor over all these fake insiders with sauces into the football program, but when actual alumni try to tell you how the University works, you don't wanna hear a word of it.

Sure guys. All of you who've never even been to Coral Gables know everything about the Trustees who run the University and have for decades.

The only person on this entire thread who knows what he's talking about, besides yours truly, is @OriginalCanesCanesCanes, and he's preaching right now.

Stop believing what you want and listen to people who understand how The U operates.

Advertisement
The Board of Trustees hires the HC. The AD is a facilitator and figurehead in that process, AT MIAMI.

Let's try this again.

Have you ever stepped foot on campus? Have you ever, EVER spoken to ANYONE who is influential at Miami?
I appreciate that you love to position yourself as superinsider and attempt to talk down to other posters based on off-board topics. You're free to continue to do that, as it's your thing. But don't expect a response.

As for the BOT, we simultaneously have you saying they generally don't care, are mostly uninterested, and now they hire the HC. So how's that work. Do they fire them, too?

What you're describing is the problem. It's obviously the problem. It's a cluster-**** and a dysfunctional administrative dynamic. I think everyone sees that. All I see you doing is stomping your foot louder and louder to state the obvious.

James is a disaster of an AD. If he were anything other than that he'd have resigned already. The fact that he's the disaster the BOT (which doesn't give a **** anyhow) wants isn't interesting unless you're a German with a penchant for schadenfreud.

I’m talking about people that are significant contributors. In the neighborhood of $5k or more a year. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but it does give you access to peoples ears. They can’t afford to lose those people. Golden canes may not have a say or be in the room where the hiring decisions are made,

They don't have a say, but they do in a roundabout way, as their money talks, and they're also the ones who are most connected to the very significant donors.

The question I have is, do we think Manny is a Top 10 DC? If so, what’s the big fuggin deal?
Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office

I appreciate that you love to position yourself as superinsider and attempt to talk down to other posters based on off-board topics. You're free to continue to do that, as it's your thing. But don't expect a response.

As for the BOT, we simultaneously have you saying they generally don't care, are mostly uninterested, and now they hire the HC. So how's that work. Do they fire them, too?

What you're describing is the problem. It's obviously the problem. It's a cluster-**** and a dysfunctional administrative dynamic. I think everyone sees that. All I see you doing is stomping your foot louder and louder to state the obvious.

James is a disaster of an AD. If he were anything other than that he'd have resigned already. The fact that he's the disaster the BOT (which doesn't give a **** anyhow) wants isn't interesting unless you're a German with a penchant for schadenfreud.

I never called myself a "superinsider." I'm a lifelong fan, alum and former employee. I also happen to have personal and professional interest in University financing, to the point I've contributed to published academic research on it. I've also had clients who are Trustees in a former job. So yeah, I probably know more than the dude who bought a t-shirt in 1993 and rants and raves on a message board.

So maybe instead of being butthurt when someone is far more informed than you are and disagrees with your wildly ignorant opinions, open your ears like an adult and listen?

I never said or even implied the Board doesn't care and does at the same time, and if you think that, I'd check your reading comprehension skills.

I've also never, at any point, said the administration is such a cluster. So again, try harder. I have been exceedingly consistent in what I've said about the Board and the program as a hole.

You're continuing to talk about the Board as if you know, so I'm going to ask you the same questions again.

Keep turning your back on them and proving yourself an ignorant coward all you want.

Advertisement
They don't have a say, but they do in a roundabout way, as their money talks, and they're also the ones who are most connected to the very significant donors.

This is exactly what I’m saying. At least people like us get callbacks, and they have to listen to our shlt.

It is probably only a tiny handful of huge contributors that are going to have input, if any, to the hiring decision. But like I said whether you contribute $5k, or $500,000 a year, you make the decision where and when to contribute. That’s huge for them and something people, who buy a T-shirt every three years, don’t understand.

I never called myself a "superinsider." I'm a lifelong fan, alum and former employee. I also happen to have personal and professional interest in University financing, to the point I've contributed to published academic research on it. I've also had clients who are Trustees in a former job. So yeah, I probably know more than the dude who bought a t-shirt in 1993 and rants and raves on a message board.

So maybe instead of being butthurt when someone is far more informed than you are and disagrees with your wildly ignorant opinions, open your ears like an adult and listen?

I never said or even implied the Board doesn't care and does at the same time, and if you think that, I'd check your reading comprehension skills.

I've also never, at any point, said the administration is such a cluster. So again, try harder. I have been exceedingly consistent in what I've said about the Board and the program as a hole.

You're continuing to talk about the Board as if you know, so I'm going to ask you the same questions again.

Keep turning your back on them and proving yourself an ignorant coward all you want.
I have to give it to you - you're a true archetype - a species of message board critter that exists everywhere. The guy who loves to tell everyone how accomplished he is, how connected he is, and simultaneously belittles others over how unaccomplished and unconnected he fancies them to be.

I think it's really great that you contributed to a published paper, by the way. That's an incredible feat, and totally changes my view of the UM football and administrative dynamic. It's now clear that it's well run, and the only reason for 20 years of failure and continued failed coaching staffs is just ... bad luck.

We’re gonna win 9 games and manny is going to get a huge extension.

mark my words.
With 9 wins after all this hot chimichanga shuffling? I hope he is bending over for the "Huge extension."

Like the great @Cribby said, this is a “win-win”.

There can only be 2 results:

1. One scenario is it turns out to be a savage move, Manny flipping the bird to all the back-seat coaches, saying “I got this” and ends up having an outstanding 11-12 win year (yeah right)

2. The second and most likely scenario: He falls flat on his face and just fūcked himself on his best chance to be a big time head coach. He’s fired and we have a new coach by this time next year.

Now I say don’t sweat it. Why?

He either kills it, or he’s gone and maybe we get a coach committed to, and having the ability, to at the very least dominate the Coastal and then go from there.

Me, personally?

I think he’s going out with a bang, so I’ll give him props for sticking to his guns, even though it’s going to end up just like this:

View attachment 141137

You go, Manny!

Ride that thermonuclear warhead all the way down to the bitter end.

(hope I’m wrong)
The third alternative is the most likely. He muddles throough enough to earn a fourth year and a short extension. That would be worse but more likely than succeeding or falling flat on his face.

Advertisement
The third alternative is the most likely. He muddles throough enough to earn a fourth year and a short extension. That would be worse but more likely than succeeding or falling flat on his face.
Manny's going to get the team to the place where it can go somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3 every year. As long as he doesn't go 6-6, he's probably here forever.

...and they will be. Not just season ticket sales which, by the way, does affect revenue, but that was not the only thing I was talking about, therefore revenues will be affected. Talking about the whole deal, it all goes together. Contributions, ticket sales, alumni discontent leading to more pressure, in addition to the pressure already mentioned, which is the financial pressure. Believe me this is the people that I know.

I know we speak to how I feel in the people that I know feel. And I’m pretty confident if next year is any kind of a disaster, that is less than 10 wins and some embarrassing losses I can almost guarantee he’s gone. I’ll stand by that.

I realize that you have other reasons to dislike the program and not wish it well, but that kind of wishful thinking is not going to happen. Either Manny blows it out of the water next year he’s gone. Too many of us are tired of it.

And if the financial hit they will take isn’t enough to get Manny and Flake fired, then I don’t know what to tell you. But I’m fairly certain it will be.
You think I dislike the program? Smfh.

The only issue is that Manny likely survives next year and then gets fired in 2 years now. So AT LEAST 2 more years of mediocrity.

Advertisement
I can't figure out if you're a third grader, a troll, or just not smart. Why would you come back with this sort of nonsense? Who ever denies there are 'any other posters' that do anything? It's a ridiculous retort. You're the one out here flailing at all these other posters who don't meet your standard of fandom, and then can't say anything rational when called on it. I don't care whether there are some posters who do anything. You're not being so precise in your flailing comments. I responded to your overbroad comments and pointed out they made no sense to me.

And you still don't seem to get the point. At all. There's nothing strange about posters who feel both that Diaz is hot garbage, and that Mr. Hot Garbage served up some hot garbage today. That's not inconsistent. It's perfectly logical. You seem to think posters who feel that way should be happy that he's going to fail. Many fans don't want to see failure, so they're simultaneously unhappy with the head coach and unhappy with the actions of the head coach. Not even slightly hard to reconcile.

The idea that we should prefer this to a real DC because he might have some excuse in the future if a real DC failed might make sense to you, but it sure doesn't to me. There's not any logical reason to even believe that your future scenario is more protective of Manny than this one. But it doesn't matter to me. I want to see the program succeed. I also want to see good decisions. Watching it walk the last 100 yards towards a minefield isn't a good image just because you get to hit reset after the place blows up. It just sucks. My No. 1 priority is to see the program made better decisions and play better football.

My comments weren't overbroad, I observed the irony that some posters who previously couldnt wait for Diaz to get fired are now whining about the move today because they think it was shortsighted and likely to get Diaz fired. This particular group of mopes annoys me because they can't make up their minds. Clearly that touched nerve with you as you must think you resemble that characterization.

Someone who was hoping Diaz would succeed and is truly disappointed by the moves (or lack thereof) isn't in that group. I think you are getting your panties in a knot because it bothers you that I'm mocking fans who have the emotional stability of 15 year old teenage girl-- and apparently you took offense as you feel that you strongly fall into that teenage girl camp and see it as a personal insult :

"I loathe Diaz and I want him gone yesterday! I HATE MANNY!!! Oh no! He just made a decision that will increase the chances of him getting fired. WHY MANNY? WHY? YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE I LOVE YOU MANNY AND YOU BROKE MY HEART. "

There is also a group that thinks the faster Diaz gets fired, the better for the program in the long run, and they are happy with the move today. Good. They are rational. They've said all along that Diaz is hot garbage, they think he served up hot garbage and they are pleased that it will shorten his time. I may disagree with that viewpoint , but I at least respect their consistency. I have no quarrel with them because one year from now we will have an unambiguous result. It will be a success or failure. No in between.

Diaz bet on himself. I truly respect that. I think the rational view is that this is best for the lovers and the haters as both sides finally have common ground. It was either a stroke of brilliance and works, or a massive failure and he basically fired himself. The absolute worst case was Diaz making a splash hire of a mediocre DC like Steele, Miami winning 8-9 games and Diaz getting 2-3 more years because his "big time coach" moves bought him some breathing room. I think the chances are much lower now of a 8-9 win lukewarm season, which the AD would view as a success. He's going big or going home. I either want 10+ wins and Diaz to establish he's the guy or winning fewer than 5 and the end of the Diaz era. I'm tired of watching the program hovering around mediocrity. As I said - any rational, objective fan of the program should be happy. They may not see it yet but they will. We get a final answer in 12 months. This is a win win situation in my book. It is irrational to be upset unless you want several more years of mediocrity and an excuse for Blake James to give Diaz an extension because "he's proven he can make tough choices and now needs more time."

My comments weren't overbroad, I observed the irony that some posters who previously couldnt wait for Diaz to get fired are now whining about the move today because they think it was shortsighted and likely to get Diaz fired. This particular group of mopes annoys me because they can't make up their minds. Clearly that touched nerve with you as you must think you resemble that characterization.

Someone who was hoping Diaz would succeed and is truly disappointed by the moves (or lack thereof) isn't in that group. I think you are getting your panties in a knot because it bothers you that I'm mocking fans who have the emotional stability of 15 year old teenage girl-- and apparently you took offense as you feel that you strongly fall into that teenage girl camp and see it as a personal insult :

"I loathe Diaz and I want him gone yesterday! I HATE MANNY!!! Oh no! He just made a decision that will increase the chances of him getting fired. WHY MANNY? WHY? YOU COULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE I LOVE YOU MANNY AND YOU BROKE MY HEART. "

There is also a group that thinks the faster Diaz gets fired, the better for the program in the long run, and they are happy with the move today. Good. They are rational. They've said all along that Diaz is hot garbage, they think he served up hot garbage and they are pleased that it will shorten his time. I may disagree with that viewpoint , but I at least respect their consistency. I have no quarrel with them because one year from now we will have an unambiguous result. It will be a success or failure. No in between.

Diaz bet on himself. I truly respect that. I think the rational view is that this is best for the lovers and the haters as both sides finally have common ground. It was either a stroke of brilliance and works, or a massive failure and he basically fired himself. The absolute worst case was Diaz making a splash hire of a mediocre DC like Steele, Miami winning 8-9 games and Diaz getting 2-3 more years because his "big time coach" moves bought him some breathing room. I think the chances are much lower now of a 8-9 win lukewarm season, which the AD would view as a success. He's going big or going home. I either want 10+ wins and Diaz to establish he's the guy or winning fewer than 5 and the end of the Diaz era. I'm tired of watching the program hovering around mediocrity. As I said - any rational, objective fan of the program should be happy. They may not see it yet but they will. We get a final answer in 12 months. This is a win win situation in my book. It is irrational to be upset unless you want several more years of mediocrity and an excuse for Blake James to give Diaz an extension because "he's proven he can make tough choices and now needs more time."
All I know is if you'd ask me 4 years ago if I'd be ok with Lashlee as OC and Manolo as DC and D. King at QB, I'd have been A-Ok with it. Not sure what the problem is now, but let's roll! GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Why do people keep talking like they are the U administration? What do you mean if "Diaz only wins 9 games and doesnt win the Coastal he is toast. "By whose standards? So you guys gonna fire him?

@dsddcane nailed it when he wrote "I've told you guys this **** from the second he got hired. He is purgatory for miami football. Just good enough to get by,meaning he'll be here forever."
You know a lot of people criticize others for having unrealistic expectation like the team winning the ACC championship or going to the playoffs, but a lot of folks also have been on the boards talking about what is going to happen to a coach, when his very hiring by the U was a sign of a lack of commitment to excellence.

We have to be honest with ourselves. There was no real search for a coach, and where do they do that at? The U. And the same U (admin) is simply satisfied with making money off the program. And yall know it that clown whatshername showed them the way. Its why the only time they actually consider changing coaches is when folks start boycotting games, which loses them money and starts to take shine off the program nationally, which of course limits its ability to make money off the program.

So Manny Diaz is not going anywhere if he has any kind of success next year we can holla and scream about if he doesn't win the Coastal or 10 games all we want. If he wins 8 games or even 9 he will be damned near coach for life (definitely extended) until he has another ridiculous set of losses that embarrasses the school nationally and causes all of you to go nuts.
If he only wins 8 games, people will go nuts....

And It’s not hard to imagine a world where the losses we do have are in embarrassing fashion.

A lot of people on this board were ready to fire him after this year, imagine the pressure the fan base will apply if the best he muster up next year is 8-4.

If y'all think Manny is getting fired if he wins 8 games, you're setting yourselves up for disappointment.
Manny is in year 2 of his development as a head coach. The decision makers knew he was inexperienced and are likely going to give him some rope to learn if for no other reason than to protect their own choice. Unless its something like 4 wins without an excuse Manny'll be given every chance to right the ship. Even Randy Shannon got 4 years. But he also improved each year until the last one.

Advertisement
Back