I am definitely not sweating Manny’s decision. Neither should you.

No that’s reality. You must not know any people that contribute or have season tickets.
I can't say what he knows. I can however say what I know. That's if he wins another 8 or 9 games (which is really simple)he ain't going nowhere. The only time pressure will be applied within the program is when BOTH SIGNIFICANT ALUMNI AND REVENUE ARE AFFECTED. That's not season ticket sales. That's advertising money and uhealth... He's got some alumni fired up right now but unless the rest happens that'll get brushed under the table.

Advertisement
Because the people that put money into the program are sick of the bullshlt.

When season ticket sales significantly suffer, or don’t increase as much as they should between 2021 and 2022, they’ll have to make a move.

Season ticket sales are significantly down for 2021, and believe me it’s not all because of Covid. That North Carolina game left a lasting impression on the people that count. Not the message board blowhards, nobody gives a shlt about them. I’m talking about the people that put real money into the program.

Both Blake and Manny will get fired unless there’s a stellar performance next year.

But some of you fūckers just wanna be miserable
And I see this totally happening after this whole Baker debacle. There's a lot of backlash happening. Manny's seat just became hotter with todays moves, or non-moves. A lot of fans like ourselves aren't blind and if this year isn't significantly better, I expect Manny and Blake going to the bye-bye bowl.

I guess you’re not a season ticket holder or a significant booster (thousands per year into the program) or know very many people that are.

You’re not reading the room, and by room I mean the people that count and put money into the progra
If standards for a coach in year 3 have changed that significantly, we will find out together, because you **** sure aren’t in that room either.

Like the great @Cribby said, this is a “win-win”.

There can only be 2 results:

1. One scenario is it turns out to be a savage move, Manny flipping the bird to all the back-seat coaches, saying “I got this” and ends up having an outstanding 11-12 win year (yeah right)

2. The second and most likely scenario: He falls flat on his face and just fūcked himself on his best chance to be a big time head coach. He’s fired and we have a new coach by this time next year.

Now I say don’t sweat it. Why?

He either kills it, or he’s gone and maybe we get a coach committed to, and having the ability, to at the very least dominate the Coastal and then go from there.

Me, personally?

I think he’s going out with a bang, so I’ll give him props for sticking to his guns, even though it’s going to end up just like this:

View attachment 141137

You go, Manny!

Ride that thermonuclear warhead all the way down to the bitter end.

(hope I’m wrong)
What you and Cribby say makes sense but with an administration who except being averages not sure Manny is gone even with an average year. We won’t be bad but I could see 7 or 8 win season with a better offense and still D weaknesses.

Advertisement
....BOTH SIGNIFICANT ALUMNI AND REVENUE ARE AFFECTED...

...and they will be. Not just season ticket sales which, by the way, does affect revenue, but that was not the only thing I was talking about, therefore revenues will be affected. Talking about the whole deal, it all goes together. Contributions, ticket sales, alumni discontent leading to more pressure, in addition to the pressure already mentioned, which is the financial pressure. Believe me this is the people that I know.

I know we speak to how I feel in the people that I know feel. And I’m pretty confident if next year is any kind of a disaster, that is less than 10 wins and some embarrassing losses I can almost guarantee he’s gone. I’ll stand by that.

I realize that you have other reasons to dislike the program and not wish it well, but that kind of wishful thinking is not going to happen. Either Manny blows it out of the water next year he’s gone. Too many of us are tired of it.

And if the financial hit they will take isn’t enough to get Manny and Flake fired, then I don’t know what to tell you. But I’m fairly certain it will be.

OP probably right

But with Blake James still in charge, that doesn't make me feel better

He's the main problem

What is Blake James in charge of, in your opinion?

Because it's not hiring the HC and it's not coaching the football team.

I'd argue people who call themselves fans of the University of Miami who know basically nothing about the University of Miami and definitely DO nothing for the University of Miami are probably the biggest problem right now.

So you are denying that there are any posters that have been actively rooting for Diaz to fail so that Miami can replace him? If you are denying that, then you are rejecting reality. If you fall into the camp you described, awesome I will send you an electronic cookie. But there are lots of posters who just a few days ago were posting that Diaz is hot garbage, and now they are complaining that he made a decision that will either definitively end his career or prove that he's the guy. It should make those people happy. If Diaz hired a big time DC that ran a different scheme and he failed, Diaz could fall back on the excuse that he shouldnt have given the D to someone else and argue that he needs one more chance to hire someone who has his coaching philosophy. Now it's all on him. I for one am glad that this is going to end definitively. If he fails, he and James are gone and the next guy gets a loaded team and a new AD that might get it right. If he succeeds, it was a ballsy move and he teabagged the doubters. I like clear answers and finality.
I can't figure out if you're a third grader, a troll, or just not smart. Why would you come back with this sort of nonsense? Who ever denies there are 'any other posters' that do anything? It's a ridiculous retort. You're the one out here flailing at all these other posters who don't meet your standard of fandom, and then can't say anything rational when called on it. I don't care whether there are some posters who do anything. You're not being so precise in your flailing comments. I responded to your overbroad comments and pointed out they made no sense to me.

And you still don't seem to get the point. At all. There's nothing strange about posters who feel both that Diaz is hot garbage, and that Mr. Hot Garbage served up some hot garbage today. That's not inconsistent. It's perfectly logical. You seem to think posters who feel that way should be happy that he's going to fail. Many fans don't want to see failure, so they're simultaneously unhappy with the head coach and unhappy with the actions of the head coach. Not even slightly hard to reconcile.

The idea that we should prefer this to a real DC because he might have some excuse in the future if a real DC failed might make sense to you, but it sure doesn't to me. There's not any logical reason to even believe that your future scenario is more protective of Manny than this one. But it doesn't matter to me. I want to see the program succeed. I also want to see good decisions. Watching it walk the last 100 yards towards a minefield isn't a good image just because you get to hit reset after the place blows up. It just sucks. My No. 1 priority is to see the program made better decisions and play better football.

Rooting for a elite recruiting class and a good year then a new HC the following year. No way with this D he beats good squads unless Taylor is a monster day one. I doubt u could come in at DT year one and do some Ed Oliver ****. U have to be real special to do that.

Advertisement
...and they will be. Not just season ticket sales which, by the way, does affect revenue, but that was not the only thing I was talking about, therefore revenues will be affected. Talking about the whole deal, it all goes together. Contributions, ticket sales, alumni discontent leading to more pressure, in addition to the pressure already mentioned, which is the financial pressure. Believe me this is the people that I know.

I know we speak to how I feel in the people that I know feel. And I’m pretty confident if next year is any kind of a disaster, that is less than 10 wins and some embarrassing losses I can almost guarantee he’s gone. I’ll stand by that.

I realize that you have other reasons to dislike the program and not wish it well, but that kind of wishful thinking is not going to happen. Either Manny blows it out of the water next year he’s gone. Too many of us are tired of it.

And if the financial hit they will take isn’t enough to get Manny and Flake fired, then I don’t know what to tell you. But I’m fairly certain it will be.

I'd agree with all of this, although I guess that would be completely ignoring that for some reason the people who give most to the football program care least about it, according to this site.

What is Blake James in charge of, in your opinion?

Because it's not hiring the HC and it's not coaching the football team.

I'd argue people who call themselves fans of the University of Miami who know basically nothing about the University of Miami and definitely DO nothing for the University of Miami are probably the biggest problem right now.
So the BOT isn't in charge of hiring the HC because (a) they don't care for the most part and (b) that's not really what BOTs do.

The President isn't in charge of hiring the HC because he's clueless, doesn't care and no one expects otherwise.

The AD apparently isn't in charge of hiring the HC because ... reasons.

So no one is. An the AD's core job is what, again?

Advertisement
So the BOT isn't in charge of hiring the HC because (a) they don't care for the most part and (b) that's not really what BOTs do.

The President isn't in charge of hiring the HC because he's clueless, doesn't care and no one expects otherwise.

The AD apparently isn't in charge of hiring the HC because ... reasons.

So no one is. An the AD's core job is what, again?

Have you ever stepped foot on campus?

(a) The people who give millions of dollars to the University don't care? OK... that makes sense. Are you aware Jon Vilma is a Trustee? What about Alex Rodriguez? Marcus Lemonis? Do you have any idea who David Epstein is? and (b) it is at a small, private school like Miami. And if you don't understand that, you've never read anything about coaching searches at Miami.

The President has basically nothing to do with it.

The AD's job is to sell tickets and increase profitability.

Anything else you'd like me to teach you today?

Because the people that put money into the program are sick of the bullshlt.

When season ticket sales significantly suffer, or don’t increase as much as they should between 2021 and 2022, they’ll have to make a move.

Season ticket sales are significantly down for 2021, and believe me it’s not all because of Covid. That North Carolina game left a lasting impression on the people that count. Not the message board blowhards, nobody gives a shlt about them. I’m talking about the people that put real money into the program.

Both Blake and Manny will get fired unless there’s a stellar performance next year.

But some of you fūckers just wanna be miserable

But... but... why would the people who put real money into the program care if we win or lose???

They all hate the program, but LOVE blowing money!

Why do people keep talking like they are the U administration? What do you mean if "Diaz only wins 9 games and doesnt win the Coastal he is toast. "By whose standards? So you guys gonna fire him?

@dsddcane nailed it when he wrote "I've told you guys this **** from the second he got hired. He is purgatory for miami football. Just good enough to get by,meaning he'll be here forever."
You know a lot of people criticize others for having unrealistic expectation like the team winning the ACC championship or going to the playoffs,
but a lot of folks also have been on the boards talking about what is going to happen to a coach, when his very hiring by the U was a sign of a lack of commitment to excellence.

We have to be honest with ourselves. There was no real search for a coach, and where do they do that at? The U. And the same U (admin) is simply satisfied with making money off the program. And yall know it that clown whatshername showed them the way. Its why the only time they actually consider changing coaches is when folks start boycotting games, which loses them money and starts to take shine off the program nationally, which of course limits its ability to make money off the program.

So Manny Diaz is not going anywhere if he has any kind of success next year we can holla and scream about if he doesn't win the Coastal or 10 games all we want. If he wins 8 games or even 9 he will be damned near coach for life (definitely extended) until he has another ridiculous set of losses that embarrasses the school nationally and causes all of you to go nuts.
The thing that pains me the most about watchign this program is how obviously unprepared the staff and team are for important games. If the UM writing program was sending illiterates into national competitions, the admin would presumably be embarrassed about that and try to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it. Well, we're doing the football equivalent of that, sending players who are massively under-prepared and under-coached into games and watchign them get embarrassed on national TV. By UNC but also by FIU. It's pathetic, and it's been going on since Coker. The issue isn't so much at this point (for me) the 'what they have to win' as it is 'just be competent and prepared.' If they could do that, it would at least indicate that a bunch of qualified people are trying hard. But we have a bunch of unqualified people responsible for student athletes in a dangerous, physical game. It really sucks. The U should be ashamed of how it's managed this program the past 2 decades.

Advertisement
Have you ever stepped foot on campus?

(a) The people who give millions of dollars to the University don't care? OK... that makes sense. Are you aware Jon Vilma is a Trustee? What about Alex Rodriguez? Marcus Lemonis? Do you have any idea who David Epstein is? and (b) it is at a small, private school like Miami. And if you don't understand that, you've never read anything about coaching searches at Miami.

The President has basically nothing to do with it.

The AD's job is to sell tickets and increase profitability.

Anything else you'd like me to teach you today?
Let's try this again.

Who's job is it to hire the head coach?

If standards for a coach in year 3 have changed that significantly, we will find out together, because you **** sure aren’t in that room either.

I've been in that room plenty, and can also say with reasonable certainty, that barring big steps, Manny will be gone. Demoting your DC the way he did is not a good look after the way we ended the season.

Let's try this again.

Who's job is it to hire the head coach?

The Board of Trustees hires the HC. The AD is a facilitator and figurehead in that process, AT MIAMI.

Let's try this again.

Have you ever stepped foot on campus? Have you ever, EVER spoken to ANYONE who is influential at Miami?

I don’t know what you mean by me being in that room, but if you are implying the room where the decisions are made, that’s not the room I was talking about.

I’m talking about people that are significant contributors. In the neighborhood of $5k or more a year. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but it does give you access to peoples ears. They can’t afford to lose those people. Golden canes may not have a say or be in the room where the hiring decisions are made, but they make decisions every year about their contributions.

Advertisement
Back