I’m Still repping for Stoops

The only thing that concerns me about Stoops is the offensive scheme he'd prefer to run.
Why? It won with a WR at QB. You guys love invent problems with coaches that are clearly superior and proven to be superior to a lot of your choices. I know you haven’t been vocal about anybody but I’m just speaking in general.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Campbell too. I just thought him and a guy such as Fickell has zero interest in us so I left them off my list. All of these guys would be tremendous upgrades to Manny. Hopefully we have a legit AD announced shortly after Thanksgiving.
Campbell is gonna get NFL buzz again in the offseason. It seems to me he’s staying out until a franchise offers him a job.

Stoops is definitely higher on my list than Mario. Still want Lane though. BTW, Lane was doing fine at USC until his final season. I think the sanctions were just too much to overcome.
Yep. A lot on the board here seem to overlook Lanes overall record at USC those first two years. He's grown as a coach tremendously since then.

it took stoops 6 years to turn around kentucky. Granted I know we're not as rock bottom as they were at the time but still, that's a LONG time and Miami nor us fans would be that patient

Mario and Lane both turned schools around within the the first two years
What do you mean 6 years? He’s been 7 wins or better since his 4th year up until last year and he’s 8-3 this year and it’s probably his best year ever.

Advertisement
The only thing that concerns me about Stoops is the offensive scheme he'd prefer to run.
He has run multiple schemes. I think his first OC hire was a Leach air raid disciple. One of the reasons I prefer Stoops to Mario is because I think he would be more likely to adapt his offense to his personnel rather than force a particular type of offense.

I like Stoops a lot. Unfortunately for our fanbase he didnt have 91 first round draft picks, 4 heisman winners and 10 straight championships.
He’s only have his best year ever this year, has been 7 wins or better since his 4th year there up until last year, and is being considered for the LSU job. Hey, Mario played here though.

He has run multiple schemes. I think his first OC hire was a Leach air raid disciple. One of the reasons I prefer Stoops to Mario is because I think he would be more likely to adapt his offense to his personnel rather than force a particular type of offense.
You put Lashlee with his defense next year and we don’t lose a game until Clemson. 99% sure of that.

They couldn't get ri

Herbert had His 2 best seasons under Mario, and Herbert threw the ball as much or even more than the top QBs in the Country at the time. This notion that Mario is a "3 yds. and a cloud of dust" coach is just plain wrong. Give Mario TVD with our RB room and we're breakin' records...period.

Advertisement
FSU fans weren't too happy with His defense when He was there. Took Pruitt to get them over the hump.
I’m going of what I’ve seen recently. Guy knows how coach and evaluate a Defense. Jamin Davis, Lonnie Johnson, Josh Allen, ZaDarius Smith, Danny Trevathan, Avery Williamson, Bud Dupree, Josh Forrest, Mike Edwards, Kelvin Joseph, Quinton Bohanna, Brandon Echols, and Phil Hoskins all played on that D. He’s also had his share of offensive linemen, RBs, and WRs as well. Moving to a job like Miami will probably prove he’s one of the best evaluators in all of ball.

I don't care about HC with fixed ideas or if only successful because of their offensive or defensive style. That would take you so far. Case in point, Gus Malzan.

I want a HC who is not married to certain play philosophy but knows how to recruit, develop and implement strong culture of discipline and toughness. If you are not married to specific scheme on either side of the ball then you have the freedom to choose the best assistants and adjust your play style to best compete against your opponents.

To me, Stoops can do that based on what he did at Kentucky in the toughest conference of college football. His recruits are probably the bottom of the barrel in the SEC competing against recruiting power houses with their bag men and care dealerships. Contrast that with the recruiting power of Oregon in the PAC-12 where Mario could get the best recruits on the West Coast.

I don't know if this makes sense to the posters who have better football knowledge than me but that's where I stand.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You paying the $20 million buyout for Stoops?
I honestly don't know about his buyout and from what I read here there are conflicting reports about the amount. All I'm discussing here is his qualifications.

Also there seems to be interest on his part. I say this because when asked about the rumor of Miami coaching job availability he dodged the question. Maybe because he wants to use that to get more money from Kentucky, I have no idea. It's just he didn't say "I'm not going anywhere" or "love where I am" etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Safe to say most people will be happy with 1 of the 3. Circumstances will dictate who that one is. Let it play out and then get behind them like no other.

What??? He won 10 games in year 5. I’m still in shock that he turned Kentucky around. Prior to Stoops, Kentucky never won consistently

The last Kentucky HC to have an overall winning record, while HC at Kentucky, was Blanton Collier and he was there between 54-61.

I don't personally want Stoops but this guy has done all he can at Kentucky. Including this year, over his last 5 years, he is 21-21 in conference. The last HC (while at Kentucky) to go .500 or better in conference was Bear Bryant (46-53).

Advertisement
Back