I’m Still repping for Stoops

And both Ole Miss and Oregon have had a recent history of winning.Which make it easier to win quicker. Kentucky has NEVER had a winning history in the modern era.
eh

Oregon was taken over by mario in 2018 here's the seasons before him
2016: 4-8
2017: 7-6

Ole Miss was taken over by Lane in 2020, here's the seasons before him
2018: 5-7
2019: 4-8

Kentucky was taken over by Mark Stoops in 2013, here's the seasons before him
2011: 5-7
2012: 2-11

Mario took over a better team for sure but not a GREAT team by any stretch of the imagination and he saw results in year 1 and went 9-4.

Lane went 5-5 year 1 and now has his team 9-2 in year 2

none of the three walked into a good situation

What stoops did has been incredible, but I just don't have enough on him to assume he'll be able to get us in a positive direction quickly. He went through nearly 2 full classes of recruits before seeing success, that's a steep ask

Advertisement
I mean the what if game is strong

if Borregales makes a field goal against UVA instead of blowing it, we stop FSU on 4th and 14, and TV doesn't throw a dumb pick with 12 seconds left against UNC then we would be 9-2 with our only losses being Michigan State and Alabama.... NOW that is crazy to think about.

Stoops is probably the safest choice out there. He coaches in the best conference at a school that is historically bad at football and they consistently play better than expected. Similar to how JJ got Oklahoma State to be respectable before he came to Miami.

Aranda is my top choice (although his buy out is huge). The question with him though is such a small sample size of games as a HC. An elite DC though.

Lane is high risk/high reward. It is impressive what he has done since he left the Saban coaching staff. However, he just seems a bit "off". Did anyone see his post-game, on-field interview tonight? He seemed to be on some kind of substance or maybe he has Asbergers? Just something a bit off. Could we trust him with that responsibility?

Mario is a great recruiter and instills discipline. Game day coaching is lacking and no coordinator experience are negatives. He did the unbelievable and beat Ohio State earlier this year, but he always seems to drop a game or 2 each year that just boggle the mind. How long till everyone is asking for his head here if that continues?

First things first, let's get the best AD we can and go from there.

it took stoops 6 years to turn around kentucky. Granted I know we're not as rock bottom as they were at the time but still, that's a LONG time and Miami nor us fans would be that patient

Mario and Lane both turned schools around within the the first two years
Mario turned around a school that played nobody at FIU. Kentucky was 2-10 and had no players and took a team that bad to 10 wins in 6 years. Old **** had a 10 win season in 2015 before lane. Kentucky had its last 10 win season in 70’s lol. What stoops has done is way more impressive than what Lane is doing and Mario did at FIU. But that’s JMO.

Advertisement
I like Stoops a lot. Unfortunately for our fanbase he didnt have 91 first round draft picks, 4 heisman winners and 10 straight championships.
A- He is not a **** name who runs successful offenses and gives interesting interviews and seems to be always in the news ..................coach X
B- He is not a Miami product, knows the culture and the city and x-players will vouch for him..........coach Y
If you are not X or Y then you're not the right coach.

Last edited:
A- He is not a **** name who runs successful offenses and gives interesting interviews and seems to be always in the news ..................coach X
B- He is not a Miami product, knows the culture and the city and the players will vouch for him..........coach Y
If you are not X or Y then you're not the right coach.
If he keeps TRob they say it can work.

eh

Mario took over a better team for sure but not a GREAT team by any stretch of the imagination and he saw results in year 1 and went 9-4.

What stoops did has been incredible, but I just don't have enough on him to assume he'll be able to get us in a positive direction quickly. He went through nearly 2 full classes of recruits before seeing success, that's a steep ask
Oregon had just played in a ship in 2015. And Hugh Freeze had Ole Miss winning and recruiting at high level before he was replaced by Matt Luke. The cupboard wasn’t empty in neither case. Both Justin Herbert and Matt Corral were on their respective teams when the turnaround began.Is it coincidence that the quick turnaround happened with elite quarterbacks??? Name me a time Stoops ever had an elite qb???? I’ll wait… Just further proof that he’s our guy.

Advertisement
What??? He won 10 games in year 5. I’m still in shock that he turned Kentucky around. Prior to Stoops, Kentucky never won consistently
Worded poorly!! Sorry. Should’ve said:

He’s been there 9 years, and he’s had a solid program but that much time I’d have liked to see the next step.

But also as I’m writing this I realize I’m kind of talking out of my *** because I haven’t watched enough to really get any perspective on them

Stoops is probably the safest choice out there. He coaches in the best conference at a school that is historically bad at football and they consistently play better than expected. Similar to how JJ got Oklahoma State to be respectable before he came to Miami.

Aranda is my top choice (although his buy out is huge). The question with him though is such a small sample size of games as a HC. An elite DC though.

Lane is high risk/high reward. It is impressive what he has done since he left the Saban coaching staff. However, he just seems a bit "off". Did anyone see his post-game, on-field interview tonight? He seemed to be on some kind of substance or maybe he has Asbergers? Just something a bit off. Could we trust him with that responsibility?

Mario is a great recruiter and instills discipline. Game day coaching is lacking and no coordinator experience are negatives. He did the unbelievable and beat Ohio State earlier this year, but he always seems to drop a game or 2 each year that just boggle the mind. How long till everyone is asking for his head here if that continues?

First things first, let's get the best AD we can and go from there.
Solid write-up.
Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

I mean the what if game is strong

if Borregales makes a field goal against UVA instead of blowing it, we stop FSU on 4th and 14, and TV doesn't throw a dumb pick with 12 seconds left against UNC then we would be 9-2 with our only losses being Michigan State and Alabama.... NOW that is crazy to think about.
So let’s play that out…. If a helmet doesn’t somehow come off, a phantom penalty call go out way, and a knee not just barely touch the field… we would be 3-8.

There’s no value in playing the what if game.

Advertisement
I know the board is fascinated with Mario and Lane but Mark Stoops needs to be our next coach. Lane couldn’t win at USC so why do you think he would win here??? As for Mario… I tried to tell people that Oregon was trash. They don’t have a qb and their DC has been trash wherever he’s gone.
If Mario can find his next Geoff Collins or Todd Orlando for the DC then I won’t complain. However, Stoops took Kentucky and made them respectable. Do y’all understand how hard that is!?!? He develops players and will get in their *** when it’s needed. Let’s hope Mario stays at Oregon and Lane goes to Florida 🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿 Stoops welcome to the U!!!
The problem with stoops is that his offense doesn’t look like what we need here. 9 years in, it’s safe to say to that he wants an old school ground and pound. That’s won’t work.

I know the board is fascinated with Mario and Lane but Mark Stoops needs to be our next coach. Lane couldn’t win at USC so why do you think he would win here??? As for Mario… I tried to tell people that Oregon was trash. They don’t have a qb and their DC has been trash wherever he’s gone.
If Mario can find his next Geoff Collins or Todd Orlando for the DC then I won’t complain. However, Stoops took Kentucky and made them respectable. Do y’all understand how hard that is!?!? He develops players and will get in their *** when it’s needed. Let’s hope Mario stays at Oregon and Lane goes to Florida 🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿 Stoops welcome to the U!!!
Stoops has always been on my list, but I think it is a more apples to apples comparison to use Ole Miss vs. UK. You remark about how hard it is to make Kentucky respectable, but I would argue Miss. is just as hard. Also, outside of UGA, this is a down year for the SEC East.

Also, there is debate as to what Stoops buyout is at UK. They really love him there and they have a lot of money from the basketball program.

eh

Oregon made it to a National Championship under Kelly...Ole Miss was pretty solid under Hugh Freeze. While those particular teams Kiffin and Mario took over weren't the greatest those programs were way ahead of Kentucky. No recruit had ever seen a decent Kentucky team before Stoops

Advertisement
Lane ultimately being successful at USC nearly a decade ago is not a valid reason to pursue him. He's grown and improved tremendously as a coach since then and I myself still like Stoops as a candidate. I'd have in my wish list order: Kiffin, Mario, Aranda, Stoops, Napier.

Lane ultimately being successful at USC nearly a decade ago is not a valid reason to pursue him. He's grown and improved tremendously as a coach since then and I myself still like Stoops as a candidate. I'd have in my wish list order: Kiffin, Mario, Aranda, Stoops, Napier.
That’s a solid list. We have the same top-4, in a different order: Lane, Stoops, Mario, Aranda and then my 5th is Matt Campbell. Napier would prob be my 6th though but if we have to go to our #6 choice then we’re in trouble.

That’s a solid list. We have the same top-4, in a different order: Lane, Stoops, Mario, Aranda and then my 5th is Matt Campbell. Napier would prob be my 6th though but if we have to go to our #6 choice then we’re in trouble.
I like Campbell too. I just thought him and a guy such as Fickell has zero interest in us so I left them off my list. All of these guys would be tremendous upgrades to Manny. Hopefully we have a legit AD announced shortly after Thanksgiving.

Advertisement
Back