Hurricanes coach Mark Richt on quarterback situation: ‘Malik is the starter’

Advertisement
“Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback going into fall camp,” Richt said. “And right this minute, I’m not sure anybody is going to be able to unseat him, at least going into Game 1. I really have an open mind, we’ll give reps and we’ll compete."

Some of you think the aforementioned quotes are somehow ringing endorsements for Rosier? I don't think Richt could have given a more uncertain, vague explanation of the QB battle if he tried. Let's break it down:

1. "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback" Let's start here. "Without a doubt". Here, Richt begins with an emphatic certainty about Rosier's status. Quite frankly, if this is all Richt said, we would all know for sure what he meant. But he didn't end there. No, he hedged multiple times with just two more sentences.

2. "...going into fall camp." WOAH. Talk about rendering the "without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback" practically meaningless. So Rosier is now the No. 1 quarterback going into fall camp. Meaning the practices from several months ago didn't change anything to absolutely no one's surprise. Why did Richt feel the need to qualify his assertion that "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback"? Why not just leave it at that?

3. "And right this minute..." More hedging, more rendering the initial "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback" less meaningful. Right this minute? OK, what about in a month from now? What about for, say, the LSU game and beyond?

4. "I'm not sure..." Here, we went from "without a doubt" to now "I'm not sure". Got it.

5. "...at least going into Game 1". Richt further hedges against his initial confidence by qualifying his opinion for only going into Game 1.

6. "I really have an open mind, we'll give reps and we'll compete." Was this said by the same guy who began with "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback"?

At the very least, Richt's comments should be viewed as inconsistent. At face value, he gave a ringing endorsement for Rosier that he summarily reversed in all of his next two sentences. But by all means, misconstrue his quote to mean Rosier is the guy.

“Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback going into fall camp,” Richt said. “And right this minute, I’m not sure anybody is going to be able to unseat him, at least going into Game 1. I really have an open mind, we’ll give reps and we’ll compete."

Some of you think the aforementioned quotes are somehow ringing endorsements for Rosier? I don't think Richt could have given a more uncertain, vague explanation of the QB battle if he tried. Let's break it down:

1. "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback" Let's start here. "Without a doubt". Here, Richt begins with an emphatic certainty about Rosier's status. Quite frankly, if this is all Richt said, we would all know for sure what he meant. But he didn't end there. No, he hedged multiple times with just two more sentences.

2. "...going into fall camp." WOAH. Talk about rendering the "without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback" practically meaningless. So Rosier is now the No. 1 quarterback going into fall camp. Meaning the practices from several months ago didn't change anything to absolutely no one's surprise. Why did Richt feel the need to qualify his assertion that "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback"? Why not just leave it at that?

3. "And right this minute..." More hedging, more rendering the initial "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback" less meaningful. Right this minute? OK, what about in a month from now? What about for, say, the LSU game and beyond?

4. "I'm not sure..." Here, we went from "without a doubt" to now "I'm not sure". Got it.

5. "...at least going into Game 1". Richt further hedges against his initial confidence by qualifying his opinion for only going into Game 1.

6. "I really have an open mind, we'll give reps and we'll compete." Was this said by the same guy who began with "Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback"?

At the very least, Richt's comments should be viewed as inconsistent. At face value, he gave a ringing endorsement for Rosier that he summarily reversed in all of his next two sentences. But by all means, misconstrue his quote to mean Rosier is the guy.

You guys read way too much into interviews.

Advertisement
All I’m going to say is that we should’ve pounced all over Will Grier but noooooo! Nobody wants to listen to what Z has to say...

tumblr_m2ieztzUW51r2l739o1_400.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
LSU is the perfect test. If Malik can put up points against an SEC defense, I have no issues calling him QB1. By the same token, if he fails miserably, we have 2 tune-ups afterwards to see if Kosi and JW have anything without having to risk a loss. Always best to lose week 1.

I hate when ppl say “SEC Defense” for as average as Malik has been unless he goes full whisky-Lik he would light up 75% of the SEC Defense via his arm and his legs. If he can make plays vs a very good LSU defense I will be impressed.

So, what you were looking for from Coach Richt concerning Rosier or any other player goes something like this...Rosier is the number one quarterback and nothing that happens during fall camp or at any point in the season changes that position!! NOTHING!!! Furthermore, if Rosier breaks his throwing arm we will still put him out there as our starter!! If arrested, tried and convicted for selling opioids to 10-year-old special need kids he will be expected to share his drugs with his teammates, and yes, he will continue to be the starter, along with being promoted to team captain!! The one and only reason I will bench Rosier is if he says that some CIS posters are completely full of ****.

There...are you happy now?

Advertisement
So, what you were looking for from Coach Richt concerning Rosier or any other player goes something like this...Rosier is the number one quarterback and nothing that happens during fall camp or at any point in the season changes that position!! NOTHING!!! Furthermore, if Rosier breaks his throwing arm we will still put him out there as our starter!! If arrested, tried and convicted for selling opioids to 10-year-old special need kids he will be expected to share his drugs with his teammates, and yes, he will continue to be the starter, along with being promoted to team captain!! The one and only reason I will bench Rosier is if he says that some CIS posters are completely full of ****.

I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with him.

He’s basically saying Richt is engaging in coachspeak, saying Rosier is #1, the starter, going into fall camp, but that Richt is also leaving the door open by hedging his statements, so it was not as definitive as some posters took it.

I’m trying to understand your response, honestly.

I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with him.

He’s basically saying Richt is engaging in coachspeak, saying Rosier is #1, the starter, going into fall camp, but that Richt is also leaving the door open by hedging his statements, so it was not as definitive as some posters took it.

I’m trying to understand your response, honestly.

My point was that Coach Richt is not going to offer guarantees to any players, thus the door is open for change concerning every player on the roster. My takeaway from the posters comments is he's not a Rosier fan and by using literary gymnastics when dissecting Coach Richt's comments he has conveniently arrived at a conclusion that supports his thesis that Rosier really doesn't have Richt's confidence. If that were the case then Richt would shoot straight with Rosier and the team by telling them there is no clear QB leader at this time and he will not name a starter until shortly before the LSU game.

You missed my point entirely, which is that we have an 8 page thread going here about some wishy-washy, noncommittal coachspeak that means absolutely nothing and yet some posters are misconstruing it to fit their narrative.

You see, without a doubt there are a lot of porsters here who suck at reading comprehension. And right this minute, I'm not sure any of them are ever going to learn to comprehend simple English, at least going into Game 1. I really have an open mind, we'll keep posting and let them reply.

You missed my point entirely, which is that we have an 8 page thread going here about some wishy-washy, noncommittal coachspeak that means absolutely nothing and yet some posters are misconstruing it to fit their narrative.

You see, without a doubt there are a lot of porsters here who suck at reading comprehension. And right this minute, I'm not sure any of them are ever going to learn to comprehend simple English, at least going into Game 1. I really have an open mind, we'll keep posting and let them reply.
I think the point is that to some, there’s nothing Richt could say that would ever be taken as a definitive statement regarding the QB situation. No coach is ever going to rule out, before camp even begins, opportunities for other players to make an impact.

But short of that, stating that nobody else even has a chance, he was about as clear as he could be.

Rosier is the starter.

The gap between QB1 and QB2 widened rather than narrowed since spring.

And he stated where the other guys need to improve in order to become a legitimate factor during fall camp.

Advertisement
Back