Hurricanes coach Mark Richt on quarterback situation: ‘Malik is the starter’

Loose Cannon

Junior
Courtesy of Anthony Chiang - Palm Beach Post

“Malik is without a doubt the No. 1 quarterback going into fall camp,” Richt said. “And right this minute, I’m not sure anybody is going to be able to unseat him, at least going into Game 1. I really have an open mind, we’ll give reps and we’ll compete. But here’s the thing about Malik, and I’ll say this too even from my standpoint, when time passes and the emotion of the season ends, you go back and review game film – coach’s copy, TV copy – and just kind of watch what happened last year. He made a lot of big plays in some really big moments. Without it, we’re not going to win.

He made some great plays with his wheels, he ran the ball well and did some things that if he doesn’t do the things that he did, we probably don’t win 10 games last year. Then at the end, we all know we had our struggles as a team. But the quarterback always takes the brunt of it. But I do know this as I went back to study everything, the bigger the pocket was, the better he threw the ball. Can you imagine that? The more space he had, the more time he had, guess what he threw it a lot better. So we got to get better at blocking, we got to get better at pass protecting as running backs, we got to get better at route running, and I got to do a better job of getting us in the right looks at the right time. But Malik right now is ahead.”

House.jpg

Advertisement
Interesting... still, he hasn’t flat out dropped N’Kosi or Jarren from being options if needed. I think we go into the LSU game with Rosier, and then see how he performs. If he’s better than last season as far as his reads go and pocket awareness, plus throwing more accurately....then I think he will remain the starter. If he gets off the blocks like his performances the last 3-4 games of last season...I think Richt makes a change

"if he doesn’t do the things that he did, we probably don’t win 10 games last year" - Right, especially when compared to Kaaya.

But can Rosier win more than 10 this year? Win the ACC Championship and entry into playoff? I am not so sure. It is disappointing that Perry did not show more in the spring and says a lot about his future as a starter.

Have they even started practicing again? Of course Malik is still the starter, I'd be concerned if Richt named one of the other guys the starter before they even practiced.

Advertisement
Have they even started practicing again? Of course Malik is still the starter, I'd be concerned if Richt named one of the other guys the starter before they even practiced.
Sounds like quite a lot has changed over the summer, to me. We went form an open competition "to the bitter end," I believe was Richt's words to conclude fall camp; to, "I don’t anticipate anybody knocking him out of the box right now," and basically saying were going to give the young guys some reps to see what they can do, but we're shutting it down after scrimmage 2 to focus on LSU prep.

The part about the film review was most interesting to me. I wonder what it was he saw?

LSU is the perfect test. If Malik can put up points against an SEC defense, I have no issues calling him QB1. By the same token, if he fails miserably, we have 2 tune-ups afterwards to see if Kosi and JW have anything without having to risk a loss. Always best to lose week 1.
Agree

Malik had a good season despite his accuracy issues, not matter what people say about him. If he gets more accurate with his mobility and our weapons on O, he may have a better season. I was hoping Jarran would take the job, but it's not his time yet it seems.

Advertisement
i want a new starter... but breeding confidence and improving malik sounds like better plan given our shot this year in a down ACC

It was silly to think anyone was going to unseat Rosier before the year started.

Looking at the schedule, there are 4/5 good opportunities for blow outs to get Perry and Jarren reps.

It will play itself out.not even August yet people are acting like the sky is falling.we here all know what to expect from Malik since he is the only one with game day experience.the other three is just hope that they can get it done.I agree that sometime during the season if Malik isn't getting it done there will be a change just hope you fans have enough patience to allow whoever it is to go through that growing phase that only can come from playing and not jump off the deep end when they happen to make a mistake.

Advertisement
I just don't have the warm & fuzzies right now. Call it cokerized, shannontized or the goldenization of my soul.. but something just doesn't sit well with me & this staff. Richt is a G.. but is he elite? Rustle status: Moderate

/this has little (or nothing) to do with this thread

Here’s my thing with malik yeah he was inaccurate at times, his number 1 receiver who has star potential was basically injured the entire year, star running back injured in game 4 and he still was pretty productive regardless of those hindrances on the offense.

We all know what we didn’t like about malik last year

But I like The guts he showed vs FSU in the second half particularly late in the game leading 2 4th quarter touchdowns overcoming a 7 loss streak against our main rivals.

He doesn’t get credit for it but rosier delivered some big time throws in the ga tech game late too in the 4th. Yeah langham catch was luck but bottom line he led the offense down the field 2 times in the 4th there too.

Va tech game yes he was off with 3 ints but still 280 yards overall including 85 yards rushing 3tds.

In most games shown the ability to move around and pick up yardage which is what we haven’t seen in a long time for a UM qb.

The hope is that he can improve on his first year starting, maybe he has already considering how richt is talking about him now. We had a solid season last year that faltered no doubt but I think Rosier can improve on quite a few things such as ball placement and overall accuracy mainly.

Advertisement
Tbh you did call this prior to spring ... I honestly think with what should be an improved and more experienced o line, healthy weapons there’s no reason he can’t be better. I’m encouraged what I saw with the young qbs at the spring game (though didn’t see Weldon)

but to open LSU I’m going with rosier due to experience. Honestly been rewatching some games because it’s offseason when rosier is on he is really lights out sometimes but then ofcourse the offense goes to a dead stand still ... I’ll be much happier with something in the middle with him

Something I believe many forget is last year was Rosier's first as a starter. Yea, he's a 5th year senior THIS year, however he was the forgotten man in Richt's first year. Year 2 Rosier is the starter but basically has only one year of experience as QB1 after battling the other QB's on the roster for the top spot. Hopefully, year 3 of Richt's tenure and Rosier's 2nd year as QB1 will help make improvements.

Here’s my thing with malik yeah he was inaccurate at times, his number 1 receiver who has star potential was basically injured the entire year, star running back injured in game 4 and he still was pretty productive regardless of those hindrances on the offense.

We all know what we didn’t like about malik last year

But I like The guts he showed vs FSU in the second half particularly late in the game leading 2 4th quarter touchdowns overcoming a 7 loss streak against our main rivals.

He doesn’t get credit for it but rosier delivered some big time throws in the ga tech game late too in the 4th. Yeah langham catch was luck but bottom line he led the offense down the field 2 times in the 4th there too.

Va tech game yes he was off with 3 ints but still 280 yards overall including 85 yards rushing 3tds.

In most games shown the ability to move around and pick up yardage which is what we haven’t seen in a long time for a UM qb.

The hope is that he can improve on his first year starting, maybe he has already considering how richt is talking about him now. We had a solid season last year that faltered no doubt but I think Rosier can improve on quite a few things such as ball placement and overall accuracy mainly.

One of the biggest plays of that game, maybe just as important as the throw to Langham. FFWD to 7:38. Last drive of the half. Trailing 14-6. Defense finally beginning to get their feet under them and force a few GaTech punts. Need a score bad. 2nd and 5. Snap goes over Rosier's head. Does he fall on it for a 15 yard loss? Nah Eff that. Dog scoops it up and rolls out to his right to avoid the defense. Throws a 10 yard strike to Dionte Mullins who drags a toe for a 1st down in bounds.

If Malik falls on that ball and takes a sack, the drive is over, and we go into the locker room down 8. Picking that ball up and having the wherewithal to find Mullins AND deliver a ball that either he catches or goes out of bounds. If Mullins doesn't come down with it, well it's just 3rd and 5 and we get another chance. But when we converted that 1st down, the offense finally came to life.

That was the turning point in the game. We end up scoring our 1st TD of the game and go to the half with momentum and down by only a single point.

One of the biggest plays of that game, maybe just as important as the throw to Langham. FFWD to 7:38. Last drive of the half. Trailing 14-6. Defense finally beginning to get their feet under them and force a few GaTech punts. Need a score bad. 2nd and 5. Snap goes over Rosier's head. Does he fall on it for a 15 yard loss? Nah Eff that. Dog scoops it up and rolls out to his right to avoid the defense. Throws a 10 yard strike to Dionte Mullins who drags a toe for a 1st down in bounds.

If Malik falls on that ball and takes a sack, the drive is over, and we go into the locker room down 8. Picking that ball up and having the wherewithal to find Mullins AND deliver a ball that either he catches or goes out of bounds. If Mullins doesn't come down with it, well it's just 3rd and 5 and we get another chance. But when we converted that 1st down, the offense finally came to life.

That was the turning point in the game. We end up scoring our 1st TD of the game and go to the half with momentum and down by only a single point.

Man, Hard Rock really started coming alive that game.
Laughable side note @11:51: GT's kicker makes the FG on his first college kick.

Advertisement
Back