Hurricanes coach Mark Richt on quarterback situation: ‘Malik is the starter’

It does seem like Richt could come out tomorrow and hold a press conference and say Rosier is our #1 QB by a large margin and people around here would say "He is just saying that so that Kosi and Williams work harder."

Advertisement
You missed my point entirely, which is that we have an 8 page thread going here about some wishy-washy, noncommittal coachspeak that means absolutely nothing and yet some posters are misconstruing it to fit their narrative.

You see, without a doubt there are a lot of porsters here who suck at reading comprehension. And right this minute, I'm not sure any of them are ever going to learn to comprehend simple English, at least going into Game 1. I really have an open mind, we'll keep posting and let them reply.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I believe your reading comprehension skills are suffering as Coach Richt could not be any more clear as to how he stands concerning Rosier. Your autopsy of Richt's comments, while entertaining, is...wait for it...fake news!

Not trying to be argumentative, but I believe your reading comprehension skills are suffering as Coach Richt could not be any more clear as to how he stands concerning Rosier. Your autopsy of Richt's comments, while entertaining, is...wait for it...fake news!
Fake news? Richt backtracked on Rosier being the starter faster than Trump backtracked on whether Russia meddled in the election. I wouldn't be surprised if Richt came out tomorrow and said he meant Rosier would be the starter for Game 1, followed by a contradictory 3am tweet in all caps, Trump style.

But I digress. Rosier is the guy. You know, until he isn't.

LSU is the perfect test. If Malik can put up points against an SEC defense, I have no issues calling him QB1. By the same token, if he fails miserably, we have 2 tune-ups afterwards to see if Kosi and JW have anything without having to risk a loss. Always best to lose week 1.
Fck that. I been waiting 13 years for payback. We need to stomp these hicks into the ground. No mercy.

You guys should leave politics off this board. The country's divided enough as it is.

Our discussions, arguments, & disagreements - which we have enough as it is - should pertain to football.

Advertisement
My bad. I fell for the "fake news" bait from Earnest T. Bass and replied in the same vein. Don't plan on doing it again.

Give it a rest! Fake news is now in the worldwide vernacular and was not an attempt by me to enter politics on this site. Yet, coming from you where there's never a statement you can't twist into some screwball meaning to support your narrative I am not surprised by your claims. I will refrain from any weather comments because this will launch you into a global warming lecture while claiming I baited you into doing it.

anybody who thinks he shouldn't start game 1 against LSU is not very bright. Doesn't mean he is the starter by the bowl game though. I hope he is as that means we have been a top 5 team all season but I think it is 50/50 we lose a game due to him and he is unseated . But of coarse he should start against LSU.

i dont think i have read one post saying rosier should not start game 1 canecat. He absolutely should start v LSU he has earned that, but imo if they rattle him to the point he cant hit a wide open receiver, which is easy to do, we may see Williams/Kosi. It is just hard for me to swallow that Rosier is the best QB on this team, he is just not that good, which will be proven in the draft. I used to argue the same point on here about Kaaya, i never thought he was that good either, and i was right. We used to have QB"s on this team that were pretty much guaranteed to go play pro ball, i figured with Richt we would get back to that, if you remember Richt actually told Malik he would never start for him, why ? he aint that good. Then Richt quickly found out he didnt have much choice, there were no ballers on this team, you could tell last year his play calling was handcuffed by rosier's lack of ability. Now we actually have some backups worth a damm, and i think we will see them if things dont go well game 1

Advertisement
i dont think i have read one post saying rosier should not start game 1 canecat. He absolutely should start v LSU he has earned that, but imo if they rattle him to the point he cant hit a wide open receiver, which is easy to do, we may see Williams/Kosi. It is just hard for me to swallow that Rosier is the best QB on this team, he is just not that good, which will be proven in the draft. I used to argue the same point on here about Kaaya, i never thought he was that good either, and i was right. We used to have QB"s on this team that were pretty much guaranteed to go play pro ball, i figured with Richt we would get back to that, if you remember Richt actually told Malik he would never start for him, why ? he aint that good. Then Richt quickly found out he didnt have much choice, there were no ballers on this team, you could tell last year his play calling was handcuffed by rosier's lack of ability. Now we actually have some backups worth a damm, and i think we will see them if things dont go well game 1

I think how he play in Fall practice will determine how long a leash he will get with LSU ..... if he is bumbling around, hit or miss, he will get yanked pretty quick.

To my knowledge Coach, Richt never stated that Rosier would not start for him due to limited physical capabilities or potential, but said he would never play for him due to his lack of dedication to improve his play. In other words, working hard to become the player he could be. Clearly, he is now meeting Coach, Richt's expectations in that realm, and other areas as well.

Every time I read the Rosier critiques, which are almost always negative and over the top I shake my head knowing the lead has once again been buried as the coming season's offensive output will be determined by the offensive line play. If the offensive line play does not dramatically improve, thus delivering a significant running game and better pass blocking then you could have Tom Brady as the signal caller and the results will be subpar. Better offensive line play...a vastly improved Malik Rosier!

Last edited:
Malik deserves a shot to keep his spot, & Richt will probably give it to him - "at least vs LSU", in his own words.
And he got it. Jarren & Kosi will battle to at least share reps with Malik, if not take the job outright before FSU. Both will play, & the results on the field will speak for themselves. Dugans has his guys on point. They're explosive & catching everything. Jordan showed he can get open. There's no way Jarren, Kosi, or both won't light it up with this group over the next few games & leave no doubt about who should be behind center. The competition begins vs Savannah.

We will be better for this in the long run, & will be a **** of a team to deal with by year's end.

Advertisement
And he got it. Jarren & Kosi will battle to at least share reps with Malik, if not take the job outright before FSU. Both will play, & the results on the field will speak for themselves. Dugans has his guys on point. They're explosive & catching everything. Jordan showed he can get open. There's no way Jarren, Kosi, or both won't light it up with this group over the next few games & leave no doubt about who should be behind center. The competition begins vs Savannah.

We will be better for this in the long run, & will be a **** of a team to deal with by year's end.

That post put a little shine on a rainy, sh*t weekend. I am excited to see the young guys the rest of this month. No more hiding.

Advertisement
This isn't 1985 when a championship caliber QB would be developed for 3 years before taking over. We are in an era where freshmen and certainly RS freshmen QBs, are dominating at the top level of CFB.

None of you would have believed when Richt was hired that going into year 3 of his tenure Rosier would be the starting QB. It's either a recruiting problem or a development problem. But if the goal is to win championships, it's a big problem because we obviously aren't winning a championship with Rosier.

How is that obvious? He broke the school record for TD's last year with Braxton Berrios as his leading receiver. Can't even begin to imagine what will happen this year with Richards being healthy, Thomas actually knowing what he's doing out there, the young receivers, dynamic TE's and explosive RB's. With marginal improvement of the OL, this offense should take off and Rosier should break his own record again this year. How tf you guys are so negative is beyond me.

LOL

Richt proves he is here on vacation and doesn't care about winning if he doesn't give another QB the start this weekend.

Advertisement
Back