Hurricanes coach Mark Richt on quarterback situation: ‘Malik is the starter’

Upon hearing this news:
giphy.gif

Advertisement
that LSU game is soooo huge, I can't stress that enough. Just get outta there with a win in Dallas and then the schedule sets up where you can assume - knock on wood - that there will be blowouts where somebody(N'kosi or Williams) can get some quality game reps and really become a guy who is ready to come out of the bullpen by the time UM gets to the heart of ACC play

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Richt stated Rosier is the starter - but he didn't say this was set in stone. He will be like 'Captain Hook' this season, IMO.

Im not a Rosier guy but in his defense, if Ahmonn Richards is healthy, I think that changes the whole complexion of this offense. And if this Oline can just run block more consistently, Miami has it's best stable of backs since around 2001 and they should be able to control down and distances to help Rosier along

But again, can a guy who completion percentage was in the low 50's(which is abysmal) suddenly be a guy who can be in the low 60's? Personally I think if we can get Malik to be 58-59% we should be overjoyed by that

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

So you're gonna have to either hit the ignore button or deal with my view until this schit show gets fixed.
Canes dynasty I’m with you. If I had my way let Perry or Williams take this team to next level. I guess CMR thinking is if Rosier can get us a win in Dallas it is his team to lead, if not then bring on Perry or Williams to lead with lesser teams to get experience for the rest of the season.

Rosier is not the answer, or is he a very good QB all he has is live game experience. He proved that last year, all those great wins happened because the team picked him up. He will throw bad balls and miss wide open receivers. He makes poor decisions during the game.

I live and die by my Canes and have been a fan before most of you were born. My expectations are National Championships anything less is a bad season. I will be with them this season regardless. Go Canes!

Canes dynasty I’m with you. If I had my way let Perry or Williams take this team to next level. I guess CMR thinking is if Rosier can get us a win in Dallas it is his team to lead, if not then bring on Perry or Williams to lead with lesser teams to get experience for the rest of the season.

Rosier is not the answer, or is he a very good QB all he has is live game experience. He proved that last year, all those great wins happened because the team picked him up. He will throw bad balls and miss wide open receivers. He makes poor decisions during the game.

I live and die by my Canes and have been a fan before most of you were born. My expectations are National Championships anything less is a bad season. I will be with them this season regardless. Go Canes!
We got 3 answers at QB.

1. Malik Rosier
2. N'Kosi Perry
3. Cade Weldon
4. Jarren Williams

If not Malik then who? We still getting excited about Jarrens accurate non contact scrimmage against 2nd and 3rd teamers? SMH. Jarren isn't even ready to outplay N'kosi or Cade yet much less start for this team.

"...all those great wins happened because the team picked him up" WTF?

You really do not like Malik do you?

Nobody knows Malik's ceiling until they see it. If he played as badly as he did and still broke UM's td record we should let CMR see if he can improve him. No good team wants to rely on a freshman QB.

Throwing for 43% against the worst FSU team in 3 decades, 50% and 3 pics against v.tech and a completely invisible meaningless performance against ND is what led us to those victories?

Y’all need to start callin these mofos out who say dumb **** like this. You clearly have shown yourself to not be a Cane fan with this dumb a$$ post. You had us going for a minute there though! Nice try!

Advertisement
I don't think there's a Cane QB that has been ripped apart more then Malik , what's sad he knows a good portion of Cane fans don't care for him much , I don't care who you are it does ride and sits on the persons being somewhere no matter what Malik says it does bother him as it would anyone who's human.

GOCANES

that LSU game is soooo huge, I can't stress that enough. Just get outta there with a win in Dallas and then the schedule sets up where you can assume - knock on wood - that there will be blowouts where somebody(N'kosi or Williams) can get some quality game reps and really become a guy who is ready to come out of the bullpen by the time UM gets to the heart of ACC play

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Richt stated Rosier is the starter - but he didn't say this was set in stone. He will be like 'Captain Hook' this season, IMO.

Im not a Rosier guy but in his defense, if Ahmonn Richards is healthy, I think that changes the whole complexion of this offense. And if this Oline can just run block more consistently, Miami has it's best stable of backs since around 2001 and they should be able to control down and distances to help Rosier along

But again, can a guy who completion percentage was in the low 50's(which is abysmal) suddenly be a guy who can be in the low 60's? Personally I think if we can get Malik to be 58-59% we should be overjoyed by that

Captain Hook my a$$. Richt came out and said his biggest regret was taking Rosier out of the Pitt game! And you thibk he’s gonna pull him in favor of a bunch of freshman? Not gonna happen. Rosier is the starter and Richt is sticking with him come **** or high water this season.

I think that had more to do with a bend but don't break D and a lot of timely turnovers. Plus when you consider that FSU was a mess and V.tech was average at best... we lucked out with a fairly easy schedule.

In saying all of that, i don't deny he is probably our best option as crazy as it sounds. Seems like N'kosi still doesn't have it between the ears and its really hard to go with a true freshman. Even though Jarren appears like he could be MIami's first truly elite QB since before any of these kids were born.
I think if you listen to what the coach said, after spending all off season pouring over film, he was pretty **** clear: we won 10 games last season because of the play of Malik Rosier.

This isn't 1985 when a championship caliber QB would be developed for 3 years before taking over. We are in an era where freshmen and certainly RS freshmen QBs, are dominating at the top level of CFB.

None of you would have believed when Richt was hired that going into year 3 of his tenure Rosier would be the starting QB. It's either a recruiting problem or a development problem. But if the goal is to win championships, it's a big problem because we obviously aren't winning a championship with Rosier.

Advertisement
I think if you listen to what the coach said, after spending all off season pouring over film, he was pretty **** clear: we won 10 games last season because of the play of Malik Rosier.

Be careful this offends many here , they will cheer Malik till first mistake and turn on him with grinding teeth.

GOCANES

I think that had more to do with a bend but don't break D and a lot of timely turnovers. Plus when you consider that FSU was a mess and V.tech was average at best... we lucked out with a fairly easy schedule.

In saying all of that, i don't deny he is probably our best option as crazy as it sounds. Seems like N'kosi still doesn't have it between the ears and its really hard to go with a true freshman. Even though Jarren appears like he could be MIami's first truly elite QB since before any of these kids were born.
i agree on jarren.

Advertisement
He was also the reason we collapsed and were in those close games against FSU, GT and Syracuse. But okay.

Yeah I'm sure he was. I'm glad we're complaining about the margin of victory instead of figuring out how to win the Corstal for the first time in program history. I mean he was surrounded by backups and mid-level draft picks and we couldn't beat Clemson? Outrageous.

This isn't 1985 when a championship caliber QB would be developed for 3 years before taking over. We are in an era where freshmen and certainly RS freshmen QBs, are dominating at the top level of CFB.

None of you would have believed when Richt was hired that going into year 3 of his tenure Rosier would be the starting QB. It's either a recruiting problem or a development problem. But if the goal is to win championships, it's a big problem because we obviously aren't winning a championship with Rosier.
In that case, I look forward to not hearing from you until 2019...since there's no need to even watch this season.

It's either a recruiting problem or a development problem.

Unless, you know, it's not. We've seen nothing to suggest that the QBs Richt has recruited are not quality players. Both Jarren and Kosi were very high on a lot of boards, and have huge amounts of potential. We've been a **** show for 15 straight years. Richt walks in the door and lands two top level QBs. He didn't even get to recruit for the full 2016 cycle, but when he got here, Kosi was the top rated QB recruit still in play, and Richt got him to ink the paper.

Unfortunately Kosi didn't get here though until about this time last season, barely in time for fall camp, and Jarren just got here in the spring.

This is not a Kelly Brooks taking over for a departing DeShaun Watson. Jalen Hurts took over an already established dynasty after the departure of Jake Coker.

These freshmen you speak of aren't walking in and taking the jobs of Rs.Jrs. and Sr. They're just the next man up in an established dynasty program that already has a dominant defense and ready-made offense where they're not requiring the QB to do anything special.

By all reports, Malik Rosier has put in the work to prove his doubters, Mark Richt included, wrong. CMR and company have developed a guy who probably never would have started in any other P5 program into the Miami single season record holder in TD's and yards in just one season.

I'm seeing nothing wrong with QB development and recruiting. All evidence so far leads me to believe that Rosier has pushed himself to be better than he was last season, a season that had us #2 in the CFP at one point, and also that the young guys are learning how to be a QB, a leader, and an adult both on and off the field, so when they're moment does arrive, we won't fall off. We'll be better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Interesting... still, he hasn’t flat out dropped N’Kosi or Jarren from being options if needed. I think we go into the LSU game with Rosier, and then see how he performs. If he’s better than last season as far as his reads go and pocket awareness, plus throwing more accurately....then I think he will remain the starter. If he gets off the blocks like his performances the last 3-4 games of last season...I think Richt makes a change
Not even the last 3-4 games. He struggled from day one. He ran out of luck

Kaaya leaving early set us up for possibly 2 years of Rosier. Had Kaaya stayed Rosier doesn't start, and we never put any pressure on Perry or feel disappointed he didn't beat out Rosier. Had Kaaya stayed we would be looking at a different QB competition where Rosier, the least talented QB, has no real game time experience advantage over the young guys.

I agree. Year 3 Richt should have a QB in place. Quite frankly, I think there's a reason they really wanted Williams to enroll early. They know the situation better than any of us

How is that obvious? He broke the school record for TD's last year with Braxton Berrios as his leading receiver. Can't even begin to imagine what will happen this year with Richards being healthy, Thomas actually knowing what he's doing out there, the young receivers, dynamic TE's and explosive RB's. With marginal improvement of the OL, this offense should take off and Rosier should break his own record again this year. How tf you guys are so negative is beyond me.

Not even the last 3-4 games. He struggled from day one. He ran out of luck

Kaaya leaving early set us up for possibly 2 years of Rosier. Had Kaaya stayed Rosier doesn't start, and we never put any pressure on Perry or feel disappointed he didn't beat out Rosier. Had Kaaya stayed we would be looking at a different QB competition where Rosier, the least talented QB, has no real game time experience advantage over the young guys.

I agree. Year 3 Richt should have a QB in place. Quite frankly, I think there's a reason they really wanted Williams to enroll early. They know the situation better than any of us
Don't always agree with you on the QB issue, but can't fault your logic here.

I also think Richt fully expected Allison to win the QB comp last season.

Except for the "struggled from day 1" part. There were times when he struggled, but times when he flashed. Not only at the end of games. He started 9/9 at Duke, and was 5/5 on the first possession against Syracuse until Richards dropped a ball in the end zone.

Don't always agree with you on the QB issue, but can't fault your logic here.

I also think Richt fully expected Allison to win the QB comp last season.

Except for the "struggled from day 1" part. There were times when he struggled, but times when he flashed. Not only at the end of games. He started 9/9 at Duke, and was 5/5 on the first possession against Syracuse until Richards dropped a ball in the end zone.
Syracuse would have been his biggest game without the drops. I don't use the Syracuse game as an example, because it was the one game where he, for the first half, hit every target and made good decisions. I kept saying, "He finally looks good and someone else has to mess up!"

Still, he looked extremely limited all season. Go back and watch the first 2-3 games and tell me he didn't look very, very limited in the amount of plays he could execute. It started with Bethune.

It's just a consistency thing, for me. We need more consistent QB play so our O can develop an identity. IF Rosier can be more consistent, we'll be fine, I think. However, I just wonder, what is consistently good for Rosier? What did he do last season really well? What did he do that one would want to be done consistently? Complete easy passes? Make better decisions? Hit targets in stride so they have a chance to make a bigger play? Better downfield passing? There are so many issues he needs to improve that I believe to be consistent, he needs to improve too darn much.

Here's hoping. I don't dislike him, I just see a lot of holes in his game. He needs too many stars to align too often to get Ws. Here's hoping he takes a giant step forward.

Advertisement
Back