How did you become a Canes fan?

September 5th, 1981. I found the Miami / UF game on a small black and white TV. The only Miami team I knew about was the Dolphins, so that's who I thought was playing, until I saw that U on the side of the helmet. I quickly figured out this was the University of Miami Hurricanes. Been a fan since.

That was also the game where Richt came in for an injured Jim Kelly and did just enough for us to win the game.

Similar story, earlier timeline. Moved from L.I. N.Y. to Southwest Florida in 1979 at the age of 14. Dad was a big NFL fan (Jets) and so was I. I didn't like what I thought was the archaic nature of college football at the time, i.e. helmets with no design, three yards and a cloud of dust, PSU vs. Alabama. Bored on a Saturday that September, I turned on the TV and flipped on WTVJ (I believe they were the ones carrying 'Canes games back then) and I saw a team in orange and green tha consistently PASSED the ball at a rate similar to the pros and with a []_[] on the helmet, a design they had to tried to change that year according to the Miami Herald (I delivered the paper). I was hooked from then on and moving to Orlando (and more Semanhole and Gayturd fans) in 1980 did not lessen my enthusiasism. Son is an alum, as is my Daughter in Law.

Speaking of that 1981 game, check out this video from 13:59

[video=youtube;kozyKa34Jek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozyKa34Jek[/video]

Poor Bob Mayer, he was a Gayt whose dinner was ruined and Chris Myers just doesn't look the same today without the feathered hair! Allso check out the "UM" graphic made by splitting and inverting the []_[]

Advertisement
Grew up in Dallas, was a huge Jessie Armstead fan growing up(He was a friend of my aunt, who went to Carter High with him), and stuck it out through the rough part of the probation years. Was in the crowd at the 91 Cotton Bowl, Thrill Hill did his gun thing on our side of the field. In fact, I didn't even know what he had done until we got home, because our seats were right over that tunnel. Ended up attending The U later on, and liked it so much, I stayed for an MBA and JD.

Last edited:
Im from NorCal. I watched some CFB, but was mainly a Raiders fan. The Tuck rule game and the 02 national championship are the earliest games I remember watching. Naturally this led to me seeing Miami dominate in the NFL and guys like Ray Lewis, Edge, ST, Reed, Buchanon, Dre were some of my favorites to watch. So Miami was always my favorite school along with USC. And when it came to applying to schools my grades weren't good enough to get in either but I still applied to both. Somehow I got into Miami. I didn't get into USC otherwise I would have gone there. Pretty happy with the result. Only way it could have been better is if it was cheaper.

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Born in New York, but moved to Miami Shores as a kid. Coming from New York, NFL was always king for me so I became a huge Phins fan. Got introduced to the Canes in middle school (99-00) by a friend who's family were huge canes fans. I've been hooked ever since.

Side note - Macho I love that Flanigans man. I went to Ransom and thats one of the spots we'd hit after school. I'm back in New York now, but my sister sent me a pic of Joe's Meal Deal the other day. I've never been so jealous.

That Flanigans is nuts. My pops is retired now (from the Town of Davie) and he actually works a security detail at that Flanigans 3 to 4 times a week just to stay active and make some extra cash. He tells me that the place is busy all night until 5am. (and his nights are Sunday-Wednesday)

My father's best friend (my Godfather) is Augie Bucci, the CFO of Flanigans. He says that Coral Gables store is the highest grossing store in the company. It makes like 10 million a year or something crazy like that.

One thing I definitely miss about being on the West coast of FLA now is no Flanigans. I'm trying to talk them into opening a store in Tampa/St.Pete.

Grew up in Nole country. During my kindergarten year a kid asked me if I was a Gator or a Nole. I had no clue what he was talking about. I responded with "I'm a human!" The teacher explained that the kid was talking about football and then went on to explain that the three major teams in the state were in the cities of Tallahassee, Gainesville, and Miami. My family happened to be going to Miami for our upcoming summer vacation in which I had been looking forward to it all year. Therefore, I responded with, "I'm a Miami fan!" That was 30 years ago and I have been a Cane ever since!

Advertisement
Born in Malmö, the third largest city in Sweden, started playing football when i was twelve in 2003 and, of course, watched the NFL because that was the only football i could see on TV..
That is until 2009 when i was fortunate enough to be able to get a channel called ESPN America. Around that time a famous documentary came out, you might have seen it, and i've been hooked ever since.
Fortunately i was able to see a game live in Miami, even if it was Ark St, and i can't wait to get back there!

I was born and raised on the Beach and both of my parents went to the U. My Uncle, who also went to the U, had season's tickets and I grew up going to games, starting in the 70's. I attended our championship games against Nebraska (83/84), Oklahoma (85) and Nebraska (2001). I went to a college with no football team and never strayed from our team.

RVA-grew up on the beach as well, starting going to the OB in the late 50's, alumni of the U.

One of my earliest childhood memories was when my grandparents gave me a Canes shirt with Sebastian on it. It was great and of course had the pipe dangling from his beak like Popeye.

Growing up in Hialeah during the 80s/early 90s made being a Canes fan the only option. They were the epitome of dominance and success.

Being from Indiana I get asked this all the time. The first memory I have was when we played Eric Crouch and Nebraska in the championship. The colors appealed to me and it's been diehard every since

Advertisement
When I was little like 7-8 years old was a huge dolphins fan was the Marino hay days 84 super bowl and I honestly thought in my little brain they got all the players from the university of Miami and since I was a dolphins fan I must follow the hurricanes been one ever since

When i was a jitt like late 80's my mama bought me 3 outfits. A UGA, i think a Georgetown hoya and a UM with Sebastian with that schnellenberger pipe...

UM was my favorite fit... The rest is history

After all that i got picture days for years from elementary school in all kinda U Swag

I was born and raised on the Beach and both of my parents went to the U. My Uncle, who also went to the U, had season's tickets and I grew up going to games, starting in the 70's. I attended our championship games against Nebraska (83/84), Oklahoma (85) and Nebraska (2001). I went to a college with no football team and never strayed from our team.

RVA-grew up on the beach as well, starting going to the OB in the late 50's, alumni of the U.

You might have known my Uncles. They graduated from Beach in the mid to late 60's and I think early 70"s. I have cousins that graduated in the 70's too. I'll look into the years. What year to you graduate from Beach?

Last edited:

You might have known my Uncles. They graduated from Beach in the mid to late 60's and I think early 70"s. I have cousins that graduated in the 70's too. I'll look into the years. What year to you graduate from Beach?

went to beach through 11th grade. One year in New York then onto to the U. I may know your uncles.

Advertisement
Went to Coral Gables for grad school. Before that, hated the Canes with a passion. The Bama bowl game and the Hail Mary made me very happy.

Ah, the folly of youth . . . .

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Born in New York, but moved to Miami Shores as a kid. Coming from New York, NFL was always king for me so I became a huge Phins fan. Got introduced to the Canes in middle school (99-00) by a friend who's family were huge canes fans. I've been hooked ever since.

Side note - Macho I love that Flanigans man. I went to Ransom and thats one of the spots we'd hit after school. I'm back in New York now, but my sister sent me a pic of Joe's Meal Deal the other day. I've never been so jealous.

I have a cousin or two that probably went to Ransom with you. As you said you grew up in the Shores, I would've guessed that you'd go to Country Day.

September 5th, 1981. I found the Miami / UF game on a small black and white TV. The only Miami team I knew about was the Dolphins, so that's who I thought was playing, until I saw that U on the side of the helmet. I quickly figured out this was the University of Miami Hurricanes. Been a fan since.

That was also the game where Richt came in for an injured Jim Kelly and did just enough for us to win the game.

Similar story, earlier timeline. Moved from L.I. N.Y. to Southwest Florida in 1979 at the age of 14. Dad was a big NFL fan (Jets) and so was I. I didn't like what I thought was the archaic nature of college football at the time, i.e. helmets with no design, three yards and a cloud of dust, PSU vs. Alabama. Bored on a Saturday that September, I turned on the TV and flipped on WTVJ (I believe they were the ones carrying 'Canes games back then) and I saw a team in orange and green tha consistently PASSED the ball at a rate similar to the pros and with a []_[] on the helmet, a design they had to tried to change that year according to the Miami Herald (I delivered the paper). I was hooked from then on and moving to Orlando (and more Semanhole and Gayturd fans) in 1980 did not lessen my enthusiasism. Son is an alum, as is my Daughter in Law.

Speaking of that 1981 game, check out this video from 13:59

[video=youtube;kozyKa34Jek]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozyKa34Jek[/video]

Poor Bob Mayer, he was a Gayt whose dinner was ruined and Chris Myers just doesn't look the same today without the feathered hair! Allso check out the "UM" graphic made by splitting and inverting the []_[]

Love that graphic. Also love Myers calling us "The UM".

RIP The Rat

Advertisement

That Flanigans is nuts. My pops is retired now (from the Town of Davie) and he actually works a security detail at that Flanigans 3 to 4 times a week just to stay active and make some extra cash. He tells me that the place is busy all night until 5am. (and his nights are Sunday-Wednesday)

My father's best friend (my Godfather) is Augie Bucci, the CFO of Flanigans. He says that Coral Gables store is the highest grossing store in the company. It makes like 10 million a year or something crazy like that.

One thing I definitely miss about being on the West coast of FLA now is no Flanigans. I'm trying to talk them into opening a store in Tampa/St.Pete.

The flanigans on bird and 27? Is your dad an imposing bald guy?

I'm in my mid 20's, grew up in Syracuse, NY. We used to go to a lot of Syracuse games. When Miami would come to town it was like a connection for me. The way they celebrated, the orange and green and the just the aura of the U. So I started following them weekly and even started using them in video games and 17 years later it's still the only team I cheer for!

Oh man, I loved going to the Coral Gables Flanigans while in school and when I go back and visit (unfortunately haven't been back in several years). I wish we had a similar option up here in DC.

Cool story about being the ball boy (said w/o any sarcasm).

Advertisement
Back