How did you become a Canes fan?

Grew up in the 305. Got to play in the OB as part of Canes halftime show. Field was was divided into four fields. It was K-Land 55 pounders. OB had artificial turf then. Think Chuck Foreman was RB then. He was a stud and played for Vikings. Dude needs to get some props. Great times back then and 80's. Sat in end zone seats when we beat Penn State

Advertisement
I love the fact that everybody has a story. They are all on such a personal level that it's hard (probably) for others to appreciate. But, I'll just say that I get it. However you arrived at this place, it's a good thing.

Agree. Really enjoyed reading everyone's story and how we got to the same place. I'm in Brevard County and us U fans are throwing it up when we drive by each other or see each other in stores etc. it is a Cane Thing! Also, our fan base is growing here. Seems like every day folks talk about the U when they see my Cane shirts or hat

Grew up in the MD/DC area and as a teenager with an attitude in the 80's, I naturally enjoyed rooting for Georgetown basketball and Hurricane Football. Both had that **** the world attitude. Georgetown got soft, but my love of UM stuck and I ended up going there for grad school. Fan for life.

no wonder we're a bunch of a-holes.. half of us (like me) only picked them as kids because everyone else hated them lmao..

Advertisement
Came to Miami from Houston Texas in '85. My only friend at the time was a huge canes fan. I was in junior high at the time and was a soccer player and knew nothing about football. He taught me to watch football by videotaping canes games.
I till remember telling him "why are all the teams so much slower than us? it doesn't seem fair". He responded "that's why were the best".
Went to a few OB games. The cheap seats vs scrub teams but they were epic. Parking was the best part. Wondering if you would ever see your car again. Remember when I was in the Marines how many non Florida UM fans there were. I was stationed in California in the early 90's and the barracks would erupt when Miami would score or make a good play.
Since then its been all canes. Got really hooked 2 years ago when we had enough $ to buy season tickets and my wife (she's an alumni) surprised me with them as a Christmas gift.
Dressing my kids up in cane swag is a dream come true. It's great to be a Miami Hurricane!!!

The 1988 Orange Bowl victory over the Oklahoma Sooners. I remember watching the game in my bedroom as a kid. I had the game on all by myself. My father came in and told me to turn it off because it was so late. I never did turn it off. I have been a faithful fan ever since.

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Born in New York, but moved to Miami Shores as a kid. Coming from New York, NFL was always king for me so I became a huge Phins fan. Got introduced to the Canes in middle school (99-00) by a friend who's family were huge canes fans. I've been hooked ever since.

Side note - Macho I love that Flanigans man. I went to Ransom and thats one of the spots we'd hit after school. I'm back in New York now, but my sister sent me a pic of Joe's Meal Deal the other day. I've never been so jealous.

Advertisement
Long time lurker, am enjoying reading these stories. Grew up in Chicago, Bears fan since early 70's. Dad loved football, he was south side Irish, had Notre Dame season tickets since early 70's. Went to a ton of ND games, learned to hate usc and that stupid 'V' chant. Left Chicago to go east for college, played football, graduated '86. Watched ND get rid of Holtz and 10 years of Bob Davie 'al golden' Tyrone Willingham crap (not to mention Dave wanstadt ruining the bears and eventually the dolphins). Moved to South Florida in late 90's and was invited to see UM play in orange bowl and Devin Hester housed a punt return vs. Louisville to take the lead. Instantly hooked. When Hester was drafted by the Bears in '06, my friends in Chicago were incredulous with the 2nd round pick...I said, "well, I think our field position got 10 yards better with him returning punts and kickoffs"....little did I know. Love the canes, fsu war chant is worse than usc 'v' chant.

no wonder we're a bunch of a-holes.. half of us (like me) only picked them as kids because everyone else hated them lmao..

LOL, you may be on to something.

Think Ali, John Madden-era Oakland Raiders, UNLV under Tark, Bad Boy Pistons ... and Thrill Hill sprinting through the end zone and into the tunnel against overmatched Texas.

Remember Jim Nantz on the call for CBS?

[video=youtube;9zeL5yyjqWQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zeL5yyjqWQ[/video]

"Going downfield for Thrill Hill ... to the 20, the 10, touchdown Miami! ... C'mon back Randall, C'mon back."

Canes had 202 yards of penalties, including 9 unsportsmanlikes or personal fouls.

And we blasted the No. 3 team in the country 46-3 in their own backyard.

HA HA.

A Cotton Bowl Classic if ever there was one.

Last edited:
My first memory was sitting on my dads lap in the late 90's watching Cane games. I could barely understand what was going on, but I knew something about it was special.

I was born in S. FL but moved around a lot because my dad had a government job. My dad was a die hard and he raised me right. Being originally from NY, he was also a huge Bills fan and thats why I root for them as well. For me, I liked all Miami teams and then the Bills; however, as time went on, my interest in almost every other team has desolved. I watch the Heat and Bills ocasionally, but I don't care if I miss game.

The Canes, though, are on a whole other ******* level. I haven't missed watching a game since 2000 -- The Canes are my religion. I literally don't care about any other team, sport, or thing in the world more than Hurricane sports. Glad to be on a board with so many like minded individuals.

Advertisement
Dad was a big time canes fan and I grew up watching them with him and my brother. Been watching the canes since I was 6 or 7 years old

Born in Miami and my father was a big sports fan. My mom went to the U on an academic scholarship. My dad started taking me to Canes baseball and football, Orioles spring training, and Dolphins games back in the 70's. The only team I've switched to is the Marlins even though I ended up doing high school and some college in Tallahassee. My brother and sister are both are both FSU grads but my brother is still a Canes fan. My sister and father got lost somehow, my dad still kinda roots for the U but he's an FSU booster now. I've always been a Canes fan and it's not going to change no matter where I am.

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

I have a lot of good memories in that Flanigans. Love that place.

Absolutely, great babyback ribs!!

I'm born and raised in Northern NJ, Loved everything about college football since 1983..... I had no car (total it) LOL, No *** (was in a slump, never happened again) I was 18, when all it took was watching that 1988 team play and how Tiger Clark and the whole team just talked so much **** and backed it UP!! That's all it took, I fell in Love with the Canes....****, I remember it was watching us play against fsu, I said "Miami Hurricanes" like 5 times and came away saying **** that **** sounds tight!! Think about it "The Miami Hurricanes" that just flows!! Anyways been a super fan ever since. And got a tattoo on my left arm. It's All about The U..... When I retire, I will be relocating to South Fl.

Last edited:
Advertisement
September 5th, 1981. I found the Miami / UF game on a small black and white TV. The only Miami team I knew about was the Dolphins, so that's who I thought was playing, until I saw that U on the side of the helmet. I quickly figured out this was the University of Miami Hurricanes. Been a fan since.

That was also the game where Richt came in for an injured Jim Kelly and did just enough for us to win the game.

Grew up in Kendall. Always wanted to go to the U, didn't want to spend that cash. Considering doing my MBA still.

Advertisement
Back