How did you become a Canes fan?

I was born here. Growing up in the 80's, it was kind of hard to get into football and not love the Hurricanes. My dad and uncles were fully on the band wagon by the time I was old enough to really understand what was going on and they brought me to my first game back in 1987. My parents could never afford to send me to UM but I used to wear Hurricanes gear on campus at UCF all the time. When I moved back to south Florida after school, I immediately bought season tickets and have had them since.

Advertisement
I was born and raised in the middle of PSU country and my entire family are PSU fans. I was a little kid in the early 80's and I loved watching Miami play. I think the rivalry that stood for me at that point was when they played ND. I loved watching it and I was like ***** PSU I'm rooting for Miami. My dad says it best when people ask, "How did you become a Miami fan?" He tells them "He loved how ****y they were when they walked on to the field and how much trash they talked to the other team."

Went to the U from 88 thru grad school. Became a passionate fan during the Catholics vs. Convicts era ... grew to hate ND to this day after the "robbery in South Bend" .... unbelievable memories at the rockin' OB .... feel lucky to have shared those times as a Cane fan

Advertisement
It's great to hear how passionate UM fans are about the Canes.

Long since tired of hearing FSU/UF fans talk **** about our support.

Grew up in greater Miami area and was fortunate enough my parents had us going to games since 1984, then went to school there. The smell of beer, rat meat, ketchup, mustard and urine in the OB was the best aroma ever. I loved the attitude, take nothing from nobody and give it to them twice as hard.

Semper Canes!!!

My dad was a big Canes fan, though he didn't go to UM--he grew up in the 50s and 60s in Hialeah and went to FAU on the cheap. So I grew up as a Canes fan in the late 70s. We moved out of So Fla in the early 80s, to Jacksonville first, then to Gainesville. I went to UF in the 90s, then grad school at FSU in the late 90s/early 2000s, but remained a Cane through it all.

Last edited:
Born in Hollywood, FL. Raised in various places in SFL and root for all the local teams down here. I became a Canes fan during elementary school in the early/mid '80's, the instant I realized there was a local cfb team that I could root for

Advertisement
For me it was simple, it was the first college football team I ever watched. I was only a Chicago Bears fan at this time, not really in to college football, and living in Chicago at that time, when they played Notre Dame, it came on TV. They smoked them like 24-0 and beat them up doing so. It was a wrap after that.

Both my parents are alumni. I grew up near campus and started going to the games with my folks in the middle 70s as a kid. I feel very lucky to have seen the first rise of the program. We attended all the bowl games for quite a few years from the first Peach Bowl through to the all the Orange Bowls. I went away to school, but have always been a Canes fan first. I get my kids to a game every chance I get. Next year will be Arkansas State.

I was a fan prior to this moment, but this solidified the eternal experience for me. I grew up in tally (*** y'all who call in trailerhassee, place is beautiful). 1991, sophmore in highschool, i was in the student section on the rail where you were not supposed to be. final seconds of the game (watching from the opposite endzone of the fg attempt), I saw bowden raise his hands in victory, i crashed to the ground in disgust, then the stadium went silent. in slow motion, i looked up and saw the refs waiving off the fg. it literally looked (from our view point) like it went in. haven't missed watching a game since (unless really ****ed at alf or radio).

Advertisement
Born and bred Australian, never even been to Miami but saw the fsu game at Tally a couple of years ago (and with trump in charge i wont be able to make it back any time soon). I watch every single game and due to the time difference sometimes that 2 or 3am sunday morning.
Followed the bucs because of Sapp, so jumped on the Canes for the same reason. Then just watched old games, read articles and all sorts.
.now i just lurk here.

Since 86...MIAMI-PSU game, my six grade teacher gave extra credit to the kids who pick the winner...growing up in Pittsburgh most of the class pick psu and I pick the U...of course I didn't get the extra credit but I have been turned out ever since

Advertisement
Both my parents are alumni. I grew up near campus and started going to the games with my folks in the middle 70s as a kid. I feel very lucky to have seen the first rise of the program. We attended all the bowl games for quite a few years from the first Peach Bowl through to the all the Orange Bowls. I went away to school, but have always been a Canes fan first. I get my kids to a game every chance I get. Next year will be Arkansas State.

Your story is almost a mirror of mine.

My dad took me to the local breakfast restaurant on SW 8th st and 5th Ave (the building is still there), on November 18, 1951. He and his buddies were discussing the UM/UF game from the night before. They were so excited that it got to me, and I've been a fan since that day. That was the first time I saw my dad as anything other than the stern parental figure. He was genuinely excited along with his friends. I was aware of the Canes as early as 1950, but 51 was the season I became a fan.

BTW: Trivia - Miami beat Florida on Nov. 17, 1951. That was the day Butch Davis was born.

Good stuff my man. You got me by a year. Born at Coral Gables Hospital in '52. They must have stamped Cane on my heal cause I never pulled for any other college team. Started game in 60's and in OB for the gator flop -- hated them ever since. Like OP, I grew up poor but grades were real good. Didn't matter that much back then, you still had to pay. Taught in Dade County Schools to pay UM Law tuition(had night school back then). In OB for first Fin game and big fan for years but never could equal love of The U. Lost interest in NFL when Fins left the OB. Life has been great to me. I am still living of money made in 70's and 80's but nothing compares to being a Cane fan all these years. It has been frigging great.

Advertisement
Back