How did you become a Canes fan?

I became a fan in the late 80s early 90s, I was about 8 or 9 years old. It was an exciting brand of football. Everybody was super fast and hit hard. Lots of deep passes. Dudes danced, talked trash and celebrated. Just fun to watch. Been a die hard since then.

Advertisement
Became a cane fan in the 4th grade (91) when my teacher handed out posters with cane players on it that read "join a team not a gang"

At that time, there was no baseball, no hockey, no FIU sports (all their alumni were cane fans and prob still are lol), Miami Heat were brand new so down here it was all about football.

That year they won the title and it was a wrap after that.

When I was 17/18 (2001) I worked at a restaurant in sunset place called Wilderness Grill, coach Coker would always come in with recruits and their parents for lunch. later that year another championship.

Hard to have grown up down here in the 80's 90's early 2000's and not have been a cane fan.

I went to UF in the 90s, then grad school at FSU in the late 90s/early 2000s, but remained a Cane fan through it all.

Well done my friend.

****, it was a blast being an outsider, especially because UM was so dominant during those years. My first year at UF was 91 (UM championship year). First at FSU was 99, and I was there through the 2000-2002 years of 34 straight wins. My friends couldn't stand me during football season, heh.

Went to my first game in 1968 with my Dad. Went to almost every home game since.

Look at Miami's schedule in 1968. Can you imagine anyone having that schedule today?

G Date Day School Opponent Conf Pts Opp W L T Streak Notes
1 Sep 20, 1968 Fri (19) Miami (FL) Northwestern Big Ten W 28 7 1 0 0 W 1
2 Sep 28, 1968 Sat (15) Miami (FL) @ Georgia Tech Ind W 10 7 2 0 0 W 2
3 Oct 5, 1968 Sat (13) Miami (FL) @ (2) Southern California Pac-8 L 3 28 2 1 0 L 1
4 Oct 11, 1968 Fri Miami (FL) (8) Louisiana State SEC W 30 0 3 1 0 W 1
5 Oct 18, 1968 Fri (12) Miami (FL) Virginia Tech Ind W 13 8 4 1 0 W 2
6 Oct 26, 1968 Sat (9) Miami (FL) @ Auburn SEC L 6 31 4 2 0 L 1
7 Nov 1, 1968 Fri Miami (FL) Pittsburgh Ind W 48 0 5 2 0 W 1
8 Nov 9, 1968 Sat Miami (FL) @ (4) Penn State Ind L 7 22 5 3 0 L 1
9 Nov 16, 1968 Sat Miami (FL) (16) Alabama SEC L 6 14 5 4 0 L 2
10 Nov 30, 1968 Sat Miami (FL) @ Florida SEC L 10 14 5 5 0 L 3

And ESPN would still say take a one loss SEC team over us if we ran the table.

Advertisement
I'm a CA boy from the bay area. I grew up being a niner fan. I was spoiled...Montana, Rice, Young, I can go on. Around 12-13 I started trying to follow college football. That happened to be in 2000-2001. At that time, Miami was on top of the world. Those teams had so much confidence and swagger. After watching them a couple of times I fell in love and I mean love. I remember going out to buy the college football game just so I could play with the Canes. Now I'm all over these boards, watch every game, and I couldn't care less what the niners do.

I'm a Cal alumni. One of my biggest regrets is not going to the bowl game a while back when Miami came up here to SF to play Cal. I had a feeling Cal would run all over them, so I didn't want to pony up the money.

Grew up in Elkhart, IN, believe some of you enjoyed our fine hotels. Growing up in the 80s, I liked the teams with the best athletes and I hated Notre Dame. Miami was a natural fit

Attended my first football game at North Carolina with the Boy Scouts around the age of ten. Don't remember much and was not particularly impressed. In high school I saw George Myra in the OB and was hooked. Have travelled coast to coast to away games.

Five years at Tennessee, it's a helluva crowd at Neyland Stadium and a great atmosphere in the days leading up to a game. It was fun but it wasn't Miami. I would search for a sports bar where I could watch the U. Had OB tickets for the Dolphins until they moved to JRS, continued with tix to the Canes. Fins don't mean anything to me these days but I still follow the Canes and search these pages for any kernel of information about the team.

I became a Canes fan after I watched and cheered them upset Nebraska in 1983 National Championship at Orange Bowl on TV in Newfoundland and Labrador. at the time I wanted Nebraska to lose because I read Time magazine article about them running up their scores against lowly teams. Their disrespect against these teams soured my stomach real bad. :)

Exactly how I became a fan too. Heard all week how Nebraska was the greatest team ever and that they would crush Miami. Watching Miami win that game 31-30 had me hooked from then on.

Advertisement
I attended The U for an Engineering Degree, and at first, I had no interest in the football team. I was like "College football? What a joke!". Well during the first Nat Champ season, I was especially not interested when we got waxed by that Gators in the opener.

During that semester, I would often put the radio while I was studying. One night, I happened to bump into the the Duke game, and finally got interested as I listened to Miami bust one all over Duke's face, to the tune of 56-17. I STILL refused to be a big fan, I mean, college football sucked, right? But as the season progressed, and Miami kept winning, I got slowly sucked in. The FSU game that year completely wrecked me, and I have been a wreck ever since, LOL.

For the National Championship game, my then girlfriend and I went to the Rat to watch, and it was simply magical...

Born and raised in small small town Iowa (900 people). Really pulling for Dykstra to exceed expectation here.

Happened to catch the Canes playing on TV against Alabama when I around 9. Being that young I didn't know much, but I loved the colors and that U.

Something that simple got me following the team and I have been a die hard fan ever since.

I grew up in PB county, and my family has been going to games since the 1950's, so I was born into the orange and green family. Before the Dolphins, if you cared about sports at all, then UM was your team in south Florida. It was UM and spring training/minor league baseball. And that was pretty much all you had to watch down here. So UM was the resident "pro team" even though they weren't very good for most of the 50s and 60s.

I was born and raised in Miami. My family became season ticket holders prior to when I was born (82'). Never missed a home game at the Orange Bowl after the age of 2 years old.

I look forward to continuing the family tradition once my daughter is born in April.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Grew up 30 minutes outside Gainesville, even from a young age I hated their fans.

Nobody in my family was into sports , so I chose my teams by watching tv. I instantly fell in love with Miami. The unis, swag, running through the smoke and bad boy image sucked me in instantly. UF fans hating them didn't hurt.

I'm not sure the exact time but it was during the Steve Walsh era, that was my dude.

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

I have a lot of good memories in that Flanigans. Love that place.

Advertisement
Became a cane fan in the 4th grade (91) when my teacher handed out posters with cane players on it that read "join a team not a gang"

At that time, there was no baseball, no hockey, no FIU sports (all their alumni were cane fans and prob still are lol), Miami Heat were brand new so down here it was all about football.

That year they won the title and it was a wrap after that.

When I was 17/18 (2001) I worked at a restaurant in sunset place called Wilderness Grill, coach Coker would always come in with recruits and their parents for lunch. later that year another championship.

Hard to have grown up down here in the 80's 90's early 2000's and not have been a cane fan.

Nice call on those posters. I use to love looking at them as a kid.

Blessed to have an awesome dad. In the early 70s, he'd take me to a lot of football practices. We used to stand on sidelines back then. Chuck Foreman and OJ Anderson were guys I loved watching. Also, lots of baseball games with Coach Ron F. Great day years later when legendary DL coach Harold Allen came to my HS to recruit me. Never stopped loving my Canes, Heat and Fins. Heyday Shula championship years as a kid. Great time to grow up in the 305.

I'm a fan based in the UK.

I got into football through the NFL being shown on a terrestrial channel over here. I picked an NFL team on a coin flip - it was the Panthers or the Jaguars, due to those being the two newest expansion teams.

For the Canes it was after watching the NFL for a couple of years and noticing a group of great players who carried themselves with a certain attitude. Once I realised they all came from the same university I was hooked.

87 ND game. Father was ND fan, hated them, rest is history.

Advertisement
Back