How did you become a Canes fan?

Became a cane fan in the 4th grade (91) when my teacher handed out posters with cane players on it that read "join a team not a gang"

At that time, there was no baseball, no hockey, no FIU sports (all their alumni were cane fans and prob still are lol), Miami Heat were brand new so down here it was all about football.

That year they won the title and it was a wrap after that.

When I was 17/18 (2001) I worked at a restaurant in sunset place called Wilderness Grill, coach Coker would always come in with recruits and their parents for lunch. later that year another championship.

Hard to have grown up down here in the 80's 90's early 2000's and not have been a cane fan.

Nice call on those posters. I use to love looking at them as a kid.

I wish I would have kept them. I actually tried finding one online but no luck.

Advertisement
Became a cane fan in the 4th grade (91) when my teacher handed out posters with cane players on it that read "join a team not a gang"

At that time, there was no baseball, no hockey, no FIU sports (all their alumni were cane fans and prob still are lol), Miami Heat were brand new so down here it was all about football.

That year they won the title and it was a wrap after that.

When I was 17/18 (2001) I worked at a restaurant in sunset place called Wilderness Grill, coach Coker would always come in with recruits and their parents for lunch. later that year another championship.

Hard to have grown up down here in the 80's 90's early 2000's and not have been a cane fan.

Nice call on those posters. I use to love looking at them as a kid.

I wish I would have kept them. I actually tried finding one online but no luck.

I see them on eBay and every once in a blue moon. Just have to patient and look.

UM used to host Band Days where local high school bands were invited to participate in a halftime show. I went to one in 83 or 84, can't remember. Been hooked ever since.

I believe I stated this in a similar thread. My father was desperate to make me and my little brother UM fans because his friends were all SEC guys and he took us to UM vs. BC when we went to visit him during the fall and it just so happened to be the game when the DE Walters picked the QB(I actually think the ball came off Mike Rumph's knee?)and he knew he couldn't score so he handed it to Ed Reed and he scored. After that game, I had my dad teach me everything about UM and its football history

Advertisement
My dad took me to my first game in 81 , um vs Norte dame . Kelly hit rocky belk on a bomb and I have been hooked ever since.

Born in Gainesville, grew up in Jacksonville, high school boyfriend received football scholarship to the U in 1957, we got married in '59 & lived in what was then the "married" dorms on campus near the little bridge that went over to the football field. We were independent back then and he would receive $25. if he tackled a player behind the 20 yard line on kick offs. Many, many great memories.....Sebastian burning Oklahoma's sooner wagon in the OB, beating ND 58 to 7...WOO WOO, Thrill Hill running thru the tunnel against Tx., meeting Mark Richt in an elevator in Miami when he was Kelly's back up, attending many out of state games throughout the country, FSU wide rights and left, Bobby Bowden stating that he wanted on his gravestone, "but I had to play Miami", kicking a field goal n the last second of the game @ the swamp when we were already soundly beating them because they were throwing oranges at our coaches and players, etc.., etc., etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed 60 years of Miami football and look forward to many more.

You bring up many great memories for me as I lived through all the games you mentioned also attending games all over the country

Have to get in on this one. 1988 was on Sistrunk Blvd getting the 87' T/A washed while listening to the the Michigan come back game with people i didn't know but we all were joyful as a **** that day and that solidified my Canehood til this day.

Advertisement
Started paying attention to the Canes in the mid-to-late 80's. Being raised in Nebraska, I never sipped the Husker Kool-aid even as a youngster. Playing linebacker as a kid, I remember emulating my game like Barrow's, Armstead's, Marley's, Smith's, Clark's, etc. Miami is the only team I've truly followed over the last 30+ years. Bleed orange and green.

I love all these old stories. So many different experiences and perspectives. People from other countries/continents. Grads, locals, we all love the U. So friggin cool.

One thing I tend to remember as a kid was that Miami actually threw the ball a lot. Watching the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust big 10 football or Notre Dame and Oklahoma running the wishbone was so boring as a kid. Miami was exciting. They threw the ball downfield to lightning fast receivers. That's the kind of football I wanted to watch.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back