How did you become a Canes fan?

Was a huge Clinton Portis fan but didn't care for the team. Then in 2010 I was accepted and the rest is history.

Advertisement
Grew up in the South Miami area (Richmond Heights) and actually grew up around Sean Taylor. But what made me a Canes fan was Jonathon "Joey" Vilma. My mom dated his dad and he and I were like pseudo brothers. Never paid attention to college football until he signed with the U. Great friend to this day and from then on I've been a cane.

I grew up in PA but I always hated Penn State because their fans are obnoxious ********. I became aware of college football in the early 80's and I liked the "U" helmet/logo so I started rooting for them. Then I watched them beat Nebraska in the '84 Orange Bowl and the rest is history.

I moved to Miami when I was 1.5, but my Grandfather had football tickets since 1954. I went to my first game in 1984, and then almost every home game until I went to college in 1997. I went to most basketball games once the program came back in the 80s and a lot of baseball games growing up too.

Advertisement
I grew up in Tampa, in the 70s, and had cousins at UF. I liked Miami and FSU because both were UF rivals. I became a full-time Miami fan watching a 17-14 upset over #1 Penn State on TV, in 1981. Jim Kelly was QB, and I recall an 80-yard TD pass to WR Larry Brodsky.

Last edited:
Dad lived in Miami entire life until we moved to ATL after andrew. Was raised all canes.
2002 OSU loss was when I first realized how far deep I was. It killed me man *** ohio st

1976: Sitting in my cold, furniture-less Timber Trace apartment, doing my homework as I was attending Santa Fe Community College in Gainesville (I had moved there from Miami). I turned on the radio to hear some music. As turned the tuning ****, I heard stadium raucous and a screaming announcer for the Gators on one of the stations. They had just scored. I thought of the obnoxious classmates who were gator fans, I remember choosing to root for the Canes, right then, right there. Of course, the U lost that game. I attended the U in later years, but have never blinked, when it comes to the U.

Advertisement
As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Born in New York, but moved to Miami Shores as a kid. Coming from New York, NFL was always king for me so I became a huge Phins fan. Got introduced to the Canes in middle school (99-00) by a friend who's family were huge canes fans. I've been hooked ever since.

Side note - Macho I love that Flanigans man. I went to Ransom and thats one of the spots we'd hit after school. I'm back in New York now, but my sister sent me a pic of Joe's Meal Deal the other day. I've never been so jealous.

That Flanigans is nuts. My pops is retired now (from the Town of Davie) and he actually works a security detail at that Flanigans 3 to 4 times a week just to stay active and make some extra cash. He tells me that the place is busy all night until 5am. (and his nights are Sunday-Wednesday)

My father's best friend (my Godfather) is Augie Bucci, the CFO of Flanigans. He says that Coral Gables store is the highest grossing store in the company. It makes like 10 million a year or something crazy like that.

One thing I definitely miss about being on the West coast of FLA now is no Flanigans. I'm trying to talk them into opening a store in Tampa/St.Pete.

The flanigans on bird and 27? Is your dad an imposing bald guy?

Nah LOL. My dad's anything but imposing.

Old Italian, salt & pepper hair, always smoking a cigarette and telling inappropriate jokes while adjusting his junk. Uses his pinky and pointer finger to speak.

Last edited:
Grew up in Miami and saw the McGahee/Frank Gore Canes and then endured the rough Shannon/Golden era. Got accepted into UM out of high school they gave me a decent scholarship but it wasn't enough. Had to attend FSU unfortunately (hate the Noles with a ******* passion don't root for them in any aspect). Will be applying to UM Law school in 2018 - wish me luck guys.

I was born and raised on the Beach and both of my parents went to the U. My Uncle, who also went to the U, had season's tickets and I grew up going to games, starting in the 70's. I attended our championship games against Nebraska (83/84), Oklahoma (85) and Nebraska (2001). I went to a college with no football team and never strayed from our team.

RVA-grew up on the beach as well, starting going to the OB in the late 50's, alumni of the U.

You might have known my Uncles. They graduated from Beach in the mid to late 60's and I think early 70"s. I have cousins that graduated in the 70's too. I'll look into the years. What year to you graduate from Beach?

Shoutout to my Beach graduates! Hence my username ;)

Sorry for triple posting but I can't tell you how difficult it was to attend FSU while being a die-hard Canes fan especially during this era of losing every ******* game. People just couldn't understand how I could root against my alma-mater. I'm appreciative of the education I'm getting but I'm a Miami boy at heart. Was raised there and there's just something you can't explain about young men who represent this city and have done in ways that no other school has. I don't think I've ever even put on a single FSU article of clothing. But yeah, it was very obnoxious being a Cane in Tallahassee. People just couldn't understand... It's A CANES THANG.

Advertisement
Sorry for triple posting but I can't tell you how difficult it was to attend FSU while being a die-hard Canes fan especially during this era of losing every ****ing game. People just couldn't understand how I could root against my alma-mater. I'm appreciative of the education I'm getting but I'm a Miami boy at heart. Was raised there and there's just something you can't explain about young men who represent this city and have done in ways that no other school has. I don't think I've ever even put on a single FSU article of clothing. But yeah, it was very obnoxious being a Cane in Tallahassee. People just couldn't understand... It's A CANES THANG.

back at ya bro. proud of you for not letting that stench permeate you cane roots. BIgly upvote

I was born and raised on the Beach and both of my parents went to the U. My Uncle, who also went to the U, had season's tickets and I grew up going to games, starting in the 70's. I attended our championship games against Nebraska (83/84), Oklahoma (85) and Nebraska (2001). I went to a college with no football team and never strayed from our team.

RVA-grew up on the beach as well, starting going to the OB in the late 50's, alumni of the U.

You might have known my Uncles. They graduated from Beach in the mid to late 60's and I think early 70"s. I have cousins that graduated in the 70's too. I'll look into the years. What year to you graduate from Beach?

Shoutout to my Beach graduates! Hence my username ;)

I figured that you were from the same place. I went to North Beach ES to start. My family has been there since the 1940's. It was so much different in the 70's and 80's than it is today.

Advertisement
Did some work on campus in the 70's and fell in love with atmosphere that Coral Gables provided...Had to listen to games on radio because we just were'nt competitive enough to be on TV...Rocked with the Canes in 83 Orange Bowl Nat Champs and it's been on every sense...

I am from maine, we don't have a college football team in fbs, so growing up id watch it on tv, I saw this ****y bragy team with all this bravado and fell in love, Michael Irving Jerome brown the them were so fun to watch the announcers hated them but me and my teenage self loved it. that's how I became a Miami fan.

As a kid I was always a Dolphin's fan first (loved Marino) and then a Cane's fan second. That was until my father, who was a manager at the Coral Gables Flanigans at the time, met Bobbby Revilla and a couple other UM staff members. They would come in there often. My pops, who's a real personable guy, would always buy them a drink and shoot the **** with them for a bit. Well one day Bobby asked my pop if I'd be interested in being a ball boy for the Canes. After those 3 seasons as a ball boy the Canes became my favorite team in all of sports.

Born in New York, but moved to Miami Shores as a kid. Coming from New York, NFL was always king for me so I became a huge Phins fan. Got introduced to the Canes in middle school (99-00) by a friend who's family were huge canes fans. I've been hooked ever since.

Side note - Macho I love that Flanigans man. I went to Ransom and thats one of the spots we'd hit after school. I'm back in New York now, but my sister sent me a pic of Joe's Meal Deal the other day. I've never been so jealous.

I have a cousin or two that probably went to Ransom with you. As you said you grew up in the Shores, I would've guessed that you'd go to Country Day.

Class of '06 so possibly.....Trust me it was a nice long commute but I wouldn't trade it for anything. That education set me on the right path

As a kid growing up in the northeast it's impossible to state how beautiful the OB looked on tv on overcast freezing November Saturday afternoons. Then you watched those Canes teams play. Then you were hooked. Then you went outside and fought Penn State and Notre Dame fans. Then you came to school here. Then you never left. Then you just add FSU and UiF fans to your list of fights.

Advertisement
Back