How can this be - the data

Ethnicsands

All-American
Miami last had an All American in 2005. That's stunning in its own right, but I thought I'd look at what happened in the years since. I tried to get it all right but probably botched a kid or two here or there, but here's what I found. From 2006 -- 2019:

- 83 different teams had at least one AA. (I’m counting AA seasons, so a kid who makes it two years in a row counts as two AA seasons for his school.)
- In Florida, FSU, UF, FAU, USF and UCF all have had one.
- In the ACC, every team other than Miami and VT have had AA s over this stretch -- viz., FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NCST, UNC, Duke, GA Tech, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt

- Alabama destroys everyone else, with 35 AAs over this period. Next were Oklahoma, LSU and Ohio State with 16 each.
- After this group, the next group included Clemson, FSU, Texas, Wisconsin, Stanford, A&M and Michigan, all with 10 or more.
- In the 5-9 range, you had Oklahoma State, Florida, Baylor, USC, Missouri, Iowa, Georgia, Notre Dame and Utah (7-9 each) followed by Oregon, Arkansas, TCU, Penn State, Auburn, UCLA and Michigan St. (5-6 each).
- Schools with 3-4 each were Boston College, Arizona, Texas Tech, Tenn., Oregon St., Arizona St., Memphis, Washington, Ole Miss, Wash. St., Kentucky and Cal

- The following schools all have had 2 AAs since Miami last had one: Colorado, Purdue, Boise St., South Carolina, Illinois, Pitt, Colorado St., Kansas St., Louisville, San Diego St., Houston, NCST, Wake, Cincy, WVA, Nebraska and Duke.
- The following schools all have had an AA since Miami last had one: Toledo, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Temple, LA Tech, Kent St., Tulane, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, UCF, USF, FAU, Idaho, BYU, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Indiana, Fresno St., Syracuse, Utah State, GA Tech, Minnesota, North Carolina and Virginia.

I'm interested to hear theories on this. Our coaching and schemes may be bad, but kids from 83 schools made AA over this period! Kids from obscure schools made it.

It may be improbable that any given kid makes AA. But over 14 years, we're zero for every kid we suited up - that cannot be probable. Oklahoma St. has had 9 AAs in this period. Missouri, Iowa and Utah posted 7 each during this period. USC, which has also been bad, has had 8. UCLA had 5. Arizona and Tennessee had 4, Arizona State and Memphis had 3, as did Kentucky, California and Washington State. Illinois, Wake Forest and Duke have had 2!

I think there are a few things going on here: (a) obviously, poor evaluations left us with too little top level talent; (b) what talent we've had has too often left early, missing the chance to accomplish a lot on the field; (c) some of our kids didn't put out the effort they should have, either because they were too NFL focused on believed the hype about them that fan boards provided; and (d) our staffs didn't help put kids in a position to succeed. However, placing the explanation all on (d) sounds like deep denial when the numbers are this stark. Kids from other schools succeeded in touch circumstances.

How can it be this bad? We had 5 AAs in the 1950s, 10 in the 1960s, 10 in the 1970s, 16 in the 1980s, 18 in the 1990s and 22 from 2000--2005. Then, none. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wondering those schools records were when they had All Americans.

Sometimes these awards r popularity contest, as well. Plus, I don’t recall any of our players just being dominant during this time. We’ve had some really good players that’s come through, but none that have been dominant like in yrs past.

This is just another indictment as the program as a whole.

There are some real differences in play for the schools you list.

Alabama should have killed it for several years as they attracted a ton of 5 star recruits during a period of sustained success. Regardless of how you feel about stars, more 5 stars should equal more AAs, even with the bust rate. Clemson should show the same pattern, but over a shorter period of time.

On the flip side is this quote, "Missouri, Iowa and Utah posted 7 each during this period." Two of those three (Iowa and Utah) have long terms staffs in place and plan on long term player development. Miami recruited a bunch of dudes who simply plan to go to "the league" as soon as possible and Miami, quite likely, sold them on that possibility. That explains a TON of draft decisions we've seen over the past decade or so as well. Dudes just come here to move on as quick as they can. And, because everyone has been sucking their d***** since age 8, they think college performance really doesn't even matter.

The real outlier, for me, is Michigan. I think they have become the new Notre Dame. They continue to recruit well because your grandparents loved them and you grew up hearing Michigan, even thought haven't won ANYTHING in your lifetime (if you are a recruit).

But the last part of my last sentence above applies to Miami as well.

12170732_938998309471262_407399646_n.jpg

Advertisement
Maybe Calais Campbell and but absolutely Erik Flowers and Kenny Phillips should’ve been an AA’s. It’s a popularity hype contest 1st, the stats, then actual ability.

This year UM should finally some AA’s as long as they stay healthy in Jordan and Rousseau. They are already getting hype and have good production.

Jaquan Johnson and Gerald Willis made All-American teams.

But, in general, the biggest issues are:

(1) AAs come from teams having good seasons, which we haven’t had; and

(2) AAs come from systems that produce numbers. Offensively, we have not had that in two decades. On defense, we only had that recently. That is why Willis and Quan made AA teams and why Rousseau will be on every preseason AA team.

Advertisement
From 1984-1988...and 1995-2004 (04 being last of Butch's kids...and Erickson was benefactor of JJs kids from 89-92) these 2 accounted for 40+ 1st Round Draft picks...40+ CFB AAs...6 HOFers (*soon to be)
Reed
Edge
Irvin
*Dre
*Wilfork
*Wayne....Which is absolutely absurd....In the History of the NCAA....These 2 stand alone in regards to Evauations and Recruiting....Proof is in the Pudding....

All Americans are predominantly found on teams willing to pay the going rate four the top recruits.
Now, and for quite a few yrs it is....If you think Butch didn't have to go up against the SEC Henchmen, and others in the same Mold your extremely kidding yourself...Not only did Butch, (And JJ before him) have to deal with Elite Henchmen, but in Butch's case, having to sit down in a Kids living room with the Kids parents...and sell them why he should come to UM, even though the school was just Rocked with Sanctions, Murder (Barnes)...No Bowl...No TV...Public Scorn...etc...Bottomline.....It's ALL about Evaluations and Proper Coaching....Without those...your Dead in the Water....

90% of this falls on ****** coaching:
  1. Recruiting hasn't been good
  2. ****** offensive and defensive systems as DMoney said
  3. Horrible and extremely soft culture
  4. All of the above leads to low win seasons

Advertisement
But yet we have more guys in the nfl than most of those teams. I’m pulling out the Miami bias card on this. No way we haven’t had all American talent on this ream and no way that no one produced in an all American level. J Johnson was the voted the best safety in the Acc how many weeks?
what about Richard’s freshman season? What about GR last season? Someone just mentioned Duke and I had to say to myself “wait Duke wasn’t an all American” how Tf does that happen? The hate is real.

Last edited:
But yet we have more guys in the nfl than most of those teams. I’m pulling out the Miami bias card on this. No way we haven’t had all American talent on this ream and no way that no one produced in an all American level. J Johnson was the votes the best safety n the Acc how many weeks?
what about Richard’s freshman season? What about GR last season? Someone just mentioned Duke and I had to say to myself “wait Duke wasn’t an all American” how Ed does that happen? The hate is real.
There are a couple of headscratchers there that make me agree with you.

There are a couple of headscratchers there that make me agree with you.
It doesn’t make any sesne. I’m not talking about getting AA at the levels of schools that recruit 20 places ahead of us. But if your telling me that since 2005 we haven’t had ONE player that had the talent and showed on the field that he was an all American then that sht is rigged and there is definitely a Bias. Njoku was a first rounder and was killing it his last season. Just look at Brevin Jordan. Not 1? not fckng one is just crazy.

Advertisement
Miami last had an All American in 2005. That's stunning in its own right, but I thought I'd look at what happened in the years since. I tried to get it all right but probably botched a kid or two here or there, but here's what I found. From 2006 -- 2019:

- 83 different teams had at least one AA. (I’m counting AA seasons, so a kid who makes it two years in a row counts as two AA seasons for his school.)
- In Florida, FSU, UF, FAU, USF and UCF all have had one.
- In the ACC, every team other than Miami and VT have had AA s over this stretch -- viz., FSU, Clemson, Virginia, NCST, UNC, Duke, GA Tech, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt

- Alabama destroys everyone else, with 35 AAs over this period. Next were Oklahoma, LSU and Ohio State with 16 each.
- After this group, the next group included Clemson, FSU, Texas, Wisconsin, Stanford, A&M and Michigan, all with 10 or more.
- In the 5-9 range, you had Oklahoma State, Florida, Baylor, USC, Missouri, Iowa, Georgia, Notre Dame and Utah (7-9 each) followed by Oregon, Arkansas, TCU, Penn State, Auburn, UCLA and Michigan St. (5-6 each).
- Schools with 3-4 each were Boston College, Arizona, Texas Tech, Tenn., Oregon St., Arizona St., Memphis, Washington, Ole Miss, Wash. St., Kentucky and Cal

- The following schools all have had 2 AAs since Miami last had one: Colorado, Purdue, Boise St., South Carolina, Illinois, Pitt, Colorado St., Kansas St., Louisville, San Diego St., Houston, NCST, Wake, Cincy, WVA, Nebraska and Duke.
- The following schools all have had an AA since Miami last had one: Toledo, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Temple, LA Tech, Kent St., Tulane, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, UCF, USF, FAU, Idaho, BYU, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Indiana, Fresno St., Syracuse, Utah State, GA Tech, Minnesota, North Carolina and Virginia.

I'm interested to hear theories on this. Our coaching and schemes may be bad, but kids from 83 schools made AA over this period! Kids from obscure schools made it.

It may be improbable that any given kid makes AA. But over 14 years, we're zero for every kid we suited up - that cannot be probable. Oklahoma St. has had 9 AAs in this period. Missouri, Iowa and Utah posted 7 each during this period. USC, which has also been bad, has had 8. UCLA had 5. Arizona and Tennessee had 4, Arizona State and Memphis had 3, as did Kentucky, California and Washington State. Illinois, Wake Forest and Duke have had 2!

I think there are a few things going on here: (a) obviously, poor evaluations left us with too little top level talent; (b) what talent we've had has too often left early, missing the chance to accomplish a lot on the field; (c) some of our kids didn't put out the effort they should have, either because they were too NFL focused on believed the hype about them that fan boards provided; and (d) our staffs didn't help put kids in a position to succeed. However, placing the explanation all on (d) sounds like deep denial when the numbers are this stark. Kids from other schools succeeded in touch circumstances.

How can it be this bad? We had 5 AAs in the 1950s, 10 in the 1960s, 10 in the 1970s, 16 in the 1980s, 18 in the 1990s and 22 from 2000--2005. Then, none. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada.
Strong post.

Terrible indictment of Miami football.

This is actually shocking and heartbreaking when I see none for us and all the other schools listed.....**** we suck lol

A lot of the awarding of an AA is based on national recognition. Most of them are either seniors or dudes who were big time as FR/SO, so the hype for them is built prior to the season in which they “earn it.”

So if you’re a school that doesn’t have very many underclassmen superstars or one where your juniors leave before they can build on the recognition that they DO have (like UM), it leads to this result.

Advertisement
Back