Hiring a head coach who's a "recruiter"

Advertisement
If Mario is hired I (and a lot of others I know) are done!!!. burn all the **** and send the AD the fuggin ashes.

I will go root for South Dakota or some other unknown team. I will occasionally come back to remind each and everyone of you who is pulling for Wario just to say "I told you so".

Many of you are the same bunch who crowned AG when he first got here. Fuggin As.s clowns

We might as well have kept Al if you're going to replace him with Mario ******' Cristobal.

Last edited:
What do you think, though, about the possibility of Mario being slapped with the "head coach in waiting" label if he's a part of Butch's proposed staff? Doesn't that become a dealbreaker for you?

The "head coach in waiting" thing is just fluff to me.

Number one, Butch doesn't sound like he wants to retire any time soon. Number two, the only way Mario would actually become the head coach is if the Butch regime was highly successful. So it's not something I'm concerned about.

That's ANOTHER thing that worries me about Butch. I don't want us to get into some Paterno, Bowden or Virginia Tech situation where the coach doesn't know when to say when. Give me Herman baby!

I don't want a recruiter, I want an X and O's guy.

Even if you were an average recruiter here, you'd still get enough guys to win the ACC if your X's and O's are innovative.

Bring in a guy like that and Miami will recruit itself. Kids will want to play in the systems.

Advertisement

Even if you were an average recruiter here, you'd still get enough guys to win the ACC if your X's and O's are innovative.

Bring in a guy like that and Miami will recruit itself. Kids will want to play in the systems.

This has been my argument for awhile

I don't give a **** how good of a recruiter you are, you're not gonna convince explosive slot WR's to come play in the Wing-T offense.
You're not gonna convince a prototype 3-technique to come play in your 2-gap 3-4 scheme.

I want a guy that's gonna come in here and run the schemes that cater to South FLA athletes while showing some innovation, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, as I don't see much of a need to be innovative on defense with South FLA athletes.

I don't give a **** how good of a recruiter you are, you're not gonna convince explosive slot WR's to come play in the Wing-T offense.
You're not gonna convince a prototype 3-technique to come play in your 2-gap 3-4 scheme.

I want a guy that's gonna come in here and run the schemes that cater to South FLA athletes while showing some innovation, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, as I don't see much of a need to be innovative on defense with South FLA athletes.

It's about systems. Nobody ever said dabo was a x and o guy but he has systems on both sides of the ball that allows the players to play fast and be aggressive.

Then you dont want to national championships. Show me the last national champion whose avg class ranking was outside of the top 10?

I could care less about the ACC I want more titles.

With the talent in SFL we should be Alabama.

Advertisement

It's about systems. Nobody ever said dabo was a x and o guy but he has systems on both sides of the ball that allows the players to play fast and be aggressive.

Clemson has the best coordinators in college football

Advertisement
Okay so I can understand it being better options avail at HC but are fans really against Cristobal coming in as a PC? That cant be true....

Clemson has the best coordinators in college football

Venables is good but you don't even know who clemson oc is since chad morris left because he installed that system and now it's rolling.

Then you dont want to national championships. Show me the last national champion whose avg class ranking was outside of the top 10?

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition. You don't need a "recruiter" to bring in good classes. Winning brings talent. It's why ace recruiters like Ron Zook always start off hot, then fall apart.

Advertisement

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition. You don't need a "recruiter" to bring in good classes. Winning brings talent. It's why ace recruiters like Ron Zook always start off hot, then fall apart.

I didnt say you couldnt lose with a top class i said you wont win if you dont have top classes.

If you don't believe me... Show me the last NC to have a avg of their 4 classes ranked outside of the top 10. Should be an easy find.

I didnt say you couldnt lose with a top class i said you wont win if you dont have top classes.

If you don't believe me... Show me the last NC to have a avg of their 4 classes ranked outside of the top 10. Should be an easy find.

The point most people are making is that a strong X and Os coach will win big games. A winning program in the hotbed of talent that is S. Fla. will necessarily be a great recruiter, bc a large portion of the kids will want to stay home and play in front of their families.

In other words, the recruiting will largely take care of itself when we start winning again. And to win again, we need an attack-based aggressive defense and a quality OC.

Posted this about a week ago in the WEZ, but thought I would re-post here in light of the Cristobal talk.

First of all, I think there are three components to recruiting that all get lumped under the "recruiting" umbrella:

1. Philosophy -- What type of player are you after? Do you prioritize measurables or intangibles? What's the sliding scale between the two, etc...?
2. Evaluation -- Can you identify talent based on crappy camcorder footage against crappy competition with crappy coaching?
3. Selling -- Can you convince your targets to come to your school?

When people say recruiting, I think they generally mean selling, but that isn't as important as the other two factors, especially evaluating (the most crucial part, IMO).

How much selling do people think the head coach actually does? Yes, the head coach establishes a brand, and yes the head coach uses his allowable contact to close the deal, but the legwork is done by the position coaches and the administrative staff.

The head coach's main responsibility in recruiting is determining a philosophy and evaluating talent properly. This is where Golden failed. He de-emphasized speed. He wanted big LBs and traditional 3-4 D-linemen. D'Onofrio was cut from the same cloth, and we saw that video footage of the staff recruiting powwow:

[video=youtube;OUNDZkWYqjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUNDZkWYqjA[/video]

Now supposedly the player in question went to Bucknell or some ****. FOH. And Golden's camp offers were filled with guys that washed out quickly. Terrible philosophy and terrible evaluation.

Now this brings me to Wario Cristobal. He keeps getting mentioned as an ace recruiter. "Miami would clean up in South Florida if they hire him," blah blah blah.

Again, the head coach's main job is evaluating. So what proof is there that Cristobal knows how to evaluate talent? Supposedly he didn't even want T.Y. Hilton when he was at FIU. Someone practically twisted his arm. If true, that certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

He may be a great salesman (which is debatable), but that's irrelevant if he's selling the wrong guys. Let's not forget Al Golden was a master salesman. IIRC Tom Lemming rated him the best recruiter in the country. James Coley is considered a great salesman as well. It doesn't matter if you can't win because of poor evals and poor coaching/development.

Hire a coach who can evaluate talent and use it properly. Hire a coach who's smart enough to have good salesmen on his staff. Win games.

Winning is the best "recruiting" tool.

i know the hilton family personally and never heard anything about cristobal not wanting him. hilton's decision came down to doing what's best for his son and actually let his son choose. it was between WVU and FIU.

The point most people are making is that a strong X and Os coach will win big games. A winning program in the hotbed of talent that is S. Fla. will necessarily be a great recruiter, bc a large portion of the kids will want to stay home and play in front of their families.

In other words, the recruiting will largely take care of itself when we start winning again. And to win again, we need an attack-based aggressive defense and a quality OC.

What does winning again mean?

I don't think there is coach in the country that would win 11 games with this squad. To many holes, not enough depth. Jimmy Johnson,Bill Belichick and Colin Powell couldn't get 11 wins out of this team.

Strong could have good game day planning if he had the correct coordinators.

He obviously has great defensive game day planning because he has won two titles from it.

So the question is the offensive Coordinator. He obviously is not bringing the failed OC with him from Texas.

I think he would bring in a Miami guy. Chud, Mario or Drosey, very likely he would pull in the same OC as Butch would.

Butch has never been a great X and Os guy. Never. If anyone says that he is then that obviously do not recall his time here at Miami. People absolutely loathed him for that and his team's were the most vanilla teams Miami has ever had.

So the hate against Strong would be to put a real recruiting advantage on the back burner because they dont think he can bring in a good OC when its likley going to be the same pool of OCs as butch would use.

Advertisement
Back