Hiring a head coach who's a "recruiter"

Advertisement
If you can't win, recruits won't come for long

Your right if you cant win with top notch recruits on a consistent basis then your screwed.

Charlie's team has less talent than it has ever had. He had good seasons at Louisville when he had some good talent.

Mario would be very questionable to me because I think while at FIU he had Miami talent and the teams he was playing didnt. But he lost consistently. Maybe there is some apsect of that I am not seeing but to me it doesnt smell good.

Butch had some decent teams at UNC but didnt win much. He did not win a title at Miami but he would have in 2001 and maybe even in 2002.

I am not sure there is a proven big school winner out there on our board.

My first pick would be Chip Kelly but other than that who is the right guy?

Since there is no clear cut I think we go balls deep on recruiting and get some competent coaches. I personally think Charlie is competent and he would put together a killer defense here. His Florida defenses were Miami like. Its obvious he is not an offensive guru, but he would very likely take from the same pool of candidates as Butch would.

I also like Butch but he is not a game day coach and there is no guarantee he can recruit or eye talent like he used to. Anyone who thinks its just going to happen because he did it 15 years ago is kidding themselves. Its a big risk and not a clear winner.

I would like Herman but i fear bringing in an other outsider may not have the recruiting impact. I don't think he can be successful here unless he can impact recruiting right off the bat. I also don't think he wants to come here.

Its like last time we hired a coach. We got turned down by everyone. Now you hear Shula doesn't want the gig.

I mean seriously our candidates may be butch, mario, chud and strong.

The biggest recruiting impact would be a couple of those guys.

Last edited:
If you can't win, recruits won't come for long

Your right if you cant win with top notch recruits on a consistent basis then your screwed.

Charlie's team has less talent than it has ever had. He had good seasons at Louisville when he had some good talent.

Mario would be very questionable to me because I think while at FIU he had Miami talent and the teams he was playing didnt.

Butch had some decent teams at UNC but didnt win much. He did not win a title at Miami but he would have in 2001 and maybe even in 2002.

I am not sure there is a proven big school winner out there on our board.

My first pick would be Chip Kelly but other than that who is the right guy?

Since there is no clear cut I think we go balls deep on recruiting and get some competent coaches. I personally think Charlie is competent and he would put together a killer defense here. His Florida defenses were Miami like. Its obvious he is not an offensive guru, but he would very likely take from the same pool of candidates as Butch would.

I also like Butch but he is not a game day coach and there is no guarantee he can recruit or eye talent like he used to. Anyone who thinks its just going to happen because he did it 15 years ago is kidding themselves. Its a big risk and not a clear winner.

I would like Herman but i fear bringing in an other outsider may not have the recruiting impact. I don't think he can be successful here unless he can impact recruiting right off the bat. I also don't think he wants to come here.

Its like last time we hired a coach. We got turned down by everyone. Now you hear Shula doesn't want the gig.

I mean seriously our candidates may be butch, mario, chud and strong.

Charlie Weiss will give us a schematic advantage over every opponent. Could get him at 3 Mil per year with ND and Kansas paying him 4 Mil. Net gain of a Mil and a great x's and o's guy.

Its obvious he is not an offensive guru, but he would very likely take from the same pool of candidates as Butch would.

You've said this a couple times. I don't buy it. Why would I think a guy who failed to ever get a decent OC and is losing at Texas would be picking from the same group of OC's as a guy with 2 super bowl rings and a history of assistants who went on to the NFL or head coaching gigs in college?

Doesn't compute for me.

Charlie Weiss will give us a schematic advantage over every opponent. Could get him at 3 Mil per year with ND and Kansas paying him 4 Mil. Net gain of a Mil and a great x's and o's guy.

Think about this... KU was worse off with Charlie Weiss and Dave Campo on their staff than they were with Turner Gill. Weiss is a great X's and O's guy with Tom Brady under center. Otherwise? I haven't seen it.

Advertisement
What does winning again mean?

I don't think there is coach in the country that would win 11 games with this squad. To many holes, not enough depth. Jimmy Johnson,Bill Belichick and Colin Powell couldn't get 11 wins out of this team.

Strong could have good game day planning if he had the correct coordinators.

He obviously has great defensive game day planning because he has won two titles from it.

So the question is the offensive Coordinator. He obviously is not bringing the failed OC with him from Texas.

I think he would bring in a Miami guy. Chud, Mario or Drosey, very likely he would pull in the same OC as Butch would.

Butch has never been a great X and Os guy. Never. If anyone says that he is then that obviously do not recall his time here at Miami. People absolutely loathed him for that and his team's were the most vanilla teams Miami has ever had.

So the hate against Strong would be to put a real recruiting advantage on the back burner because they dont think he can bring in a good OC when its likley going to be the same pool of OCs as butch would use.

This squad has enough talent to be a one-loss team right now. We certainly should have beaten Cincy and FSU also was ripe for the taking this year with a good coaching staff.

Chud is not coming here to be the OC. He will be an OC in the NFL, if not a head coach.

The last person I would want as OC is Mario. That's another disaster waiting to happen.

I am confident that Butch will put together a great staff, particularly because we do not have to pay him as much as other candidates will require. That extra money can go to his coordinators.

Strong had essentially unlimited resources at UT to compile his staff. I am not impressed with the results, and am unwilling to risk him duplicating those poor choices at UM.

How did strong make bad choices? Vance bedford was his dc at louisville and helped with those great defenses. Shawn watson was his oc at louisville. Texas doesn't have talent. They said texas doesn't have one upperclassmen who will be drafted.

I was responding to the poster claiming Strong's problem at UT is coordinator-related. Either he picked awful coordinators and/or UT is underperforming bc of Strong's own head coaching deficiencies.

I don't care what is causing the problems at UT, but there is clearly a problem when UT loses to IA St, among others. I don't want to risk those problems at UM. After two historically disastrous hires.

OK I throw facts.....

You want to see what has happened to Texas take a look at how their recruiting classes have ranked over the past years and you tell me what the issue is.

2010 # 3
2011 # 3
2012 # 2 1 projected 7th round pick
2013 # 24
2014 # 20
2015 # 12

Two "bad" recruiting years where they still pulled in top 25 classes. is that your excuse for losing to IA State? What are IA State's class ranks?

these are the same kind of excuses people made for Golden. I'm not saying Strong is as bad as Golden, possibly the worst D1 coach out there. But like Golden he is clearly underperforming with plenty of talent.

It's amazing the debate about Mario has gone on as long as it has. At Miami, you don't need a recruiter as your head coach. With history, you're doomed to repeat history if you haven't learned from it. Our last two head coaches were the very definition of recruiters. Randy played for Miami and was tied into South Florida recruiting and was supposed to kill it down here. Golden was a national recruiter of the year (or at least up there) when he came on board.

What did that get us? Still missed out on some prospects as they recognized the BS and saw that other programs would get them more developed for the next level. Mario is not the answer. Period.

I don't want a recruiter, I want an X and O's guy.

Even if you were an average recruiter here, you'd still get enough guys to win the ACC if your X's and O's are innovative.

Bring in a guy like that and Miami will recruit itself. Kids will want to play in the systems.

Then you dont want to national championships. Show me the last national champion whose avg class ranking was outside of the top 10?

I could care less about the ACC I want more titles.

With the talent in SFL we should be Alabama.

I guess you didn't read the last line.

Winning makes recruiting a lot easier.

It's a lot easier to sign top notch WR/QB/RB talent when you walk into a kid's living room and tell him that your offense at your previous school averaged 500 yards and 40 points per game and your starting QB made 1st team all-conference.

Miami is one of those rare programs where winning can come before recruiting. We have so much talent down here that even with a bad recruiting year we still have plenty of NFL caliber players. Most other schools in the country have to recruit big before they can win.

Advertisement

It's a lot easier to sign top notch WR/QB/RB talent when you walk into a kid's living room and tell him that your offense at your previous school averaged 500 yards and 40 points per game and your starting QB made 1st team all-conference.

Miami is one of those rare programs where winning can come before recruiting. We have so much talent down here that even with a bad recruiting year we still have plenty of NFL caliber players. Most other schools in the country have to recruit big before they can win.
Herman would be the best hire IMO. **** shame it ain't gonna happen

How easy will it be for Butch Davis to go into So. Fla. living rooms and recruit with his pitch?

Be honest.

How easy will it be for Butch Davis to go into So. Fla. living rooms and recruit with his pitch?

Be honest.

I dont know to be honest. If it were me I would be pumped but kids these day may not believe the good ol days speeches. The reality is that these kids may not identify with Butch like we do. They were 3 years old when he was last coach of the U.

Be honest.

Is he going to bring a copy of The U with him?

Advertisement

I agree with this sentiment fully.

Programs like USC, Texas, Bama, Miami, UF, and FSU are those rare programs that can do this b/c of location.

Be honest.

I dont know to be honest. If it were me I would be pumped but kids these day may not believe the good ol days speeches. The reality is that these kids may not identify with Butch like we do. They were 3 years old when he was last coach of the U.

It honestly comes across as a bit pathetic, honestly. He comes in there with a Superbowl ring from 1994? Sorry but teenagers aren't going to get juiced up over his 2000 Sugar Bowl win or being the DC for the Dallas Cowboys 25 years ago.

Be honest.

It honestly comes across as a bit pathetic, honestly. He comes in there with a Superbowl ring from 1994? Sorry but teenagers aren't going to get juiced up over his 2000 Sugar Bowl win or being the DC for the Dallas Cowboys 25 years ago.

depends on if their nfl heroes are guys he recruited... I'd think a dade kid would be pretty **** psyched if a guy is telling him all about Sean Taylor or Ed reed, for example

Advertisement
I think the player's Daddies would be more impressed by Butch than the kids would.

"Son, you know who that is?!"

Advertisement
Back