Hiring a head coach who's a "recruiter"

Advertisement
I didnt say you couldnt lose with a top class i said you wont win if you dont have top classes.

If you don't believe me... Show me the last NC to have a avg of their 4 classes ranked outside of the top 10. Should be an easy find.

And I didn't say you don't need talent.

I said being an ace salesman only takes you so far. You have to be able to evaluate, develop, and win.

People talk about Saban's recruiting, but they don't mention the fact he's an X's & O's mastermind. Part of the reason he recruits so well is because he has a specific philosophy, he knows how to recruit for it, and he knows how to teach it. He wins games, and kids consistently buy in.

Kids all over the country don't go to Tuscaloosa, Alabama because of Saban's charming personality. They go because they want to win.

Then you dont want to national championships. Show me the last national champion whose avg class ranking was outside of the top 10?

I could care less about the ACC I want more titles.

With the talent in SFL we should be Alabama.

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition. You don't need a "recruiter" to bring in good classes. Winning brings talent. It's why ace recruiters like Ron Zook always start off hot, then fall apart.

I didnt say you couldnt lose with a top class i said you wont win if you dont have top classes.

If you don't believe me... Show me the last NC to have a avg of their 4 classes ranked outside of the top 10. Should be an easy find.

The point most people are making is that a strong X and Os coach will win big games. A winning program in the hotbed of talent that is S. Fla. will necessarily be a great recruiter, bc a large portion of the kids will want to stay home and play in front of their families.

In other words, the recruiting will largely take care of itself when we start winning again. And to win again, we need an attack-based aggressive defense and a quality OC.

What does winning again mean?

I don't think there is coach in the country that would win 11 games with this squad. To many holes, not enough depth. Jimmy Johnson,Bill Belichick and Colin Powell couldn't get 11 wins out of this team.

Strong could have good game day planning if he had the correct coordinators.

He obviously has great defensive game day planning because he has won two titles from it.

So the question is the offensive Coordinator. He obviously is not bringing the failed OC with him from Texas.

I think he would bring in a Miami guy. Chud, Mario or Drosey, very likely he would pull in the same OC as Butch would.

Butch has never been a great X and Os guy. Never. If anyone says that he is then that obviously do not recall his time here at Miami. People absolutely loathed him for that and his team's were the most vanilla teams Miami has ever had.

So the hate against Strong would be to put a real recruiting advantage on the back burner because they dont think he can bring in a good OC when its likley going to be the same pool of OCs as butch would use.

This squad has enough talent to be a one-loss team right now. We certainly should have beaten Cincy and FSU also was ripe for the taking this year with a good coaching staff.

Chud is not coming here to be the OC. He will be an OC in the NFL, if not a head coach.

The last person I would want as OC is Mario. That's another disaster waiting to happen.

I am confident that Butch will put together a great staff, particularly because we do not have to pay him as much as other candidates will require. That extra money can go to his coordinators.

Strong had essentially unlimited resources at UT to compile his staff. I am not impressed with the results, and am unwilling to risk him duplicating those poor choices at UM.

It's not an "all or nothing" proposition. You don't need a "recruiter" to bring in good classes. Winning brings talent. It's why ace recruiters like Ron Zook always start off hot, then fall apart.

The point most people are making is that a strong X and Os coach will win big games. A winning program in the hotbed of talent that is S. Fla. will necessarily be a great recruiter, bc a large portion of the kids will want to stay home and play in front of their families.

In other words, the recruiting will largely take care of itself when we start winning again. And to win again, we need an attack-based aggressive defense and a quality OC.

I don't think there is coach in the country that would win 11 games with this squad. To many holes, not enough depth. Jimmy Johnson,Bill Belichick and Colin Powell couldn't get 11 wins out of this team.

He obviously has great defensive game day planning because he has won two titles from it.

So the question is the offensive Coordinator. He obviously is not bringing the failed OC with him from Texas.

I think he would bring in a Miami guy. Chud, Mario or Drosey, very likely he would pull in the same OC as Butch would.

Butch has never been a great X and Os guy. Never. If anyone says that he is then that obviously do not recall his time here at Miami. People absolutely loathed him for that and his team's were the most vanilla teams Miami has ever had.

So the hate against Strong would be to put a real recruiting advantage on the back burner because they dont think he can bring in a good OC when its likley going to be the same pool of OCs as butch would use.

This squad has enough talent to be a one-loss team right now. We certainly should have beaten Cincy and FSU also was ripe for the taking this year with a good coaching staff.

Chud is not coming here to be the OC. He will be an OC in the NFL, if not a head coach.

The last person I would want as OC is Mario. That's another disaster waiting to happen.

I am confident that Butch will put together a great staff, particularly because we do not have to pay him as much as other candidates will require. That extra money can go to his coordinators.

Strong had essentially unlimited resources at UT to compile his staff. I am not impressed with the results, and am unwilling to risk him duplicating those poor choices at UM.

How did strong make bad choices? Vance bedford was his dc at louisville and helped with those great defenses. Shawn watson was his oc at louisville. Texas doesn't have talent. They said texas doesn't have one upperclassmen who will be drafted.

Advertisement

How did strong make bad choices? Vance bedford was his dc at louisville and helped with those great defenses. Shawn watson was his oc at louisville. Texas doesn't have talent. They said texas doesn't have one upperclassmen who will be drafted.

LOL. Texas has such inferior talent that it should get pounded 24-0 by Iowa State? You guys are sipping that ******* bath water too hard. Even if his team was solely composed of his 2 recruiting classes he has far more talent than Iowa State.

I said being an ace salesman only takes you so far. You have to be able to evaluate, develop, and win.

People talk about Saban's recruiting, but they don't mention the fact he's an X's & O's mastermind. Part of the reason he recruits so well is because he has a specific philosophy, he knows how to recruit for it, and he knows how to teach it. He wins games, and kids consistently buy in.

Kids all over the country don't go to Tuscaloosa, Alabama because of Saban's charming personality. They go because they want to win.

Saban had number one classes before he started winning. Also Saban will tell you he is a decent coach but the best recruiter out there.

Also still no facts to refute the point that in modern college football you need top classes year in and year out.

LOL. Texas has such inferior talent that it should get pounded 24-0 by Iowa State? You guys are sipping that ******* bath water too hard. Even if his team was solely composed of his 2 recruiting classes he has far more talent than Iowa State.

His team has massive holes and in Texas he cant take full advantage of his Florida recruits.

His OC is awful. No doubt.

His Louisville team would destroy this Texas team and Iowa State at the same time.

Saban had number one classes before he started winning. Also Saban will tell you he is a decent coach but the best recruiter out there.

Also still no facts to refute the point that in modern college football you need top classes year in and year out.
Yeah. No one considers Saban to be one of the best defensive minds in college football.

He's just a decent coach.

Advertisement

Bunch of what ifs and the season is not over.

Coastal is an absolute joke.

You can easily say should have lost to Duke.

One of the worst OLine and LB core in our history.

This is not a title team no matter who is coaching simply to many holes and no depth.

Please go look at the rosters of our title teams to get a sense of what a Miami talented team is.

Also take the challenge. Show me the last team ranked as low as us that won the title.

Yeah. No one considers Saban to be one of the best defensive minds in college football.

Shannon could coach his D as well as him with the classes he brings in.

Butches D was as vanilla as it got.

And this is where I stop engaging you.

Good day.

I was responding to the poster claiming Strong's problem at UT is coordinator-related. Either he picked awful coordinators and/or UT is underperforming bc of Strong's own head coaching deficiencies.

I don't care what is causing the problems at UT, but there is clearly a problem when UT loses to IA St, among others. I don't want to risk those problems at UM. After two historically disastrous hires.

Advertisement

This is not a title team no matter who is coaching simply to many holes and no depth.

Please go look at the rosters of our title teams to get a sense of what a Miami talented team is.

Also take the challenge. Show me the last team ranked as low as us that won the title.

I'm not going to argue your irrelevant strawmen.

You don't have win the national title to keep S. Fla. recruits at UM. He'll, even if Golden had changed his defensive philosophy to a 4-3 attacking defense and won 10 games this year, even with a tight loss in the ACC Championship game, then he would have pulled in a stud-laden top 10 recruiting class.

I certainly never said that the next coach would have to win 11 games next year for UM to pull in studs. What I said is that too much emphasis is placed on how good of a salesman the head coach is. When UM wins, the program and it's history sells itself.

Last edited:

And this is where I stop engaging you.

Good day.

ON which point.

Cant be Butch's D was vanilla. Because thats a known.

Shannon comment is subjective as ****.

But it begs the point.

When Shannon had top recruiting classes he coached the D to these final stats..

2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd

The last three years Saban has been

2015 - 3rd
2014 - 12th
2013 - 5th

If it really takes coaching and not recruiting how does Shannon compare to Saban? How is that possible?

The answer is simple Shannon at one time was as good as Saban, right? No its that recruiting matters the most!

Also guess what national title winning team is on top right now with total D - Boston College!

The point is that it always come back to recruiting. I don't care what stat you throw at it. It always comes back to recruiting. Recruiting turns Shannons into Sabans. Recruiting wins championships.

Last edited:

I was responding to the poster claiming Strong's problem at UT is coordinator-related. Either he picked awful coordinators and/or UT is underperforming bc of Strong's own head coaching deficiencies.

I don't care what is causing the problems at UT, but there is clearly a problem when UT loses to IA St, among others. I don't want to risk those problems at UM. After two historically disastrous hires.

OK I throw facts.....

You want to see what has happened to Texas take a look at how their recruiting classes have ranked over the past years and you tell me what the issue is.

2010 # 3
2011 # 3
2012 # 2 1 projected 7th round pick
2013 # 24
2014 # 20
2015 # 12

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'm not going to argue your irrelevant strawmen.

You don't have win the national title to keep S. Fla. recruits at UM. He'll, even if Golden had changed his defensive philosophy to a 4-3 attacking defense and won 10 games this year, even with a tight loss in the ACC Championship game, then he would have pulled in a stud-laden top 10 recruiting class.

I certainly never said that the next coach would have to win 11 games next year for UM to pull in studs. What I said is that too much emphasis is placed on how good of a salesman the head coach is. When UM wins, the program and it's history sells itself.

Its irrelevant but statistically consistent yer after year after year.

Whats irrelevant mean again?

Wait I don't think Golden could have ever won back the recruiting war. This mythical what if he just change his D is horrible logic to base your argument on. I state repeatable facts and you have what ifs. And you dont want to take any more risks. Hmmmm.

If the next coach can recruit like a **** then we will win 11 games and do it consistently until we win more titles. See recent history for proof.

Also Saban had his number 1 class before he had any titles.

Went from non existent ranking to 10 to 1 to title. In that order.

Last edited:
Nick Saban had won a title and was recognized as one of the top coaches in the world before he even got to Alabama. Not sure how anyone thinks that Saban was some no name guy who built the Tide up with relentless recruiting. He had that program turned around by the second season, with most of his players kids he didn't recruit.

I think Saban is in fact a great example of why guys like Charlie strong shouldnt be considered. He not only hasn't improved upon the old coach's record, but he has been a lot worse, and now he has zero recruiting momentum.

Is this a serious post? Saban won a national championship at LSU, players know what they are getting. He's also known as a great defensive mind. Anyone under the impression that Saban doesn't know Xs and Os hasn't been paying attention. Able nailed it in the post above.

Nick Saban had won a title and was recognized as one of the top coaches in the world before he even got to Alabama. Not sure how anyone thinks that Saban was some no name guy who built the Tide up with relentless recruiting. He had that program turned around by the second season, with most of his players kids he didn't recruit.

I think Saban is in fact a great example of why guys like Charlie strong shouldnt be considered. He not only hasn't improved upon the old coach's record, but he has been a lot worse, and now he has zero recruiting momentum.

I throw more facts...

Saban is a great example because he has never won a single title until he started pulling in number 1 recruiting classes. You can use LSU as an example if you want to instead of Alabama. In his 4th season at LSU after an 8-5 season where people were asking for him to be fired after getting humiliated by Alabama 31 - 0 he pulls in the number 1 class in the country and then goes on to win the title. Go figure...

Not after he won the title but before.

Also while at Michigan State he had one season where he won more than 8 games. You guys would have freaked if that was someone Miami was looking at.

Yes Saban was regarded as one of the top coaches in the country when he came to Alabama but he is quoted in the interview for the Alabama job that he is not the best coach but he is the best recruiter.

He did not kill it there until he started bringing in the #1 class.

Argue all you want... The dude's history proves it and he is quoted as saying it but still you guys try and make it out to be some thing different.

Saban would not have won any titles if he wasn't such a bad *** recruiter. He will tell you that himself.

Charlie Strong has not lost his ties in Florida and has been a part of 2 national championships while at Florida.

Saban won 6 games in his first two season at MSU. 7 games his next season and 6 games in his 4th.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back