Hire Mike Leach!

no mike leach Miami should always be a pro style team south Florida has the players for it.

As much as I used to say this I just can't agree anymore.

The spread has moved into the NFL on a small scale and the weapons South Florida produces every year at the skill positions scream spread offense.

let me know how many college spread offensive players have translated into good NFL players. let me know the last time a spread offensive team have won a superbowl.

Who cares about that this is college, and spread wins in college, how many spread teams where in the college playoffs?

Advertisement
no mike leach Miami should always be a pro style team south Florida has the players for it.

The spread has moved into the NFL on a small scale and the weapons South Florida produces every year at the skill positions scream spread offense.

let me know how many college spread offensive players have translated into good NFL players. let me know the last time a spread offensive team have won a superbowl.

Who cares about that this is college, and spread wins in college, how many spread teams where in the college playoffs?

Yeah, even if what Rellyrell is saying is true (which it's not), that is not a reason not to use the spread.

Anyone who values producing NFL players the same as or more than winning college games is a flat out moron. The whole "omg we must run a pro-style offense so we can produce NFL players" is beyond laughable. We could never produce an NFL superstar again if we were going 14-0 every year and I wouldn't care. I follow a college football team because I like college football.

Last edited:

Yeah, even if what Rellyrell is saying is true (which it's not), that is not a reason not to use the spread.

Anyone who values producing NFL players the same as or more than winning college games is a flat out moron. The whole "omg we must run a pro-style offense so we can produce NFL players" is beyond laughable. We could never produce an NFL superstar again if we were going 14-0 every year and I wouldn't care. I follow a college football team because I like college football.

Preach

Has no one seen his teams play? They are abysmal.

The reason he doesn't have good defenses isn't bc he doesn't give a **** about anything but passing offense. He is the HC. He hires his assistants, he recruits the players. And for over a decade he has been a guy who puts up 100 points on lower division teams, and can't do **** against real teams.

Why? Bc you cannot win passing 75% of the time.

His record in the last five years has been well under .500.......simply said, he might have the worst record of any power 5 team over the last 3 years.

And if his players still suck it's bc he can't recruit (which we already know), and as we've seen at Miami recently, Miami DOES NOT sell itself.

I could care less anymore about Prostyle or spread, but the idea that we should hire a guy who lost 8 games in his third season at an FBS school is easily the stupidest suggestion for a coach you could possibly make.

Gotta agree here. Mike's time passed. I wanted him years ago but he is now a proven failure. I will point out one thing, he defenses do suck but he doesn't care. Al's defenses suck and it is ALL he cares about. If it was the only way to get rid of Al, I would take Mike. Then again, I might take Coker to get rid of Al.

Chud still makes the most sense if he is interested. My ideal would be him as HC with Butch grasping a straw and taking DC. That might be Butch's only way back after the UNC trash. One question, how many 1st round picks would Butch assemble in 3 years of a fun scholarship load?

The reason he doesn't have good defenses isn't bc he doesn't give a **** about anything but passing offense. He is the HC. He hires his assistants, he recruits the players. And for over a decade he has been a guy who puts up 100 points on lower division teams, and can't do **** against real teams.

His record in the last five years has been well under .500.......simply said, he might have the worst record of any power 5 team over the last 3 years.

And if his players still suck it's bc he can't recruit (which we already know), and as we've seen at Miami recently, Miami DOES NOT sell itself.

I could care less anymore about Prostyle or spread, but the idea that we should hire a guy who lost 8 games in his third season at an FBS school is easily the stupidest suggestion for a coach you could possibly make.

Gotta agree here. Mike's time passed. I wanted him years ago but he is now a proven failure. I will point out one thing, he defenses do suck but he doesn't care. Al's defenses suck and it is ALL he cares about. If it was the only way to get rid of Al, I would take Mike. Then again, I might take Coker to get rid of Al.

Chud still makes the most sense if he is interested. My ideal would be him as HC with Butch grasping a straw and taking DC. That might be Butch's only way back after the UNC trash. One question, how many 1st round picks would Butch assemble in 3 years of a fun scholarship load?

We might want to start asking ourselves what kind of offense Urban Meyer is running at Ohio State. Suppose we hired Chud, for example. We might run into OSU again, someday. Meyer is building a dynasty every bit as enduring as Alabama.

Advertisement
Homestly we need a young and upcoming guy to run our offense that has spread concepts, i wanted us to give a look to the OC from east carolina but OU scooped him up

Homestly we need a young and upcoming guy to run our offense that has spread concepts, i wanted us to give a look to the OC from east carolina but OU scooped him up

LOL

You mean the guy who learned to coach that offense from ... Wait for it ... Mike Leach???

LOL

We might want to start asking ourselves what kind of offense Urban Meyer is running at Ohio State. Suppose we hired Chud, for example. We might run into OSU again, someday. Meyer is building a dynasty every bit as enduring as Alabama.
But but Urban Meyer's offense is a gimmick!!

Advertisement
I love the bumbling fools on here who talk about "the spread".

Oregon and OSUs version is drastically different from Leach's.

While both systems are run out of a spread FORMATION, they are completely different.

Running the football and playing great defense are what won in the past and what wins now.

FSU, Bama, OSU all won recently by controlling the ball and playing D. No air raid team has won ****, and everytime one of those no respect for TOP, no balance, no defense teams steps up to the plate they get embarrassed; ask Oklahoma.

Btw the best team in the NFL the last couple of years was a run the ball and play defense team, and would have won back to back if they simply ran the ball on 1st and goal from the 1.

Advertisement
You have to be suffering from a case of mild retardation to still be on the Mike Leach train in 2015. Let us revisit some facts.

A typical Texas Tech season in the late 1990's looked like 7-5 overall and 5-3 in the Big 12. That was while Spike Dykes was playing non-conference teams like Tennessee, Georgia, Oregon and NC State. When Mike Leach took over, he began to dismantle the out of conference schedule. By 2005 it looked like this: Florida International, Sam Houston State, Indiana State. But what REALLY got you people excited is the number of points he put up in those three games: 56, 80, and 63. Nevermind that he scored 17 against Texas and 13 against Alabama. You people really thought he was some kind of offensive genius because of that Sam Houston State score.

The typical comeback is "look at 2008!!!". Yep, in his ninth year, after averaging a 4-4 conference record for eight years, the stars aligned and he had a talented enough roster to knock off #1 Texas at home. What you people fail to remember is that he marched that team into Norman, OK three weeks later and lost by 40. And where were they the very next year? 3rd place in their division, just like before.

So the Mike Leach plan was: get automatic non-conference wins, win four conference games, make a bowl, and fool everyone with big scores against bad teams. Now he's giving up 60 points at home to unranked teams in year three, but people still think he is a good coach.

Did you need to?

LOL

You mean the guy who learned to coach that offense from ... Wait for it ... Mike Leach???

LOL

Did i say for head coach?

Im guessing since you are bringing up leach

You have to be suffering from a case of mild retardation to still be on the Mike Leach train in 2015. Let us revisit some facts.

A typical Texas Tech season in the late 1990's looked like 7-5 overall and 5-3 in the Big 12. That was while Spike Dykes was playing non-conference teams like Tennessee, Georgia, Oregon and NC State. When Mike Leach took over, he began to dismantle the out of conference schedule. By 2005 it looked like this: Florida International, Sam Houston State, Indiana State. But what REALLY got you people excited is the number of points he put up in those three games: 56, 80, and 63. Nevermind that he scored 17 against Texas and 13 against Alabama. You people really thought he was some kind of offensive genius because of that Sam Houston State score.

The typical comeback is "look at 2008!!!". Yep, in his ninth year, after averaging a 4-4 conference record for eight years, the stars aligned and he had a talented enough roster to knock off #1 Texas at home. What you people fail to remember is that he marched that team into Norman, OK three weeks later and lost by 40. And where were they the very next year? 3rd place in their division, just like before.

So the Mike Leach plan was: get automatic non-conference wins, win four conference games, make a bowl, and fool everyone with big scores against bad teams. Now he's giving up 60 points at home to unranked teams in year three, but people still think he is a good coach.
If you swapped "Texas Tech" with an elite program in that whole rant, I'd agree.

Being at Wazzu and Texas Tech, he's doing what he has to do to set up those programs to succeed with limited talent and resources. If he hits on all the Non Con wins, and upsets some better teams in a year and wins 10 games...that's an awesome season at either one of those places.

At Miami, he'd be held to a higher standard. He would have the talent to run with the big dogs in Non Con, and to put up ridiculous numbers not only on the punching bags but on the better teams, too. It's zero surprise that when he played teams with vastly superior talent that he got his *** handed to him.

Put it to you this way--do you think that with the talent we had on offense last year, or even with Morris/Jacory these past few years, that Leach wouldn't have done well with that? Especially if he had some decent RB's to help give a spark on the ground to give him more balance? I think he would have definitely done well and maybe even better.

And as for playing punching bags...we're not exactly playing a Non Con slate right now under Chumley of Tennessee/Georgia/Oregon/etc...we're playing B-C/FAMU/FAU/Cincy/etc...so...we couldn't be much weaker in the Non Con (with the exclusions of the occasional tOSU*/Nebraska/U***).

Advertisement
Read the thread title ...

:madstare:

It's about ... Wait for it ... Mike Leach.

I find it interesting that you want the OC who came from Leach's tutelage ... When we are debating whether or not Mike Leach would be a good HC, and specifically, whether his O would win titles.

FWIW ... Bad HC's don't usually produce good assistants ...

Did you need to?

LOL

LOL

Here's the thing you're not quite understanding though....

IT'S TEXAS TECH.

We're not talking about Texas, or Texas A&M, or even Houston or SMU(all of which have had more success historically as a program). I'm not sure what Spike Dykes has to do with Leach, other than he was an arguably slightly better coach at the same ****** football program.

Leach IS a good coach. He's not elite or great because he places zero emphasis on defense. Because of that, he'd probably fail at Miami.

If you swapped "Texas Tech" with an elite program in that whole rant, I'd agree.

Being at Wazzu and Texas Tech, he's doing what he has to do to set up those programs to succeed with limited talent and resources. If he hits on all the Non Con wins, and upsets some better teams in a year and wins 10 games...that's an awesome season at either one of those places.

At Miami, he'd be held to a higher standard. He would have the talent to run with the big dogs in Non Con, and to put up ridiculous numbers not only on the punching bags but on the better teams, too. It's zero surprise that when he played teams with vastly superior talent that he got his *** handed to him.

Put it to you this way--do you think that with the talent we had on offense last year, or even with Morris/Jacory these past few years, that Leach wouldn't have done well with that? Especially if he had some decent RB's to help give a spark on the ground to give him more balance? I think he would have definitely done well and maybe even better.

And as for playing punching bags...we're not exactly playing a Non Con slate right now under Chumley of Tennessee/Georgia/Oregon/etc...we're playing B-C/FAMU/FAU/Cincy/etc...so...we couldn't be much weaker in the Non Con (with the exclusions of the occasional tOSU*/Nebraska/U***).

Limited talent? They have limited talent because Mike Leach can't recruit and ignores the defensive side of the ball. Boise State became a national player. Same with Virginia Tech. Louisville. Baylor. TCU. All of those programs came from absolutely nothing. They convinced talent to come to their school. Yet you want to give Mike Leach a pass after he has had one significant season in 13 years, and you blame it on limited talent.

If he was such a great coach, he wouldn't get beat by teams with better talent. That's kind of the whole point. If that's the expectation, then I am a great coach, because any one of us could win the games when we have more talent. What makes Mike Leach so special if he needs to have more talent than everyone else in order to win?

What you fail to realize with Mike Leach and his offense is that once the passing game gets beat, he has nothing left to fall back on and gets beat by 40.

Read the thread title ...

:madstare:

It's about ... Wait for it ... Mike Leach.

I find it interesting that you want the OC who came from Leach's tutelage ... When we are debating whether or not Mike Leach would be a good HC, and specifically, whether his O would win titles.

FWIW ... Bad HC's don't usually produce good assistants ...

Did you need to?

LOL

LOL

I guess the kid is good enough to coach for OU, and when did i say his type of offense is bad and when did i say that the assistants offense is like his? And we are talking leach as a head coach sooooo

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back