Hire Mike Leach!

My opinion ... Leach would have been an interesting hire to follow Coker. We chose to go another way ... That way hasn't worked. The ship has sailed on that opportunity, and his subsequent coaching job hasn't been good enough for me to think we should re-visit him.

But FWIW ... I watch games, too. And giving credit to Mangino for that 2000 Oklahoma offense is like giving credit to Coker for the 2001 Hurricanes. And you know it, too ... dear friend.

As for Riley ... He played and coached for Leach, learned the college game from him. But he'll have talent at the RB position for OU, and a team built for a more balanced offensive game-plan. We'll see how they do ...

I don't really care enough about Leach to continue.

Yeah.

Stoops didn't even consider the Mike Leach connection when he considered Riley for the job ...

Stoops mentioned Mike Leach and Hal Mumme on a couple of occasions. Leach, of course, was a Mumme disciple of the Air Raid offense and the first offensive coordinator that Stoops hired after he was hired way back in 1998. Leach brought the system to Norman, and even though he left after only a year and handed off to Mark Mangino, Leach set in motion the change that would win a national title and propel the program to years of success.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football...ing-back-the-air-raid-offense/article/5385718

Read the thread title ...

:madstare:

It's about ... Wait for it ... Mike Leach.

I find it interesting that you want the OC who came from Leach's tutelage ... When we are debating whether or not Mike Leach would be a good HC, and specifically, whether his O would win titles.

FWIW ... Bad HC's don't usually produce good assistants ...

Dear friend, while you're busy being super condescending realize that just because an OC worked under or with Leach doesn't...wait for it...mean he's running the same offense.

Holgerson came up in that same system, and his offense is completely different than Leach's. Leach detests the run. Holgerson is a run first guy. If you think ECU was running a flat out Leach Air Raid under Lincoln Reilly...wait for it...you wrong, dear friend.

Leach's biggest problem is his refusal to adapt his system and incorporate more run game. That's why he always fails and why most of the other guys associated with the original Mumme Air Raid offense have adapted their approach to spread teams out with a bunch of WRs and gash the bejesus out of them with the run game.

Go ahead and point to more articles, smart friend. You're very well read.

Unfortunately for you, I actually watched the games. OU's offense didn't really take off until Leach left and Mangino took over. With Mangino in place, OU's offense exploded because Mangino ran the football and balanced it out a little. They won the NC with Mangino running the offense; they went 7-5 or something like that with Leach running the offense.

Next.
Stopped reading after you tried to equate Mangino following Leach (who was only there a year by the way) as OC to Coker reaping the benefit of the recruiting and program building that Davis did over a 6 year period as HC.

You're operating on a different level that is far too complex for an unsophisticated chap like me to comprehend.

Advertisement
Actually, dear friend ... You're wrong.

Riley comes directly from the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach style of coaching the air-raid. Notice the time-line of his coaching career ... His ONLY experience in college football was with Mike Leach. After Leach was fired, he joined Ruffin McNeal at ECU ...

His ECU stats also support that he is a pass-heavy OC.

Riley, a rising star in the profession who will have other suitors, has expressed interest in the UK job, the source said, but wanted to get through the Pirates' regular-season finale Thursday night against Central Florida. His offense scored 21 straight points in the fourth quarter to erase a 26-9 deficit against the Knights, who ranked No. 4 nationally in total defense, only to lose on a Hail Mary.

Hiring him would provide continuity for the Cats' offense as Riley is another disciple of the "Air Raid" that Neal Brown – introduced this week as Troy's head coach – installed the last two seasons in Lexington. Riley is a Texas Tech alum who spent seven total seasons with the Red Raiders' program as a walk-on quarterback, student assistant, graduate assistant and finally full-time assistant.

He was Mike Leach's wide receivers coach from 2007-09. Riley's five seasons as ECU's offensive coordinator – he is also the assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach – hold the top five spots in the school's record book for passing yardage.

I also have to chuckle at you, of all posters, remarking on someone being condescending.

:jordan:

Read the thread title ...

:madstare:

It's about ... Wait for it ... Mike Leach.

I find it interesting that you want the OC who came from Leach's tutelage ... When we are debating whether or not Mike Leach would be a good HC, and specifically, whether his O would win titles.

FWIW ... Bad HC's don't usually produce good assistants ...

Im guessing since you are bringing up leach

Dear friend, while you're busy being super condescending realize that just because an OC worked under or with Leach doesn't...wait for it...mean he's running the same offense.

Holgerson came up in that same system, and his offense is completely different than Leach's. Leach detests the run. Holgerson is a run first guy. If you think ECU was running a flat out Leach Air Raid under Lincoln Reilly...wait for it...you wrong, dear friend.

Leach's biggest problem is his refusal to adapt his system and incorporate more run game. That's why he always fails and why most of the other guys associated with the original Mumme Air Raid offense have adapted their approach to spread teams out with a bunch of WRs and gash the bejesus out of them with the run game.

Dearest friend, you can point to all the articles in the world and tell me who came up in what system. I don't care about articles. I watch the games.

I'm familiar with ECU's offense, as I watched them. They're NOTHING like Wazzou. They run the football regularly. They ran for 2,100 yards last year at 5 yards per carry. Wazzou ran for A TOTAL OF 478 yards on the season at 2 yards per carry. That is an insanely huge difference in approach despite them working together in the past.

Holgerson also came up in that same Mumme system. However, he's completely different from Leach in that he focuses on running the football. WVU ran it MORE than they threw it last year despite Holgerson being a Leach/Mumme disciple.

Do you see, dear friend, how a coach can change no matter who he learned under? Do you see that you're not automatically locked into an all-out Air Raid, no run offense just because you worked under Leach?

This

I still can't understand the hate for Mike Leach on this board.

It's not hate. I don't know the guy. But he's not a great coach. Can't figure out why so many people want him here.

This is why...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...ants-to/nLnD9/

Commentary: Ex-Texas Tech coach Mike Leach wants to coach the Miami Hurricanes, and UM should at least listen

He'd take the Miami job in a second, installing the same crazy "Air Raid" offense that made him a spectacle in 10 seasons at Texas Tech until his ugly firing last December. So far, though, there's been no contact with UM.
"It's a great job and I think it would be a great fit," Leach said. "We'd have an exciting brand of football. We'll fill the seats and we'll win games and we'll win ACC championships.
"If you look at the guys on NFL rosters, in the Big 12 Texas has 32, Oklahoma has 29, Nebraska has 28 and Texas Tech has nine. Still, my record against Nebraska was something like 5-1 and we beat Oklahoma three out of the last five times.

Advertisement
I still can't understand the hate for Mike Leach on this board.

It's not hate. I don't know the guy. But he's not a great coach. Can't figure out why so many people want him here.

This is why...

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...ants-to/nLnD9/

Commentary: Ex-Texas Tech coach Mike Leach wants to coach the Miami Hurricanes, and UM should at least listen

He'd take the Miami job in a second, installing the same crazy "Air Raid" offense that made him a spectacle in 10 seasons at Texas Tech until his ugly firing last December. So far, though, there's been no contact with UM.
"It's a great job and I think it would be a great fit," Leach said. "We'd have an exciting brand of football. We'll fill the seats and we'll win games and we'll win ACC championships.
"If you look at the guys on NFL rosters, in the Big 12 Texas has 32, Oklahoma has 29, Nebraska has 28 and Texas Tech has nine. Still, my record against Nebraska was something like 5-1 and we beat Oklahoma three out of the last five times.

I take back everything I said. If Leach thinks he'd do well at UM, then we should hire him. Prior to reading that, I was under the impression that he agreed with me that he would eat a **** here.

Advertisement
Hahahahahbaah a jobless Mike Leach pleading for a job is evidence that he would be good?

The Leach cult's behavior is IDENTICAL to the Tebow cult.

"It's not fair, he didn't have the [coach] players to run his system!"

Did Jim Harbaugh have the players from a 1-11 team? If your team has no talent, you recruit talent and coach them up. Leach has proven incapable of doing both. He's not just not good enough for Miami, he's a flat out bad coach. He's the Tebow of coaches: lots of mystique, terrible results.

So we should take Mike Leach because Mike Leach says we would be a great fit? Got it.

I swear some ppl are so retarded. What was your last screen name?

It was BiggerDikCane. But nice debate. Strong facts you presented. Here's your case:

1. Mike Leach wants to come here
2. You are retarded

You checkmated all of us with that. Forget any talk about his defense, running game, recruiting, blowout losses, etc. You got us with "he wants to come here".

I would take him in a heartbeat over big Al, our defense might not be as good (cant get any worse than it is now) but our offense would put up 45+ a game, that would bring excitement which would fill the stands then maybe our defense would be good by default because we would pull in more elite players on that side of the ball due to butts in the seats from the offense scoring so much. Just thinking, give it to me guys:based-duke2:

:monkey-serious:

Advertisement
LMFAO where are all the idiot porsters who said Mike Leach would be a great hire after his embarrassing debacle on Saturday in losing to an FCS team where his team was favored by 33 points

Advertisement
Hahahahahbaah a jobless Mike Leach pleading for a job is evidence that he would be good?

The Leach cult's behavior is IDENTICAL to the Tebow cult.

"It's not fair, he didn't have the [coach] players to run his system!"

Did Jim Harbaugh have the players from a 1-11 team? If your team has no talent, you recruit talent and coach them up. Leach has proven incapable of doing both. He's not just not good enough for Miami, he's a flat out bad coach. He's the Tebow of coaches: lots of mystique, terrible results.

:greedy_dollars:

Advertisement
Back