Here Is How Miami Can Redshirt All True Freshmen in 2020 - Offense

You helped make my point for me about talented true freshman playing, even at the most ELITE programs as true freshman, never mind at 6-7 crapshow programs that lose to FIU at home on homecoming.... thanks

now can we please stop with the RS crap, the best players should play, no matter what grade/age

Did you honestly read any of the posts?

Rok is saying to do this with the players on offense.

There are 10 offense-side signees (11 if you include Walker and he gets the waiver).

Purely from a need-standpoint, we really don't need any of the receivers to play as TF, nor do we need TVD immediately. If we stay healthy at RB, we don't have a gaping current need there either. Which leaves OT, and Rivers/Walker are the only real candidates to play more than 4 games as TF.

Guys have to learn their positions, learn the playbook. You can sit here and say "best players should play", but in actuality, you are making an argument that "we should play true freshmen, otherwise they will transfer".

I definitely see a pathway where we COULD redshirt all 11. I'm not saying it should be carved in stone in the month of May. I'm just saying that with the loss of spring practice, and (what will be) the craziness of August, it will be like the "old days" where your whole signing class showed up in August, and they just weren't ready to play right away (there are always exceptions, of course).

We should try to redshirt them all, which only means sitting them for 8 games. If we honestly believe that kids are going to transfer because of that, it's a risk EVERYWHERE.

Nobody is legitimately arguing to start Marshall Few over Michael Redding for all 12 games.

Advertisement
Then why haven't any of the true freshmens who redshirted for us in 2019 fled to the portal? Since that's apparently what happens whenever a kid is presented with the option of redshirting.

Matocha
Payton
Hodges
Elgammal
Blissett
Harvey
Holley
Hunte
Williams
Huff

how are they not all in the transfer portal?
I said "Elite Recruits" that think they deserve Day 1 playing time, not 3 stars..... Look it is different for each kid, but I'm just pointing out the ease of leaving in todays CFB. You think a 5 star kid is gonna sit around long and watch lesser talented guys play in front of him? Used to be they "had to", now they just "portal out" to what they think is greener pastures. It's a new world rok…… I was really excited when we signed bot LoLinr and Hightower, and they were both Blue Chips who did not play for whatever reason. Now they gone and this 6-7 team in the heart of CFB talent has ZERO 5stars on the roster (Maybe Tate was, but he's a bum)

Well, sweetpea, I didn't say "let's redshirt all da freshmans" I merely presented how it could be done because I got hi af last night.

Of course we want the best product on the field, and if a kid like Mike Redding or Diaz Worsham or Avantae Williams is ready for the big-time in 2020 then throw him into the fire. But most of our true freshmen seemed pretty ok with redshirting in 2019 so what I've proposed here shouldn't seem so completely wild.
I don't think anyone said "let's redshirt all da freshmans" because I don't remember any homeless people from 1975 entering the discussion...

But, once again I'm not disagreeing with you, it's a great plan in theory.

No one with a brain: "Hey guys, let's RS all the defensive players from a marginal ACC Coastal team"

2021 HS recruits being recruited by Maimi:" :jordan: :jordan: :jordan: :jordan:"

The 2020 offseason has been lost. If it hasn't been completely lost just yet, it will hit home when player/staff interaction and practice time continues getting scaled back in the wake of the virus.

Forget about the incoming freshmen playing big-time college ball in September - it just wouldn't be fair. The first month there will need to be heavy reliance on the veterans while the freshmen find their footing.

With that said, here is how we can redshirt every true freshman on offense while allowing each of them to play in 4 games.

First, the depth chart of veterans:

QB
King SR
Perry JR
Matocha FR

RB
Harris JR
Burns JR
Parrott JR

WR
Harley SR
Wiggins JR
Pope JR
Few JR
Martell JR
Payton FR

TE
Jordan JR
Mallory JR
Hodges FR

OL
Williams SR*
Donaldson SR
Gaynor JR
Herbert JR
Hillery JR
Scaife JR
Campbell SO
Reed SO
Traore SO
Nelson SO
Clark SO
ElGammal FR

Redshirts:

QB
Van Dyke - (plays in the 2nd half against Wagner, UAB, 2 other games)

RB
Chaney & Knighton - allow each to split the final 8 games between them. They could each play every other week for the final 8 games. Knighton one week, Chaney the following. If one of them gets hot, they get to play in the postseason.

WR
Restrepo, Worsham, Redding, Smith each play in 4 of the final 8 games. Their time would be staggered so Restrepo & Redding play while Smith & Worsham do not, and vice versa the other 4 games.

TE
Mamarelli plays in the 2nd half of Wagner, UAB, 2 other games.

OL
Rivers, Walker, Washington each see limited snaps over the course of the final 8 games when appropriate.

Nobody really redshirting like this nowadays, and with kids leaving programs at the drop of a dime it just isn't that important. Too much risk you won't have them in that future you are redshirting and preparing them for. The kids that "request" to redshirt are doing so because they are thinking about transferring...I'm all for building some depth on the lines obviously as kids grow and get stronger.

RB- Both have to play
WR- Restrepo plus one more play...Maybe even a 3rd.
OL- Rivers plays...He's pretty polished as far as frosh OL go. Redshirt the other 2 hopefully...If nothing else it seems like Walker needs to mature, and combat some personal stuff.
DT- Roberts ehhhh...I'm cool with redshirting, I'd love to see him force his way into snaps
DE- Coin flip imo...I think one plays
LB- TAC Plays...No problem with the others playing if they force their way onto special teams.
DB- 1 prob ends up a striker anyways...Not sure if it's Harrell or Washington. But for arguement sake let's say all are DB for now. I think at least one kid redshirts, but could see up to 4. Dunson and Balom the most likely, I'll call it 3 and say K.Wash does as well. Clarke, Williams, and Harrell play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Redding should play, and not just 4 games I LMAO when someone says "well let them play 4 games, that's enough ". Imagine being on the team and the staff plays a lesser player the other 8 games to try to save a "shirt". That team would go to **** in no time, what a terrible take.

Last edited:
Both RBs don't necessarily have to play. Harris, Burns, Knighton with Chaney available if needed is fine. But we don't need to play them both "because they're only going to be here for 3 years anyway bro." If we can redshirt one of them, then redshirt one of them. What's the problem?

All four WRs probably don't need to play, but I wouldn't discount a kid like Few fending off Restrepo initially and/or Mallory playing some WR off the bench along with Payton. OL and DL could all conceivably redshirt. Both LBs could redshirt if the 6 other LBs are healthy. 4 of the 6 DBs could probably redshirt.

Let the best players play. We should all agree with that. But don't be shy about redshirting people, especially in 2020.

Last edited:
Both RBs don't necessarily have to play. Harris, Burns, Knighton with Chaney available if needed is fine. But we don't need to play them both "because they're only going to be here for 3 years anyway bro." If we can redshirt one of them, then redshirt one of them. What's the problem? All four WRs probably don't need to play, but I wouldn't discount a kid like Few fending off Restrepo initially and/or Mallory playing some WR off the bench along with Payton. OL and DL could all conceivably redshirt. Both LBs could redshirt if the 6 other LBs are healthy. 4 of the 6 DBs could probably redshirt. Let the best players play. We should all agree with that. But don't be shy about redshirting people, especially in 2020.
Rooster is going to be one of our return guys and get some carries, Chaney will take Burns snaps, and Cam will start to begin the season. You just don't redshirt talent like Chaney's and Rooster's.

Advertisement
Both RBs don't necessarily have to play. Harris, Burns, Knighton with Chaney available if needed is fine. But we don't need to play them both "because they're only going to be here for 3 years anyway bro." If we can redshirt one of them, then redshirt one of them. What's the problem? All four WRs probably don't need to play, but I wouldn't discount a kid like Few fending off Restrepo initially and/or Mallory playing some WR off the bench along with Payton. OL and DL could all conceivably redshirt. Both LBs could redshirt if the 6 other LBs are healthy. 4 of the 6 DBs could probably redshirt. Let the best players play. We should all agree with that. But don't be shy about redshirting people, especially in 2020.
:pgdead:

How many strikers will be redshirted?

Sorry if this has been answered. Couldn’t wade through five pages.

Advertisement
Let's hypothetically say that Chaney is behind Burns because Hickson wants to reward Burns' stellar record of community service, trusts him on blitz pickups and not to fumble.

What if Chaney is not actually needed until there's 4 games left in the regular season? In which case he could practice in August, September and October, play 4 games in November while retaining his RS, and if he's earned carries in the postseason then he'll play if necessary.

And once Knighton dips after 3 seasons, the torch gets passed to Chaney in year 4 and he's able to showcase his talents as The Guy for a full season before enjoying a long and successful pro career.

I'm just saying, we can get creative with how we approach the RB situation if we wanted to. I hope like **** that Knighton and Chaney both play a major role this year but I'm just not sure it isn't wishful thinking because Wing-T, shoulder surgery, coronavirus in Chaney's case. It may make better sense to bring him along more slowly if the situation presents itself.

Nobody expected Bryce Love or Travis Etienne to return as seniors.

Then why haven't any of the true freshmens who redshirted for us in 2019 fled to the portal? Since that's apparently what happens whenever a kid is presented with the option of redshirting.

Matocha
Payton
Hodges
Elgammal
Blissett
Harvey
Holley
Hunte
Williams
Huff

how are they not all in the transfer portal?

Because 80% of those guys need more development on the field or weight room and in case of Huff couldn't even play

You don't redshirt talented freshmen like Chaney/Knighton who can compete right away, you redshirt guys like Zion Nelson who have no business starting at Miami as a freshman and understand that

Let's hypothetically say that Chaney is behind Burns because Hickson wants to reward Burns' stellar record of community service, trusts him on blitz pickups and not to fumble.

What if Chaney is not actually needed until there's 4 games left in the regular season? In which case he could practice in August, September and October, play 4 games in November while retaining his RS, and if he's earned carries in the postseason then he'll play if necessary.

And once Knighton dips after 3 seasons, the torch gets passed to Chaney in year 4 and he's able to showcase his talents as The Guy for a full season before enjoying a long and successful pro career.

I'm just saying, we can get creative with how we approach the RB situation if we wanted to. I hope like **** that Knighton and Chaney both play a major role this year but I'm just not sure it isn't wishful thinking because Wing-T, shoulder surgery, coronavirus in Chaney's case. It may make better sense to bring him along more slowly if the situation presents itself.

Nobody expected Bryce Love or Travis Etienne to return as seniors.
Burns got hurt reading this post rokE, hope you are happy

Advertisement
Because 80% of those guys need more development on the field or weight room and in case of Huff couldn't even play

You don't redshirt talented freshmen like Chaney/Knighton who can compete right away, you redshirt guys like Zion Nelson who have no business starting at Miami as a freshman and understand that

I should reiterate that I don't want nor expect Chaney to redshirt. Only that we might find ourselves in the position of having the option. If he's the 4th string RB when camp ends, which is hardly an impossibility, there will be internal discussion about possibly trying to shelve him for the first month of the season if he's still slightly behind in terms of learning the position. Just a hunch.

Need more info on Burns’ stellar record of community service.

Advertisement
Back