Here Is How Miami Can Redshirt All True Freshmen in 2020 - Offense

Advertisement
It's Miami, we have kids leave early to go Rounds 5-7 or be UDFA.

Chaney has the makings of a 4 year guy. Private school coach's son who might even redshirt in 2020 because of shoulder surgery and inexperience playing in a spread.

Chaney has the makings of a 4 year guy. Private school coach's son who might even redshirt in 2020 because of shoulder surgery and inexperience playing in a spread.
There have been plenty of "makings of 4 year guys" leave early here, it's a joke and a bad trend that needs to stop

Unlikely but possible. Let’s assume that Lashlee bumps the offense up to 80 plays a game. Roughly half those plays will be runs (or more). There’s going to be at least one season where both backs will be able to get between 15-20 carries a game.

Not discounting the possibility. But looking at the 2019 stats for SMU there was a clear RB1. I expect the clear RB1 to be Cam Harris in 2020. For what it's worth, I think Burns was running with the 1s when practice ceased. He hasn't flashed much but he's in the mix too. I want Knighton and Chaney to kick *** against Temple but I'm not expecting it.

If guys are going to be on campus working out in June how is the off season a complete loss when the season starts in September,

I would simply point out that "working out" and "coaching" are two different things.

Plus, we lost nearly the entire spring, which impacted all of the January enrollees.

Advertisement
There have been plenty of "makings of 4 year guys" leave early here, it's a joke and a bad trend that needs to stop

This Knighton/Chaney deal is unique. Not since Edgerrin James and James Jackson in 1996 have we had two RBs this good in the same class. I expect one will soon surpass the other for any number of reasons, but it would be great if they split every carry and each rushed for 1k yards the next three seasons before getting drafted in the 1st round the way everyone here seems to think.

I would simply point out that "working out" and "coaching" are two different things.

Plus, we lost nearly the entire spring, which impacted all of the January enrollees.

They lost an entire semester of practice time and development. That's unheard of. And once they arrive in June they won't be packing into meeting rooms and playing bump and run coverage in 7on7. It's going to be a gradual return to what was once deemed normal.

They lost an entire semester of practice time and development. That's unheard of. And once they arrive in June they won't be packing into meeting rooms and playing bump and run coverage in 7on7. It's going to be a gradual return to what was once deemed normal.

I agree, preaching to the choir.

Better chance of the true freshmen doing something worthwhile in November than September.

Absolutely correct sir.

The Paterno mold of redshirting every true freshman can work again with the new rules. I'll concede that certain kids like Knighton and maybe one or two others are so good at football that losing an entire semester won't keep them from being able to contribute. But for the most part, these kids will be entering camp out of shape and without having practiced/trained a scintilla with their teammates, which is unheard of entering a season.

These kids aren't just gonna up and start tackling one another when they arrive next month. It's gonna be a gradual return to normal operations, and by then it will be far too late for the incoming freshmen to do anything except tread water.
This is the kind of sound, thoughtful, rational posting that makes CIS the preeminent Canes site on the internets. I used to be skeptical of RS'ing freshmans, but these are unique times, and we're a unique program.

I think that, as a developmental program, we need to focus on RS'ing guys and building them up physically, mentally, and spiritually to the point where they can contribute to the football team as 4th year players and enrich the university throughout their time here instead of being overly burdened with the daunting task of tackling one another right away.

Advertisement
This Knighton/Chaney deal is unique. Not since Edgerrin James and James Jackson in 1996 have we had two RBs this good in the same class. I expect one will soon surpass the other for any number of reasons, but it would be great if they split every carry and each rushed for 1k yards the next three seasons before getting drafted in the 1st round the way everyone here seems to think.

2004 had a 5 star and 2 high 4 stars. I like your plan in theory, but it's not happening my man

This Knighton/Chaney deal is unique. Not since Edgerrin James and James Jackson in 1996 have we had two RBs this good in the same class. I expect one will soon surpass the other for any number of reasons, but it would be great if they split every carry and each rushed for 475 yards the next three seasons before getting bad advice, leaving early and going in the 6th round.

fify

:ibis-roflmao-sm3: @ redshirting talented freshman in todays CFB where you can transfer from school to school like you change underwear if you don't like your current situation/playing time/depth chart/coach/ cafeteria food/whatever the f*ck else.....

I understand wanting to have a team that can rely on older players, it just doesn't happen anymore. If kids aren't getting snaps they're going to transfer.

I agree the youngsters may not be ready week 1 or 2, but we need to have them ready to help round out the two-deep by seasons end when injuries start to play a part.

Advertisement
:ibis-roflmao-sm3: @ redshirting talented freshman in todays CFB where you can transfer from school to school like you change underwear if you don't like your current situation/playing time/depth chart/coach/ cafeteria food/whatever the f*ck else.....

Kids can also play 1/3 of the season while still redshirting.

But it would somehow be better to get a kid 12 games of special teams play?

Todays kids man, check out the portal, it's full of them. They used to be stuck to compete/grow/learn/provide depth. Now they just move on elsewhere. It's why this "plan" will never work and especially at Miami. Trust me.

Elite HS football players are on the "3 years and a paycheck" plan. You go in some 5 star kids living room and tell him you want him to be a 4th yr Junior backup and he will laugh you out the door and wipe his *** with your signing papers

This year is different though, Gooner. There's a built-in excuse for redshirting kids because of the virus. They'll be at a major disadvantage in 2020.

Advertisement
This is the kind of sound, thoughtful, rational posting that makes CIS the preeminent Canes site on the internets. I used to be skeptical of RS'ing freshmans, but these are unique times, and we're a unique program.

I think that, as a developmental program, we need to focus on RS'ing guys and building them up physically, mentally, and spiritually to the point where they can contribute to the football team as 4th year players and enrich the university throughout their time here instead of being overly burdened with the daunting task of tackling one another right away.
It would really help with recruiting too...

Kids will see, you come to Miami & don't you even think about setting foot on the football field, you need to wait your turn even if it takes 5 years. It's the old fashioned way, the right way.

You know a great man by the name of Daniel Enos once said... "If you can't fix it, don't break it" or something like that.

It would really help with recruiting too...

Kids will see, you come to Miami & don't you even think about setting foot on the football field, you need to wait your turn even if it takes 5 years. It's the old fashioned way, the right way.

You know a great man by the name of Daniel Enos once said... "If you can't fix it, don't break it" or something like that.
:ibis-roflmao-sm3:

I think we are on to something here, we may just start out recruiting Bama/Clemson with this new strategy

This year is different though, Gooner. There's a built-in excuse for redshirting kids because of the virus. They'll be at a major disadvantage in 2020.
I hope your "RS plan" works Rok, I will be keeping an eye on it for sure

That's what we did with players in the past. Kids want to play early, it's not a Miami thing, it's everywhere in college football, so you find ways to get them on the field.

Advertisement
Back