Here Is How Miami Can Redshirt All True Freshmen in 2020 - Offense

Todays kids man, check out the portal, it's full of them. They used to be stuck to compete/grow/learn/provide depth. Now they just move on elsewhere. It's why this "plan" will never work and especially at Miami. Trust me.

Elite HS football players are on the "3 years and a paycheck" plan. You go in some 5 star kids living room and tell him you want him to be a 4th yr Junior backup and he will laugh you out the door and wipe his *** with your signing papers

Kids only have to be at school for 3 years. Makes no difference if it's 3 years of playing (part or full time), or 2.333 years and a redshirt.

If you give meaningful playing time to a kid (4 games as a true freshman), almost nobody will transfer after 1 year. "4th year junior backup", now that's a different story, and maybe if a kid is still a backup after 4 years, maybe just maybe he SHOULD transfer, though I'm not sure the SEC/Big 10 offers will still be there.

Advertisement
It would really help with recruiting too...

Kids will see, you come to Miami & don't you even think about setting foot on the football field, you need to wait your turn even if it takes 5 years. It's the old fashioned way, the right way.

You know a great man by the name of Daniel Enos once said... "If you can't fix it, don't break it" or something like that.
It's a return to the glory years where guys waited their turn, and the team came first. I think we can set the tone for all of college football to start doing it the right way again if we handle this correctly.

Kids only have to be at school for 3 years. Makes no difference if it's 3 years of playing (part or full time), or 2.333 years and a redshirt.

If you give meaningful playing time to a kid (4 games as a true freshman), almost nobody will transfer after 1 year. "4th year junior backup", now that's a different story, and maybe if a kid is still a backup after 4 years, maybe just maybe he SHOULD transfer, though I'm not sure the SEC/Big 10 offers will still be there.
Tell that to Jordan Battle, Evan Neal and other SoFla kids that spurned us to play as true freshman to Bama. Times are different my man, if you try to sit talented incoming freshman you will lose them. Freshman play and start for NC teams, and elite HS kids are gonna want to play, and not 4 games a season. Too easy to say I'm out in todays CFB.

We got Jimmy Murphy scoring TDs while a 5 star recruit RB can't get a touch
Dude it was 56-0 at the time. Who knows if Lingard was healthy all year. People who attended the games said he was still walking gingerly.

Advertisement
Chaney has the makings of a 4 year guy. Private school coach's son who might even redshirt in 2020 because of shoulder surgery and inexperience playing in a spread.

You missed a whole thread about how he’s healthy and ready to go.

This is the kind of sound, thoughtful, rational posting that makes CIS the preeminent Canes site on the internets. I used to be skeptical of RS'ing freshmans, but these are unique times, and we're a unique program.

I think that, as a developmental program, we need to focus on RS'ing guys and building them up physically, mentally, and spiritually to the point where they can contribute to the football team as 4th year players and enrich the university throughout their time here instead of being overly burdened with the daunting task of tackling one another right away.

This is the system that has worked quite well at Clemson. They don't always finish with the best recruiting class but they're expert at keeping their kids around and having them ready when their time comes. It wouldn't hurt to make a concerted effort in shifting how these kids think about their time at U of Miami (Fla.) and this is the perfect year to begin. We've been plagued by the "get yo 3 and flee" mentality for too long. A correction must occur if the culture here will be saved.

It would really help with recruiting too...

Kids will see, you come to Miami & don't you even think about setting foot on the football field, you need to wait your turn even if it takes 5 years. It's the old fashioned way, the right way.

You know a great man by the name of Daniel Enos once said... "If you can't fix it, don't break it" or something like that.

Would you concede that what Miami has been doing the past 16 years hasn't worked - and that maybe it's time we stop selling ourselves as nothing but a conduit to the NFL?

Last edited:
Advertisement

4 full games while retaining your eligibility isn't a bad deal for the player in question. It's like people aren't aware of these new rules.

If the player is obviously ready to contribute but is held back just to preserve his eligibility - then that's a problem. But that situation will be few and far between in 2020 with the lack of preparation.

Would you concede that what Miami has been doing the past 16 years hasn't worked - and that maybe it's time we stop selling ourselves as nothing but a conduit to the NFL?
There's nothing to concede because I'm not arguing with you O' wise Fisheman.

I agree, lets Redshirt all the Freshman, because Corona has made it impossible for Freshmen to play at Miami.

No other program will do this & I'm sure it wouldn't be used against us on the recruiting trail or that it would expedite many of them to the transfer portal, but yes, it's a great plan in theory...

Tell that to Jordan Battle, Evan Neal and other SoFla kids that spurned us to play as true freshman to Bama. Times are different my man, if you try to sit talented incoming freshman you will lose them. Freshman play and start for NC teams, and elite HS kids are gonna want to play, and not 4 games a season. Too easy to say I'm out in todays CFB.

If you think that's why those kids picked Alabama, then I have a great piece of property to sell you, about 20 miles west of Krome Avenue.

Of ALL the places where a kid thinks he is going to play as a true freshman, Alabama has to be the least believable. And let's not pretend like Miami was telling those kids that they would NOT play as freshmen at Miami. We absolutely have a very pronounced trend of playing freshmen (we played an entire LB corps as true freshmen).

Jordan Battle and Evan Neal picked Alabama because...IT'S ALABAMA (at least at this point in history). They didn't pick Alabama because the true freshman playing time is so much greater than it is at Miami.

Coaching? Sure. Development? Yes. Wins & losses? Absolutely. NFL draft prospects? It's a matter of public record.

But true freshman playing time? **** no.

Advertisement
4 full games while retaining your eligibility isn't a bad deal for the player in question. It's like people aren't aware of these new rules.

If the player is obviously ready to contribute but is held back just to preserve his eligibility - then that's a problem. But that situation will be few and far between in 2020 with the lack of preparation.
It's like your not aware of the portal and the ease of using it......

If you think that's why those kids picked Alabama, then I have a great piece of property to sell you, about 20 miles west of Krome Avenue.

Of ALL the places where a kid thinks he is going to play as a true freshman, Alabama has to be the least believable. And let's not pretend like Miami was telling those kids that they would NOT play as freshmen at Miami. We absolutely have a very pronounced trend of playing freshmen (we played an entire LB corps as true freshmen).

Jordan Battle and Evan Neal picked Alabama because...IT'S ALABAMA (at least at this point in history). They didn't pick Alabama because the true freshman playing time is so much greater than it is at Miami.

Coaching? Sure. Development? Yes. Wins & losses? Absolutely. NFL draft prospects? It's a matter of public record.

But true freshman playing time? **** no.
You helped make my point for me about talented true freshman playing, even at the most ELITE programs as true freshman, never mind at 6-7 crapshow programs that lose to FIU at home on homecoming.... thanks

now can we please stop with the RS crap, the best players should play, no matter what grade/age

Advertisement
We got Jimmy Murphy scoring TDs while a 5 star recruit RB can't get a touch
tenor (9).gif

I agree, lets Redshirt all the Freshman, because Corona has made it impossible for Freshmen to play at Miami.

No other program will do this & I'm sure it wouldn't be used against us on the recruiting trail or that it would expedite many of them to the transfer portal, but yes, it's a great plan in theory...
:ibis-roflmao-sm3: :ibis-roflmao-sm3: :ibis-roflmao-sm3:

This debate is GOLD

Last edited:

Well, sweetpea, I didn't say "let's redshirt all da freshmans" I merely presented how it could be done because I got hi af last night.

Of course we want the best product on the field, and if a kid like Mike Redding or Diaz Worsham or Avantae Williams is ready for the big-time in 2020 then throw him into the fire. But most of our true freshmen seemed pretty ok with redshirting in 2019 so what I've proposed here shouldn't seem so completely wild.

This is the worst thing to happen to CFB in the past 25 years, and it will only get worse. Kids sitting out Bowl games is 2nd. Times have changed, drastically

Then why haven't any of the true freshmens who redshirted for us in 2019 fled to the portal? Since that's apparently what happens whenever a kid is presented with the option of redshirting.

Matocha
Payton
Hodges
Elgammal
Blissett
Harvey
Holley
Hunte
Williams
Huff

how are they not all in the transfer portal?

Advertisement
Back