Here Is How Miami Can Redshirt All True Freshmen in 2020 - Offense

rok

N-U-D-E-S-I-N-B-I-O
The 2020 offseason has been lost. If it hasn't been completely lost just yet, it will hit home when player/staff interaction and practice time continues getting scaled back in the wake of the virus.

Forget about the incoming freshmen playing big-time college ball in September - it just wouldn't be fair. The first month there will need to be heavy reliance on the veterans while the freshmen find their footing.

With that said, here is how we can redshirt every true freshman on offense while allowing each of them to play in 4 games.

First, the depth chart of veterans:

QB
King SR
Perry JR
Matocha FR

RB
Harris JR
Burns JR
Parrott JR

WR
Harley SR
Wiggins JR
Pope JR
Few JR
Martell JR
Payton FR

TE
Jordan JR
Mallory JR
Hodges FR

OL
Williams SR*
Donaldson SR
Gaynor JR
Herbert JR
Hillery JR
Scaife JR
Campbell SO
Reed SO
Traore SO
Nelson SO
Clark SO
ElGammal FR

Redshirts:

QB
Van Dyke - (plays in the 2nd half against Wagner, UAB, 2 other games)

RB
Chaney & Knighton - allow each to split the final 8 games between them. They could each play every other week for the final 8 games. Knighton one week, Chaney the following. If one of them gets hot, they get to play in the postseason.

WR
Restrepo, Worsham, Redding, Smith each play in 4 of the final 8 games. Their time would be staggered so Restrepo & Redding play while Smith & Worsham do not, and vice versa the other 4 games.

TE
Mamarelli plays in the 2nd half of Wagner, UAB, 2 other games.

OL
Rivers, Walker, Washington each see limited snaps over the course of the final 8 games when appropriate.

Advertisement
Advertisement
RBs, no, Wr. yes. I would redshirt just about every other group with the exception of lb, and db. We need to get some positions some game experience

image.gif

Rok casting a good line with this thread...

Advertisement
I seriously, seriously doubt we'd redshirt either of the RBs. Considering the numbers there, I just can't see either of them playing only 4 games. RB is one position where you simply never recruit a guy that isn't physically ready to play. Unless it a Burns situation where he's dealing with injuries. It's not like an OL that needs to learn a lot of technique, and reshape his body. Or DL that needs the same. Most RBs are ready physically, and can learn enough to play right away.

Also, why ever redshirt a RB? If they are any good, they are not staying 5 years.

I'm very surprised you feel this way Sin.

Good Morning my friend

Whether it be poor performance or seniority Mandy does not bench players especially upperclassmen

Ivey was the most horrible player on defense and continued to START

Miller is our BEST DT but Nesta Silvera will continue to START despite no impact on passing or running downs

Mike Harly vs Vatech was the worst performance by a Canes WR probably in past decade and continued to get major burn during that same game and beyond

Advertisement
Good Morning my friend

Whether it be poor performance or seniority Mandy does not bench players especially upperclassmen

Ivey was the most horrible player on defense and continued to START

Miller is our BEST DT but Nesta Silvera will continue to START despite no impact on passing or running downs

Mike Harly vs Vatech was the worst performance by a Canes WR probably in past decade and continued to get major burn during that same game and beyond
Miller not playing more is mind boggling. I just don't get it. 5 snaps a game just isn't enough for a guy that does nothing but wreck the interior.

Does not make one lick of sense to redshirt a talented RB. They simply do not stay 4 years.

Typically I would agree but Knighton and Chaney should have their eligibility staggered. They're not both turning pro after 3 seasons.

Advertisement
If guys like Walton, Homer and DJD can leave early so can these two

Yes, certainly they are both talented enough. But unless we expect them both to rush for 1k yards the next 3 seasons, it's unlikely they would enter the NFL Draft the same year.

Lendale White and Reggie Bush did it, but it's not likely with Miami moving to a spread as there won't be enough touches to go around.

Knighton moving to a pass-catching role could set him apart. And they should both get a look in the return game.

Advertisement
Back