Here is a simple exercise that may interest some...

Up there, light bulbs we're exploding and glass was "flying around". Everyone but me and my buddy fled to the overhang below.
Lol. Man I loves those days and the noise. Was so awesome watching the program rise from the ashes.

Advertisement
42. My first game in the Orange Bowl was back in 1987. My uncle had gotten some free tickets to a game against some bum team ( I don’t even remember who). A few years later my mom got season tickets in the end zone and we went to every home game through the 1997 season. When I moved back to south Florida in 2001, I got season tickets again and have been at almost every home game (and a few always) since. 2020 is the first year I didn’t go to a Miami game in over 30 years

30, remember watching the games as far back as I can remember. I remember Edge going off on UCLA and being absolutely heartbroken after OSU. I fulfilled my lifelong goal and I am currently a grad student UM.

Advertisement
It may surprise you that A) I went to school for an education and B) The Canes absolutely sucked until my last year there.
A) I get all that but bruh, but you stayed in your dorm all 4 years or what? Lol
B) you hopped on the train when we got good?

54 1/2. Born and raised on Miami Beach. Both parents went to UM as did multiple family members, from undergrad to graduate schools, some of whom have done a lot for UM.

Started going to games as a young kid in the 1970’s when we weren’t that good and I baked in the Orange Bowl sun on many afternoons. Back then they gave tickets away - you could get a free ticket with the purchase of a Whopper meal at Burger King though my family had season tickets. I attended 3 National Championship games - 1983, 1987 and 2001.

Wanted to go away for school so went up to DC for undergrad and chose a school with no football team so I’d have no conflicts of allegiance. Lol yes I actually factored that into my college decision making at 17.

A) I get all that but bruh, but you stayed in your dorm all 4 years or what? Lol
B) you hopped on the train when we got good?
I watched games when my friends dragged me onto the metro. We lost a lot. I wouldn't call myself a fan, if that's what you are asking. I was a geek reading comics, DJing college radio, playing RPGs. I wouldn't even say I liked football.

Advertisement
Thank you, all, for posting. I am amazed at seeing some of y'all ages and love seeing the stories. I would have never guessed some of your ages or been WAY off.
To all the old geezers...keep rocking that Orange and Green. To the young bucks that have not see The Canes at full power....Hang in there, it is coming again!
Thanks for starting this thread Troy. It’s great getting to know our Canes brothers a little better.

Be very wary of us “old” geezers. We can still kick some ***! Lol

48. Canes fan since about 86-87ish. From Georgia, had relatives that lived in Miami. I visited one extended weekend and one of my older cousins took me to a game. Fell in love with the Orange and Green color scheme (that was foreign in GA, 😂), the *** kickin going on, some of the prettiest women I felt like I’d ever seen (wearing very little clothing), and a whole lotta people that looked like me. I was hooked! At UGA games during that time, even as a kid, I felt outta place. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
37. First memory or game was ND in 89. However, was really born into it. My dad grew up near the Orange Bowl when his family came over after WW2, and he used to walk to the games as a kid. Then he went to Miami for undergrad and grad school. I followed suit for grad school. We’ve had tickets since the 80s and used to do a lot of bigger road games... was at the Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl in both 92 and 00, Rose Bowl, UCLA 95, Washington, Tennessee off the top of my head.

I'm 50, and I became a fan in 1989, up here in northern NJ, when I just turned on the TV and saw the Canes playing fsu. Fell in love with the orange and green colors and also with the name of the team.... I repeated "The Miami Hurricanes " about 10 times and said to myself, ****! That sounds dope!
Even though we lost that game, I was hooked with Tiger Clark and the Canes winning the Title that year!

I Love "The Miami Hurricanes!"

@Rellyrell, my wife is your age pimp! LOL and @LeedsCane, I was in Leeds with the US boxing team in '88, and '91, Loved my time there and of course, the women!!! @NicKane, you're a lucky dude to be at those games young *** ****....

Advertisement
41. Thankfully, mom made me a fan early on in the eighties and her father had season tickets at the time. She always told me you cheer for your team win OR lose.

First game was at the Orange Bowl against Nebraska in 89 or 92...(when I was 9 or 12) and the place was packed! I remember the crowd chanting “” and “Z-E-R-O, ZERO!!!”

Only watched Miami games on tv at the house growing up as a kid. I cut grass in middle school and saved up $100 to buy a black pullover Miami Hurricanes Starter jacket.

Dad was a ‘Bama alumni and attended when Bear Bryant was the coach. He never showed interest in their football team until Saban won their first NC. He still doesn’t understand why my brother and I never cheered for Bama and I told him it was his fault 😂.

Yeah, I’m a fan.

Advertisement
Back