Here is a simple exercise that may interest some...

Advertisement
40 years old. Saw my first Hurricane game in 1987 vs VaTech. I was raised in Palatka FL, but most of my family (maternal side) lives in Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale. I was only seven and I don’t remember the game but saw family photos of me at the game sitting on my uncle’s shoulders.

I don’t have any memory of not being a Canes fan, which is kind of weird. My dad was a big Bobby Bowden fan and didn’t care too much for Miami.

We think my love of the Canes started because my babysitter’s boyfriend and eventual husband, Glenn Hill, played for the Canes in the 70s.

Advertisement
48- around 83'.

Being from Immokalee and my dad being a big high school football fan, I found out Albert Bentley played for the Canes and watched a game and I was hooked. Great year to start following too, lol.

Will never forget that night, my body was in physical pain. My heart was literally broken. I was 21 or 22
Yeah, i have other minor canes memories before then but that one really stands out. It’s funny because one of my earliest dolphins memories was the Monday night miracle aand my dad was also distraught after that one.

Also, when i started really getting into football around 13 or 14 i remember watching games with my dad. It was the first week of the 04 NFL season and were watching a redskins game. I asked him “why are we watching the redskins?” To which he replied “we need to watch Sean Taylor. He’s one of the greatest football players I’ve ever seen”.

to this day i don’t remember watching any other nfl team just to see how a canes alum would play

Advertisement
Advertisement
42. 1989. Cleveland, OH, I was 10 years old and My father put the remote control down because he was about to leave out to run an errand. I grabbed it and started flipping through the channels trying to find a game to watch when I heard Jim Nantz rapping/rhyming so I stopped to listen 😂. I had heard about the Hurricanes being this mostly black team who were supposedly convicts and rowdy beating teams like Notre Dame who were all Americana so I started to watch but then one of my big brothers tried to take the remote but my Dad peeked back in the room and said, “stop, let him watch his game.” He was killed by a drunk driver a few months later

At the 12:12 mark the on field reporter Pat Hadon said Miami’s middle linebacker Bernard “Tiger” 🐅 Clark needed double digit tackles for them to win and this dude was the biggest blackest ***** I had ever seen (Black Superman) so I was like, if he does it, this my team.

Go to the 2:23:00 mark at the end and play it until the end (about 2 minutes). He did it and dominated that game.

My father and Tiger Clark are the reasons I’m a Canes fan.

This is the game:

Funny, same game I fell in love with the Canes in 1989. Tiger Clark was a sick LBer!
My condolences to your dad and I’m glad you’re a Cane, brother.

Advertisement
78; became a fan of the Canes when I entered grad school at UM in the fall of 1964.

I had heard of Don Bossler and George Mira. UM got some national press for home
games since they were basically the only game on Friday night.

Advertisement
Back