Here is a simple exercise that may interest some...

40 years old about to be 41, year I became a fan was the 1983 Orange bowl our first national title as it was my first memory of a football game. What I remember most is my tios going absolutely crazy, which is probably why the memory stuck. Lol
I'm 42 and my story is **** near identical to yours brother. Except I watched that first title with the pops. His passion and reaction to that game made an impression on this little boy that took root to this day. He is gone now but I carry his memory into every canes game. I miss discussing every game with him whether we won or lost. I hope I witness ring #6 before my time so I can tell him all about it.

Advertisement
42. 1989. Cleveland, OH, I was 10 years old and My father put the remote control down because he was about to leave out to run an errand. I grabbed it and started flipping through the channels trying to find a game to watch when I heard Jim Nantz rapping/rhyming so I stopped to listen 😂. I had heard about the Hurricanes being this mostly black team who were supposedly convicts and rowdy beating teams like Notre Dame who were all Americana so I started to watch but then one of my big brothers tried to take the remote but my Dad peeked back in the room and said, “stop, let him watch his game.” He was killed by a drunk driver a few months later

At the 12:12 mark the on field reporter Pat Hadon said Miami’s middle linebacker Bernard “Tiger” 🐅 Clark needed double digit tackles for them to win and this dude was the biggest blackest ***** I had ever seen (Black Superman) so I was like, if he does it, this my team.

Go to the 2:23:00 mark at the end and play it until the end (about 2 minutes). He did it and dominated that game.

My father and Tiger Clark are the reasons I’m a Canes fan.

This is the game:

Advertisement

Stepdad told me the story of the Miami Hurricanes. Started watching in '97. First game I watched was FSU beating the dogpiss out of us.

I guess you could say that was my initiation into the family.

The UCLA game with Edgerin James runnin' wild sealed the deal for me. Won that game with nothing but pure guts, and a sprinkle of luck.

Last edited:
What I’ve seen in this exercise is that most of CIS became Cane fans during or after our glory days.

There are a number of us that suffered through times that would make these last 15 years seem like great times but us old guys did get to witness guys like the Matador George Mira,The Stork Ted Hendricks ,Jim Otto one of the best centers to ever play, Ottis Anderson ,Jim Burt Fred Marion ,Chuck Foreman,Bill Miller ,Rubin Carter and others that I’m sure I’m forgetting...times that were soooo bad that to get a ticket all you had to do was buy a whopper....I’ve run the gauntlet as to being there through the good,the bad,the really good and the really bad times but not once in those 62 years have I ever been tempted or thought about being a fan of any other team but the University of Miami.

I’m proud to say I’ve been a Cane since I was 6 in 1958 when those f’n turds beat Miami 12-9 ( I think that was the score.was a loooong time ago ) and I swore from that day on I’d hate the Fla.Gators and true to the words of a young kid I’ve hated them all my life.
I will be a Cane fan until the good Lord above deems my days are over no matter what happens on the field between now and then.

I just wish all you had had a chance to see some of the greats I mentioned above.Miami Hurricane football didn’t start in 1983 it just reached its pinnacle that year but it had a whole lot of greats that gave it everything they had trying to do the same thing that team in ‘83 did long before then.

Advertisement
Grew up half *** paying attention to the Canes. Dad worked for Coke and got tickets to the OB for Dolphins and Cane games. Became a hard core after OB against UN for first title and obviously was a maniac the night of the Bears-Dolphins in the 85 season. Two of the best atmospheres ever. To include the Washington game in 01.

Just off Prosperity Farms Rd. North of Northlake. It was a bit different in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember our Principal at Allamanda Elementary having to shoo a cow out of the breezeways of the school one morning. No more open land for cattle now. Big change moving up to the Appalachian States. Some good, some bad. I came back and stayed.
I was off holly and military Trail

Advertisement
49 spent every summer and winter breaks at Largo fl.patents would fly me alone to stay with my grandparents..when i was a kid from 5-17. Hmm those hot dog girls in g strings on the corner. Me and my grandpa bonded over that, fishing before the high rises took all the good spots, and canes football. Some reason i got to cool to come down to see my gpa. 1997 lost my gpa and started to go games again ever since.

Grew up half *** paying attention to the Canes. Dad worked for Coke and got tickets to the OB for Dolphins and Cane games. Became a hard core after OB against UN for first title and obviously was a maniac the night of the Bears-Dolphins in the 85 season. Two of the best atmospheres ever. To include the Washington game in 01.

So I was 3 yrs old during that game, and as a Bears fan, I think I may have cursed the first time. Lol. All was given was me witnessing them win the SB that season on my BD.

Advertisement
49 spent every summer and winter breaks at Largo fl.patents would fly me alone to stay with my grandparents..when i was a kid from 5-17. Hmm those hot dog girls in g strings on the corner. Me and my grandpa bonded over that, fishing before the high rises took all the good spots, and canes football. Some reason i got to cool to come down to see my gpa. 1997 lost my gpa and started to go games again ever since.

Sorry for ur lost, but those memories last 4ever.

Advertisement
Back